1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer League: Rockets vs. Wizards 07/13/2007

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Hungarian Rocket, Jul 13, 2007.

1. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Landry pretty awful at FT's in college?

I haven't seen any NBA summer league games so far, but I remember researching him and seeing nothing over 70% too often. (and that being his best season)

edit: jk.

although his season averages were interesting at purdue, 68%, 84%, and then 74%.

not horrendous for someone that would play the 4 right?

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

The first half was non-competitive but they adjusted. I think the problem in the past two games are that the Mavs and Wiz are playing with a C while the Rockets aren't.

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

lmao.

this is the first time i've watched brooks on a regular size screen (not on the computer) and his ball-handling ability is impressive. he's got that ball like a yo-yo.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I think Brooks will average 25 minutes per game in his rookie season and be in the top 3 for rookie of the year, that is, if he doesn't win it. He is just so much faster than anybody else out on the floor. When he went out and we brought in Flores, it was like we were playing in slow motion. That kid is going to take so much pressure off TMac and Yao, so that when we go into 4th quarter crunch time, they are gonna be beasts simply because they've been able to conserve so much energy playing off what he creates. I can't wait to see him out there with the regular eyes.

5. baylorbear09

baylorbear09 Member

where are ya'll watchin the games? league pass or what

6. WNBA

WNBA Member

any nikename for Brooks?

i like yo-yo.

7. wazzupmane?

wazzupmane? Contributing Member

Since his initials and nickname is AB, and he is quick. How about AfterBurner :D This kid is definately the real deal everytime he comes out to the court you feel he's going to do something good. Could he be the Rocket's version of Hunter Pence ;) ;)

8. Queeni

Queeni Contributing Member

No doubt he will be one of the best rookies this coming season. This is the first game I saw he played. He was very confident and quick, can penetrate, can pass, can rebound, can finish, and can SHOOT 3s. He is a real deal. Give credit to Morey!

Landry in another hand was out-rebounded and out-hustled. He did make the free throws at the end, but he is not a good rebounder or shooter under good D. I don't think Rockets will sign him this year. Harris is better than Landry in this game, better rebounding and better shot blocking.

Novak started badly, but did better and better as the game going. His 3pt shooting touch is still there and will be a good contributor in Adelman's system.

Other players are so so. I don't think Rockets will sign Newly either.

9. Queeni

Queeni Contributing Member

I like "AB". It's easy to impress and makes people to think AI. He is like AI.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

Morey did say he'd be kept overseas on draft day. Anyway with T-Mac, Bonzi, Head, and Snyder at the 2 there's no room for him.

11. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Aaron Brooks was the best player on the floor tonight.

Good Job DM.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Mike Harris' effect on this game cannot be understated... the Rockets just seem to go on a run whenever he got in, and lose their poise without him.

Harris is solid, he has at least earned himself a good shot at a roster spot currently held by one of the guys with guaranteed deals but not in the rotation(like Snyder, Reed, etc.). I'd like to keep him around and see what he can do. He's a bit like Bonzi Wells of the summer league.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Sounding Chuck Hayes-like

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Must be why I like him so much. He's a hustler and has shown some tenacity on the boards.

15. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

besides the summer league section on nba.com, most of the games air on nba tv (not to be confused with league pass). i've got the channel on time warner but not sure who else offers it.

16. baylorbear09

baylorbear09 Member

thanks i appreciate it

17. rserina

rserina Member

While I don't think Landry had a great game by any stretch, you also have to factor in the significant disadvantage he had in this game size-wise in the post. He was surrounded by fairly soft or small bigs in Eliyahu, Novak, and Harris. Compare that with the much longer and more physical trio of Pecherov, Visser, and McGuire, and you can see why he didn't have a great game in the post.

And it's been like that in all of our summer league games. Against the Clippers, he had Kaman, Thornton, and Davis, while against Dallas he had Pops, Diop, Bass, and Fazekas. What we bring in the paint size-, strength-, and depth-wise doesn't compare to that. It also has meant Landry is posting up mostly and getting touches with his back to the basket. When he plays off the ball a little more he can attack the rim and get easy rebounds and junk buckets offensively.

I am far more interested in seeing what Landry brings to the table in tandem with Yao, where he invariably will get open 15-ft looks from the elbow and baseline, as well as no body on him when his man doubles down on the low-post. If he can get some rebounds and putbacks and occasionally hit a jumper, then I think his prospects will look a ton better. For what it's worth, I don't think he did a real bad job defensively at all. We kind of played him around on all three of the Wiz's bigs and he at various times did a good job on them, especially establishing defensive position, moving his feet laterally, and boxing out. But he's not a shot-blocker and never will be.

18. Nero

Nero Member

Anyone have a link to the replay?

Thanks

19. craig.ng

craig.ng Member

is there a link that i can d/l the game? thankssss in advance

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://www.nba.com/video/index.html

you need to register first (it's free) before you can access the videos.