1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer League Game 3: Rockets vs. Suns featuring Mike James

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 10, 2017.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Rockets not focussed tonight. Expected

They all expect the Melo trade to be announced soon and are preparing for the big after party in Vegas

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Troy must be waiting for the Carmelo trade like the rest of us.

Von Rafer, RocketsTerps and Vivi like this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Nanu- natural rebounder and defender, but a little on the slow side. Hasn't looked good. Another year in the D-League or trade him; not ready to play yet.

Joe Chee- very good defender, but also very raw; especially offensively. Nice stroke, but needs a lot of practice. Needs a lot of minutes in the D-League; probably 2 years away. Great long-term prospect; poor-man's KG-like talent. His combo of length and athleticism is rare; has killer instinct. Rebounded better tonight than the other nights.

Taylor - legit NBA PG prospect. Outstanding ball handler with excellent speed; takes care of the ball, very few turnovers. Also has talent offensively; key for him will be working on shooting. Best pure PG prospect Houston has had in years. He makes the team as the 3rd PG behind CP3 and Harden.

Oliver -I really liked what i saw; wanted to see more. NBA body. Nice 3 pt shot. Natural rebounder and defender. Looking forward to seeing a lot more of him in pre-season. Sounds like he's on the fast-track to make the team, but i need to see more. The versatility in impressive. He fits better than Montrez because he can actually rebound and defend and shoot from long range; he doesn't have to be around the paint to be effective. He makes the team as a reserve 4 on his defense and rebounding.

Harenstein -He looked better last night than he did tonight. There's talent to work with there. Versatile and athletic for his size; and he can shoot. He needs D-league or another year overseas.

Troy Williams -thought he played his best game of summer league tonight. He's a streaky shooter and i question his handles, but he showed he can score in a lot of ways and contribute in other ways. He's a legit NBA player; great spot-up shooter. I think he makes the team.

Chris Johnson -another versatile player who can play all over the court and shoot the ball; he's quietly played well all summer league. He's 27 and plays the same position as Troy Williams. One of these guys makes this team and one of them doesn't I'm betting Johnson is the odd man out.

I didn't really like the other guys enough to comment.

Y2JT, fattz, Richie_Rich and 7 others like this.
  6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

What about Ryan Anderson too, Troy? Don't you get excited about playing alongside him?

Von Rafer likes this.
  7. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I agree with all you said. Shawn Long will prob get a camp invite. He put up good numbers in Philly last year when he got time. Good rebounder and has length. Can hit the 3 at times and hits the offensive boards. Just not a good summer league so far.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Morey did a pretty good job with mid-low 2nd rounders and undrafted guys.

To me Troy, Taylor and Oliver can easily make the roster at this point, teach of them would be the third guy in his spot, i have no problem with that tbh, some garbage time and some minutes when there's foul trouble here and there...i also like Zhou and Nanu but yeah, they need more time.

Yeah, i expected a bit more by him from what i got told, pretty underwhelming to me so far, looked kinda active but still pretty slow...i think he's more a Europe kind of player.

Mathloom likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

He will take all his 3's

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. don grahamleone

You mean his number 33 jersey comprised of 11 threes?

13. don grahamleone

I think Zhou is going to be with the main squad by the end of the year. There's too much about him that's special. Such an intuitive player. He makes plays with his brain just like Harden. We might have 3 or 4 basketball geniuses on this roster with Harden and Paul filling two spots.

fattz, DD444, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  14. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

Oliver can shoot 3s?

15. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Thanks for sharing. Good shot blocking and outlet passing by Joe Chee.

djperm likes this.
  16. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Inb4 ZOFs

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  17. BobbySura69

BobbySura69 Member

Oliver looked good stroking the three ball and rebounding tonight.. reminds me a little of Faried but can shoot.. I know it's only summer league but I think Cam Oliver and Troy Williams might have a higher ceilings than Trez and Dekker..

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    From the ClutchFans section of the Thomas and Mack

skroodup25 likes this.
  19. MystikArkitect

Wondering if the Knicks are just waiting for Summer League to end so they can have their pick of Rockets prospects.

20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Good breakdown Aruba. I add these two the above...

Nanu: Must work on his outlet passes!

Jochi: Shorting his name, because I'm lazy. Agree with what you said, but believe one year in G-League may be enough for him to contribute. He's a small ball 5 in MDA system and can already do some rim protection and rebounding. Needs to work on offense and I'd like to see what Dream can do with his post game. He's in a new land, with a new offense, but his unique talents and BBall IQ in this brief glimpse looks good.

Taylor: Vast improvement over last year, but he's dribbling way to high and carrying the ball on every possession. If he can correct these two areas and learn from CP3, he could be a really great addition to the team. His speed and quickness give him a chance to perhaps be even more.

Oliver: Agree, this kid has some real potential, but it would be good to see more. I like his demeanor on the court as well.

Troy W: This kid is like lightening in a bottle, he's so fast and decisive. He reminds me of the famous military strategy--Attack, Attack, Attack! Once he's able to control his super human abilities a bit more, he could be special.

Hartenstein: Another year overseas and then a year in the G-league. He's a 7' ft ball of clay that if molded properly could be an exciting addition.

Overall, for NO STARS this team was a lot of fun to watch and has some interesting prospects for us to develop, with Troy and possibly Taylor contributing some this year.

Y2JT, fattz, D-rock and 1 other person like this.