1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer League 2021 Game 4

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bobloblaw, Aug 15, 2021.

1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

If I were a coach I would have JC run a lap for every dribble he took that led to a bad shot. When he gets done running those laps in a few years I bet he’s going to be pretty good!

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Christopher's father is a pro musician who pushed back when he was a child when teachers tried to get him to reign his personality in...

I think trying to tame Christopher is going to be an exercise in futility. IMO hes going to be the kind of guy where some days you'll scream at your TV with joy, and some days you'll scream at your TV in anger.

But at least you'll always notice him when he's on the court; he'll always have an impact for better or worse, but nobody's going to put a collar on him.

3. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Again Summer league is not the point. Its looking at what the player is doing well. Im surprised so many dont get this. Example JC not making shots in the SL is not something people would get mad at if they were good shots. JC attacking three players all full speed and not knowing to pass the ball is a big concern. Him not understanding to give the ball to Sengun in the high post so he can create after we all can see what a great passer he is, is another concern. They IQ to recognize that he is shooting 50% and you are shooting 18% and turning the ball over and you should give it to him and run cuts instead of playing 1 on 4 is concerning. THE ENTIRE TEAM was taking contested threes and running at double teams instead of running pick and rolls and passing it to the roller for an easy lay up or dunk or simply waving off Sengun in the high post when he was trying to facilitate means most of these guys dont know how to play team ball yet. SO while Sengun and Green look promising the rest are gonna take a lot more time of they come around at all. The only redeeming factor is Green in game 2 clapping his hands and yelling at JC when he didnt pass it to him for an easy lob. JC will only listen to an alpha it seems.

raining threes likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

cmon its not about not being ready for the finals.... they play 100% clueless.... they lack basic fundamentals of basketball...this is not their first time playing bb....they didnt suddenly fell from mars here and are getting to know about the bball today for the first time in their lives...YOU GIVE THE BALL TO THE BEST PLAYER...you set him up, make things easier for him, it doesnt matter who scores we are a team lololololl

but no, all they know is to chuck 3s over the hands of defenders

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Did JC play like this in college or in the combine scrimmages?

I wonder if he’s forcing it like he is for a reason or if this is just how he plays.

Either way he will never be a good nba players if this is just what he does because he’s not nearly a good enough scorer to play like he has.

6. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Which is sad because that speed he has in transition would be lethal if he just passed the ball.

7. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Has Christopher ever publicly said that his favorite player is Kobe? I bet he is cause he has that "Darkside of Mamba Mentality" energy that a lot of young players nowadays have. I hope he can sort those issues out with some time in the D League.

bmelo, Drift Monkey and Joe Rocket like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

theyre icing him out like they did with DMO... and nowadays people say "oh but DMO averaged only 12 points, he was nothing special"..lolololol

8 shots for your best player s not gonna do it...

Drift Monkey and roslolian like this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

JC doesn't have the highest bball IQ, this was evident back in his NCAA season and the main reason he fell to 24. If he had great bball IQ and knows how to make the right play in addition to his intensity, potential, lengthy frame, shooting range and athleticism he would be top 5 pick and he wouldn't be available.

Maybe he is still just immature and needs some seasons to grow up, not everyone is a prodigy like Green. Regardless worst case you can play him in the 2nd unit so he can ball hog and work on his decision making all he wants, I think he still has a lot of potential and is worth grooming, possibly in an EG-like role in the future.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

His college highlights look very similar to his summer league style.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

So I guess SL ended early right? All the scrubs are playing now for both teams except for Sengod.

It is pretty clear we lost this game cuz the best player only got 10 shots wtf was that? Sengod is the future alongside Green, scrubs like JC, Armoni and Justin Anderson have no business waving him off to clank their shots. Will Weaver should have his team under control cuz Sengo shouldn't be wasting his time if he is just gonna be waived off.

Grades for this game:
    Sengod - A. Man continues to impress. He should have 20 and 10 this game if his team had better brains.
    JC - B. Yeah the dude is the king of ball hogs but at least he put stats on the table.
    KMart - C. Only 8 shots which again is due to all the ball hogs but he also clanked all his 3s.
    Armoni - F. Scrubby scrub scrub. Ballhog no 2 and clanked his shots
    Tremont Waters - F. Who? All I know is he scrub no 2.
    Anthony Lamb - B. Only other player who had an efficient night apart from Sengod.
    Justin Anderson - F. Scrub No 3 . A guy missing this badly shouldn't be taking all the damn shots smh
    Matt Hurt - D. Really think that 2 way was premature.
    Usman Garuba - C. I excused his bad play before due to jetlag but cmon man. This dude is not playing like a guy who just incurred a debt to be in the NBA. I expected more from him than Sengod to be honest with the way he played vs team USA he should be dominating SL scrubs. So far he is just meh.

Drift Monkey and Joe Rocket like this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I mean no one should be making any final decisions on the team?

Only Jalen Green and Sengun and KJ are 100% going to make the main team. Only Green will be a day 1 starter.

So I think it's unfair to act like this is the final product. Wood, Wall, KPJ, Tate, Ego, are 10x the players any of these other guys are.

roslolian likes this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

He is always like this scouts noted he is prone to being ball hog king and making bad plays/forcing bad shots.

It's one of the main reasons he fell in the draft if he was unselfish and selective with his shots like Green he would still be a top 10 prospect.

raining threes and hakeem94 like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol i dont think wall will play any differently than waters/chriss and co..selfishness and tunnel vision may be in their dna

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Game 4: POOR PLAY by most of the players on the court! Disgusting is all that I can say for the coaching.Y

16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

You dont have to be a prodigy just to pass the ball no one is asking you to be chris paul. I think you guys are still missing the point. We know he is the 24th pick Im not asking him to be jordan. Literally the bar is set so low its just pass the ball lol WTF.

bmelo and roslolian like this.
  17. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

And no one is lol

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Wall might be just as selfish as JC but he's still a better player because he's able to make tough passes and read a defense. If Wall just decided to go for 15 apg he'd be a great player, instead he tried to score way more often than he should. Maybe with KPJ and Green out there he'll tone down the selfishness, we'll see.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That post certainly was since it was making a prediction on where this team would stand at the end of the year?

I don't think this team will make the playoffs, let's be clear, but I think to say that after watching SL games is also off base since really only 3 of these players will be in the rotation.

JC and Garuba look like guys that need Gleague time, these other guys would be lucky to make the team.

roslolian likes this.
  20. Boki4MvP

Boki4MvP Member

I can see jc being a Kyle Lowry type player.

Hippieloser likes this.