1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer League Roster set

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Shot caller

Shot caller Member

<b>SLA</b>

Eddie can't play. It is his 3rd year in the league. Only rooks and soph.'s can play in the summer league.

2. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

TMo will find work this year. I think we only cut him because we want to bring in a more experienced player. I am sure that if Nachbar's contract werent guaranteed, he would be the one to go.

3. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fiinally an intelligent statement about Nachbar. Why does everybody else think he is starter material?

4. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I heard that before, but I see Darius Miles,Lamond Murray, and other players with over 2 years experience playing in the games.So it's not true.

5. mduke

mduke Member

Keep was kicked off Oklahoma State's team a few years ago....

6. Wolfhound

Wolfhound Member

I was reading about Boyette on NBA.com and he shot 71.8% from the floor at this years Portsmouth Invitational Tournament and was named on the all tourney team. A guard shooting that kind of fg % is amazing. For this past season at Weber State he shot 54.5% from the field while starting all 32 games and taking 365 shots. Sounds like someone that can come of the bench and at least hit a few shots when Yao gets the double team. Could be someone to keep an eye on since we don't have anyone on our roster shooting over 50% but Cato and Yao was right under 50%. We need players who will make people pay for doubling Yao.

7. CRC

CRC Member

the Cavs have a legitimate chance to kick our as* in the summer league ...

on a second thought, no big deal... they are going to do that to every other team :D

8. Nimnal

Nimnal Contributing Member

I live in San Diego and have been following Jason Keep. I think he has real potential to make the team. It was reported that six teams were talking to him after the draft (including Jerry West) and he said he would pick the team that he had the best chance of making. I'm excited that he picked the Rockets - he can run the floor, is a mean rebounder, and will continue to develop. Here is a recent article on him in our local paper that reveals lots of details on his game and physique.

NBA Keep-er?

Big man could be first USD player picked in 16 years

By Hank Wesch
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

June 25, 2003

An indication that the NBA might be in the future of USD center Jason Keep came in January when the
    Toreros faced Pepperdine in Malibu.

The tall, angular gentleman making his way through the lobby at Firestone Fieldhouse and taking an
    uncomfortable seat well up in the courtside bleachers was Jerry West.

And what could bring the NBA legend and former
    Lakers general manager, now president of basketball operations for the Memphis Grizzlies, to a mid-major conference game like this? Keep was the only answer.

"We had pro scouts at almost every game we played last year," said USD coach Brad Holland. "But it's well-known that Jerry does a lot of his own
    homework, so it was very impressive to see him make the effort to be there in person.

"I know that Memphis is one of the teams that really likes (Keep), and I know he is high on their draft board."

Fifty-eight players will be selected when the NBA holds its two-round draft tomorrow. First-round selections receive guaranteed "slotted" payoffs and three-year contracts. Second-rounders are guaranteed only a spot in the preseason camp of the team that selects them, with that team retaining their negotiating rights for one year.

Players not drafted are free to cut deals with teams of their choosing.

Speculation has Keep going anywhere from late in the first round to undrafted. Contacted late last week in Milwaukee, where he had just undergone a private workout for the Bucks, Keep declined to speculate.

"The draft is a funny thing, and I don't want to jinx myself," he said.

From virtually all reports, Keep has done nothing but enhance his chances during the three-month testing period that serious NBA prospects are put
    through from the end of the collegiate season to draft day.

USD's season ended with a 77-69 loss to Stanford on March 20 at Spokane, Wash., in the NCAA Tournament. The Toreros were parties to the tournament for the first time in 16 years by virtue of winning the West Coast Conference tournament, and Keep was the WCC tournament MVP.

Soon after the loss, Keep hired an agent, New York-based Larry Fox, and dropped out of school to concentrate his efforts on pursuing an NBA career.

Keep measured out to the 6-10, 270 pounds he was advertised on the USD roster and was a standout at a preliminary tryout camp for league prospects at
    Portsmouth, Va. He averaged 16.3 points per game, connected on 64.3 percent of his field goal attempts and secured an invitation to the next-level camp in Chicago earlier this month.

In Chicago, Keep's court statistics weren't as strong, but the ones he produced in physical drills compensated. He set a camp record in the bench press by doing 27 repetitions with 185 pounds and got high marks for a man his size in
    sprints and the vertical jump.

"I had been training like a mad dog, and it paid off," Keep said.

