1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer League Stat Comparisons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 14, 2002.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I just thought it would be fun to look at the stats for 3 prominent power forwards in this years summer league. All three players have played in 3 games. Eddie’s stats look better than the either Gooden’s or Stoudemire’s stats IMO. The thing that really stands out about Eddie is that he is shooting 70% from the field plus he is a shot blocking presence unlike Drew and rebounds much better than Amare. Amare is obviously the least productive although his stats look really good to me for someone that is just coming out of high school.

I wanted to compare the stats of Chris Wilcox and Melvin Ely also but neither are on the Clippers summer league team. Maybe that is a sure sign that there is a trade pending for them. I started to include Two Sandwiches because he had really good numbers in the Mav’s 1st two games but his stats were so bad in the next 2 that I decided it was a waste of time.

Eddie Griffin:
    PPG – 22.6
    RPG – 10
    BPG – 1.6
    F/G% - 70% :eek:

Drew Gooden:
    PPG – 26
    RPG – 10.6
    BPG - .3
    F/G% - 50%

Amare Stoudemire:
    PPG – 15.3
    RPG – 3.6
    BPG – 1
    F/G% - 46%

2. mulletman

mulletman Member

reading all these posts on this message board on griffins performance at the summer league games, and after reading those stats, its seems that griffin has been the most impressive player in the summer league.

but then i read whats on the sportingnews. com and i wonder what games sean deveney and the scout he quotes have been watching:

excerpt from the article:

"Sure, Suns PF Amare Stoudemire is just 19 and is coming to the league straight from high school, but according to one scout, he has been the most impressive player at the Summer Pro League in Long Beach, Calif. Stoudemire has size (6-10, 245), quickness and, most of all, jumping ability. "This guy has jumping ability, and re-jumping ability," the scout says. "He gets up and down and back up as quick as Elgin Baylor used to." Baylor averaged 13.5 rebounds a game over 14 seasons. ... "

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/sean_deveney/20020712.html

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'd like to see the minutes per game as well. That would help clarify why Gooden's numbers are so close and in the point category, better.

4. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Can someone please post eddie griffin's stats from last year's summer league. If i remember correctly he did okay but, like last season, shot the ball poorly. I nice to see him progressing in that area. Probably because he is getting better shots. Also for people who have watch him play this summer, is he posting up more?

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i cant believe eddie is averaging under 2 blocks per game. i thought he would average 2-3. :(

6. haven

haven Member

From the reports of our fellow fans, those block #'s are inaccurate. Either there's sloppy record keeping or DoD and co are biased.

I'm guessing that most record keepers just don't keep track that well in summer league.

7. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

You may want to keep an eye on Troy Murphy. He is said to have bulk up some and they are asking him to play more at center now that Jamison want to go to PF and Dunleavy is on board.

8. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

9. ckrdkjr

ckrdkjr Member

i dont think the numbers players put up in these sumer leagues mean much. look at langhi last year. also look at the numbers players that dont score in the regular nba are putting up. bo outlaw is averaging close to 30pts a game( his career high is only 29)

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Eddie's averaging 3-4 blocks per game. Those stats are bogus. I've seen them give TMo one of Eddie's baskets as well as blocks in games. For the most part, the points are correct, not sure about the rebs, but the blocks are off by about 1-3 per game.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The one bad stat is the fouls per game. They seem high to me for summer league games.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A lot of that is the ref's fault. They're getting kind of picky with the foul calling. They're even calling technicals on the bench. I the Rockets/Grizz game had about 2 or 3 techs in it. Most people just start laughing. I guess the refs are trying to make the league or be known, too. :)

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

thx.