1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer League 2021 Game 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rashmon, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Blasphemous, but accurate.

clos4life and matchesmalone like this.
  2. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

I think he can be better but right now he is not. I love him but he’s just played 2 summer league games. I definitely think he will have a better career than DMo though

3. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

A better career than somebody whose career averages are 7pts and 3 rebounds? I'd be disappointed if he didn't haha. I seriously don't get the Dmo hype, we're talking about somebody whose best season was 12pts 5 rebs on 28 mins. He's hardly some amazing big that people should aspire to replicate...

4. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun's footwork is crafty and he lacks lift similar to Luis Scola. He looks better defensively than Scola though. He seems to handle defensive switches well too. He can get bullied by bigger players under the basket. Sengun gets blocked a lot but manages to get fouled in the process.

Green looked nervous handling the ball last night. He was very sloppy at times. I really wish the Rockets would have put a traditional PG on the summer league roster.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I like that he has no hesitation to take it up under the basket when he is surrounded by big men. I'd be worried about all the elbows to the head, ha. I can see he is going to get a lot of opposing big men in foul trouble. Then it's like baseball, if you can get the starter out of the game you can feast on the reliever.

hakeem94 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

A few of the things that I enjoyed most watching Segun was his ability to stay vertical when challenging shots. Most rookie big men take years to get that right. I also love his ability for recognizing where he needs to be on defense. He took a charge or two and he was right on the money as far as timing is concern. He looks strong right now, but I do know he is going against other young guys in general, so I'm not going to sing praises there yet knowing damn well when he gets to the real games he definitely will get pushed around. Another observation, I love how he keeps the ball high when he rebounds. He doesn't bring it low for the guards to swipe at.

I am worried about him missing easy ones around the rim. I know he has the touch, but once he gets to real NBA games, he is going to be affected by far more physical defenders, but I know he will adjust as his career moves forward.

#786 ElPigto, Aug 11, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Sengun's perimeter defense and rim protection are far better than advertised so far. On top of that he's showing off post moves like Scola and popping threes from the logo. What a player. No one's missing Olynyk now.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

And yet was +17 for the game. Had 9 points, 8 boards, 2 assists, 2 steals and shot 60% for the game.

9. Denovo

Denovo Member

I’m not gonna lie.

During Green’s first quarter struggles I had PTSD from some of Harden’s meltdowns under pressure. Anxiety was on a thousand lol.

Especially since he put all that unnecessary pressure on himself in the media.

I’m ecstatic that he didn’t fold.

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He did have 3 early turnovers which is why people were freaking out lol. I think we all need to keep in mind that J Green will not be running point for us this year, so we shouldn't worry too much about the decisions he was making out of the trap early on. I can't believe Detroit pulled that **** in a summer league game either lol.

11. Denovo

Denovo Member

Yea I agree. Green isn’t a point guard we have to keep that in mind.

Detroit really pulled out a whole gameplan for him like it was playoff game lol.

Him overcoming that adversity so early has me hyped lol.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I can believe it, the plan worked well for them in the first quarter when Green was playing right into what they wanted him to do....they didn't expect him to adjust to it by taking on a different role, they thought he'd keep trying to force things in an effort to show he was the real #1 pick. By not forcing it, he proved to be a lot smarter than I gave him credit for and ended up with his best game yet as a result.

A lesser player like Westbrook would have never done that and we should be excited about that....not to mention how good he looked off ball which will be more his role when the real season starts anyway.

After that game, I'm thinking the chances of me being wrong about him are a lot more likely.

Bo6, everyday eddie, noppeper and 7 others like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

matchesmalone likes this.
  14. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

DMO had a career ?

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya Westbrook just doesn't have the off ball ability and that jump shot that Green has to adjust like that.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Worse than that, he doesn't have the ability to set aside his ego and even attempt that role. If he gets upset in any way he turns into super chucker every time.

Seeing Green willing to take that role even on a summer league game where he's trying to show off was super impressive.

randerson, BamBam, noppeper and 3 others like this.
  18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

That might be the most promising thing of all. The fact that Green was able to put aside all the personal emotional investment he had put into this match-up, and ultimately make the right basketball decisions was fantastic to see. Naturally, with any 19 year old, maturity is always a question mark. So far, Green and Sengun have shown that it probably doesn't need to be a huge concern for fans. Hell, even JC showed tons of maturity last night, and that was one of the biggest criticisms anybody had of his in Game 1.

Bobbythegreat and clos4life like this.
  19. clos4life

clos4life Member

Right now Sengun is already a better player than DMo. DMo will never be league MVP of any professional league, and I happen to like him too but Sengun is just better.

20. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

truth hurts, it seems -

based on your rx