1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer League Game 3: Rockets vs. Suns featuring Mike James

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Taylor's stat line has been amazing. He repeatedly gets into the lane, or anywhere else he wants to go, and only has the one turnover in three games. As good as Williams has been, Taylor has been even better. Nanu is no interior defender. Reaches all the time and can't protect the rim. Joe Chee is very active when he gets the chance to play inside. I know he looks like a toothpick out there, but he isn't shy playing in the paint, and with his length, he gets his hands on a lot of balls. I don't like seeing him having to hang out at the 3 point line so much. Have they tried any pick n rolls with him yet? Don't think anyone else has a chance to help this year.

Y2JT and skroodup25 like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

He looked like a guy that knew he was headed to the Knicks.

Vivi likes this.
  3. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

yo mike james was so good. highest shooting arch in nba history

4. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Really excited for all of the "notable" players on the team, and especially for Taylor since he seems the most ready (aside from Williams) for real NBA time.

When he isn't with the Vipers, he's going to learn so much from CP3. Its going to be great to track his development. I feel pretty confident if he is going to be the back up point guard if we can't get anyone for cheap like Barbosa.

Williams is ready for some time in the rotation early in the season. This is why Dekker was expendable. Finding 6'7 wing players that the team needs to run the floor, hit an occasional three and play with hustle on defense aren't hard to find in the NBA anymore. Dekker has potential to be better than Williams, sure, but for our system, Williams provides enough.

Everyone else is still a pretty big project. But there are some blue chips in there that will be exciting to see in a year or so.

Hui likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Taylor and Williams were the standouts of summer league. Joe Chee ain't ready neither is Hartenstein.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

I'm amazed that they made a highlight reel of his 1 for 6, 16% shooting performance with 4 points.
    There was some good passes and defense out there, but he's too raw, he needs to go the D-League like Taylor did and improve his game.

Also his shot is really slow, as soon as the pressure comes, it throws his shot off. Can't be shooting 1 for 6 and the night before he was 0 for 6 and have SEVEN PERSONAL FOULS.

I was high on him on Friday, but after being at the games on Saturday and today. He needs work. He's a legit 7 footer so that's definitely a plus.

Little Bit likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He was a Plus 24 doe, highest on the team, he does alter shots.

We gave Motiejunas and TJones 4 years to develop, we park him at the Vipers.

D-rock and Vivi like this.
  9. tinman

Supporting Member

Yup vipers got sure

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Is Summer League over now?
    Or do we get another game

11. omgTHEpotential

Yes he's a project, but the good kind of project. His length is undeniable (probably second only to Gobert) and he has actually showed some toughness. You look at him and you'd think he's just a soft skinny dude. But he actually doesn't shy away from contact. He's just not strong enough yet.

D-rock, Clutch and Vivi like this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I know this will sound kind of stupid but I don't care about made shots vs missed shots in a small sample like this. He historically has not been a 3 point shooter in china and we have asked him to basically find the 3 point line every time and get those reps. What I like is that the shot looks good. He just needs reps which he will get in the Gleague this year.

D-rock likes this.
  13. Possum

Possum Member

Up

Plus you have to factor in that they're making him workout with weights everyday. That has to effect his shot. There is potential there.

14. Bo6

Bo6 Member

too bad it didn't include the "foul" on chriss that was later in the game.

that block was so clean and filthy that the whole bench reacted.

zhou man, hes skinny as 90s hooker in the LES... but he actually doesn't get pushed around as much as i thought he would. exciting prospect.

rm365, D-rock and skroodup25 like this.
  15. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

yea I thought it was a clean block too

16. Victorious

Victorious Member

Obviously Zhou is still a project. Nobody is expecting him to be a rotational player this year. With that said, I think he's further ahead than most expected. Qi doesn't look too lost. He agile and very active out there, almost careless at times. On offense, he's still searching for his role. Is he a spot up shooter, slasher, post man? He has skills to be all three but not yet great in any of those areas. Seems like they want him to play the 3/4 so he needs to work on his three ball.

One thing thats a big positive is Qi ain't no punk. He may get pushed around physically but he doesn't play scared. I like how after the block, both kind of got tangled up and Qi just threw the guy off him lol

D-rock and Bo6 like this.