1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer League Squad- Any names that stick out?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hicklander, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Summer team takes shape
    Memphis guard Darius Washington, who surprisingly was not picked in Wednesday's NBA draft, agreed Friday to play for the Rockets' summer league team next week in Las Vegas.

Washington averaged 14.4 points on 44.2 percent shooting in two seasons at Memphis. He was named All-Conference USA and an honorable mention All-American last season.

The Rockets have two players off their current roster, forwards Chuck Hayes and draft pick Steve Novak, and two who played for them last season, guard John Lucas III and center/forward Lonny Baxter, on the team.

The other players are guards Patrick Beiline (West Virginia), Hollis Price (Oklahoma), Pat Carroll (Notre Dame), H enry Domercant (Turkey) and Chris McCray (Maryland); forwards Jeremy Richardson (Delta State), Antwayne Robinson (Temple), Matt Freije (Vanderbilt), and Judson Wallace (Princeton); and centers Mamadou Ndiaye (Auburn) and Matt Haryasz (Stanford).

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4017134.html

2. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

For me, Lonny Baxter, Darius Washington, and Matt Haryasz.

3. Oldschool Fan

Oldschool Fan Member

I was hopeful they would bring in Mike Gansey as well. Darius Washington is a nice pickup and should have a reasonable shot to make this team.

4. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

hollis price.

5. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

6. Diaw

Diaw Member

i hope washington will make the team
    dont see why we brought back baxter, he dont bring anything more than hayes
    i hope gansey will join this group
    and i hope that beilein will shoot lights out !

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Actually, I think having Baxter on the team is great. Especially after Baxter dominated the summer leagues last summer, I think the Rockets might use Baxter as the focal point of the offense, playing the role of "Yao Ming". This way, the team can see how certain players get the ball into the post and can play without the ball. Remember, the Rockets are not looking to add a big-time scorer. Anyone from the summer league who makes the team would likely be no more than a bit player to add depth at the end of the bench.

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Man we are a ****ty team!

I wonder if anybody on the Suns, Spers, Mavs, Heat, Pistons board is worried about who is on their summer league team.

FIRE GUNDY! :mad:

9. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Antywane Robinson, Chris McCray, and Darius Washington Jr. are the most talented of the group. Robinson is so skilled and has a perfect NBA body for a small forward. Chris McCray would have been drafted if it wasn't for off the court problems. He has great size for a shooting guard and is a JVG type defender. Darius Washington Jr. has the skills but needs to make better decisions.

10. Diaw

Diaw Member

some players who have never been drafted earned their place in the nba via summer leagues ... like marquis daniels ... or mike james ... so who knows

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

washington and baxter will probably make the team.

12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I bet the suns board is worried about Amare Stoudamire on their summer league team :D

13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Jeesh...that roster is not even worth going to see. My pops and I were going to take the day off next Thursday to go see the new draft pics in action...but I guess Battier won't be making this trip. :rolleyes:

Of all the chances I get to see the Rockets here in Vegas...they field this sort of roster after trading Gay. Bleh. I'll go wander around the desert in 110 degree heat...that will definitely be more entertaining!!! :mad:

14. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Between John Lucas III, Hayes, Baxter and Novak... id pay 20 bucks to watch a few young guys run the court

15. Diaw

Diaw Member

16. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't see Lampe's name on there. So should I assume the Rockets have zero interest in him now?

18. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Are the games going to be televised?

19. micah1j

micah1j Member

That is my question. Lampe has a team option for 1.1M. If the Rockets didn't pick it up by the deadline he is already gone.

Did the Rockets pick it up?

20. Rockets Dynasty

I wouldn't be surprised if JVG picked up Beilien as that 2rd PG if we get James.