With the large-group camps done, Keep has spent most of the last two weeks in private workouts, either by himself or in the company of one or two other big-man prospects. It was Memphis one day, Indianapolis the next, then Milwaukee, Chicago, New York, Salt Lake City and Houston, among others.

"It hasn't been wearing. It pumps me up," Keep said. "There aren't too many people in the world who have the kind of opportunity I have. I want to make the most of it."

Keep is among the top nine NBA prospects at the center position listed by several Web sites. Said one NBA scout: "His body is his biggest asset. He's big and strong, and that combined with his attitude give him attributes that every team looks for in a player.

"Jason is what he is. If he can rebound and defend, then he'll be able to have a job. But I don't know that he'll ever be a scorer in this league."

Keep could become the seventh USD player to be drafted, the first in 16 years. He would be the first coached by Holland to do so. Bruce Bowen, a member of the NBA champion San Antonio Spurs, played for Holland at Cal State Fullerton in the early '90s and made the NBA after going undrafted.

A former NBA player and TV analyst, Holland gives Keep – a Moscow, Idaho, high school star who played only one season at USD after transferring from Oklahoma State – a good chance of being selected.

"I feel Jason is in a solid position and the percentages are that he will be drafted," Holland said. "He not only has size but athletic ability to go with it. I thought he ran the floor as well as any big man in college basketball last year.

"He has the physicality and toughness NBA teams look for, and he has tremendous potential to improve over the next few years. Last year was the first full one of competition for him at the college level. It's well-known that big men tend to develop late, and I think that's exactly what he's going to do."

9. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

10. TIburon

TIburon Member

I was wondering what team would pick him up and as of right now, NO one has picked up Bernard King...

I'm surprised but I guess thats just the way it goes...

All teams that he worked out for have already placed rosters for summer leagues so unless a surprise team picks him up I guess he's not playing...

11. TIburon

TIburon Member

Then again I didn't think Jason Keep would be on the Rockets roster either...

I think he will be on the Rockets roster this coming season...

12. TIburon

TIburon Member

On the NBA.com they have Jason Keep with Indiana(go to their website on nba.com)...

Does anyone have a link to Houston's summer league roster???

I haven't seen it...

13. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Jason Keep never got along with Eddie Sutton at Oklahoma State, (he liked to party and get into trouble) Eddie hardly ever played him even though he was one of the better options at C OSU had. I would have transfered too. It looks like he has his priorities straightened out a little better and is really working to make a team. I will say that this guy is mean and agressive and is the type of player we need at PF if he can Keep his nose clean.

Also, Shea Seals was a stud at Tulsa and I really was supprised that his play dropped of so much his Sr. year, kinda like TMo.

The rest I know nothing about.

14. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

The Rockets entry will participate in five games beginning with its first contest against the Los Angeles Lakers on Friday, July 11 at 9:30 p.m. central time. That contest will be televised on NBA TV, the league’s 24-hour television network. The Rockets' other games are: July 12 vs. Toronto (2:45 p.m. CT); July 15 vs. Golden State (7:15 p.m.); July 16 vs. Denver (7:15 p.m.); and July 17 vs. Memphis (5:00 p.m.).

Coaching duties will be handled by newly appointed Rockets assistant coaches Steve Clifford, Tom Thibodeau, Patrick Ewing and Andy Greer. Head Coach Jeff Van Gundy will also accompany the team, but will not participate during games. Following is a complete roster of the Rockets 2003 Summer Pro League entry.

15. IVFL

IVFL Member

Being that i am for Moscow Idaho, I could give you an in depth bio of Jason keep, but it would not be pretty. Lets just say, I hope he has grown up and learned his lesson's. Take a look at his age, that could be a problem. The guy is an athlete no doubt about that, but he does or did have an attitude problem. I for one hope his life is in order, but if its not it will be trouble. Still I would love it if he made the team, just becuase I know how good of an athlete he is. If he works hard and keeps his nose clean he could be a great pick up for the rockets. I will probably head down to the Rocky Moutain tournament to see him play, and talk if I get a chance. I could fill you guys in on more then.

16. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Odd coincidence: I'm going to Moscow, ID for a family get-together this weekend. I hope Keep does well.

17. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

You will not see The Rockets at the Reebok RMR. You might see Keep on the Indiana/Phili team.

18. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

i don't see eddie griffin's name on that list. Is he allowed to play? Or does he think he's too good?

19. Wolfhound

Wolfhound Member

He can't play he is a third year player, only rooks and sophs can play. He will practice with the team though.

20. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Thanks. I've always wondered what happened to him.