1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer League 2014

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikeyharris, Jun 26, 2014.

1. anchel

anchel Member

(I was meaning for this next season, at the Rockets)

2. thething

thething Contributing Member

Canaan has more of a chance to get minutes this season, but Covington has the higher upside. Covington's athleticism and body type I think gives him the potential to be a starter in this league if he ever gets it together.

3. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Yeah, he has just been a big disappointment....hasn't been "in the game" so to speak.Very little D...camps at the 3 point line and has no penetration to the basket like Canaan and Johnson. You could be right...just may not be a very good basketball player. The energy he has displayed does yell that he wants a spot on the roster.

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Covington won't play over gee if we don't add anyone else.

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I hope DMo wins the MVP of this thing.

6. Remii

Remii Member

Canaan was cold blooded in the 2nd half. The D in D-Mo does not stand for defense but those are the only two guys I can see contributing this year to the big boy team.

I like Covington but he may be headed back to the D-League.

But these guys still have training camp to go through so anything can happen.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Will the Rockets ever have a bad summer league team?

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>Isaiah Canaan (<a href="https://twitter.com/SiP03">@SiP03</a>) discusses heading to the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBASummer?src=hash">#NBASummer</a> League Finals after today's big win [VIDEO]: <a href="http://t.co/o0nNWNOAkL">http://t.co/o0nNWNOAkL</a></p>&mdash; Houston Rockets (@HoustonRockets) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets/statuses/491012736277422080">July 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. anchel

anchel Member

I'm betting for Nick Johnson ahead of Canaan for that Lin's sustitute role. Better defender, better all around player than Canaan.

Covington's had a bad shooting SL but he's a good shooter. He has missed a lot of easy shots too. Still, he has the physical ability and awareness to make a defensive impact in the NBA, and since an Ariza role he can score on cuts and threes (again, good 3pt shooter). Sooner or later I see him as clear NBA material.

The problem with Canaan is that he needs a lot the ball to help the team, and if he's not scoring, he's not giving you anything else, he's probably hurting the team.

Nick Johnson is a more mature player and seems more ready to contribute inmediately, in my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  10. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

One thing SL teaches is that experience wins. Ask Spurs! We should pick up Marion. Great veteran.

11. Remii

Remii Member

Nick is going straight to the D-League do not pass go IMO...

12. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

No way we trade away DMo when he owns the Dreamshake. Better postgame already than Dwight

13. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I agree.

I mentioned it in my thread where I compare some of Nick Johnson game to Chris Pauls. Yea it might be a long stretch, but he does have certain parts of his bball play that is very similar to CP3

14. bmd

bmd Member

I disagree. Canaan seems to be the better player at the moment. Nick Johnson can't handle the ball as well, shoot as well, or score as well.

15. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

Nick Johnson doesn't have the experience. He's working off a small sample size. Half a season on the Vipers learning the system, practicing his 3ball etc. and he will probably be ready.

16. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

How can anyone watching these games think Johnson is better than Canaan?

Canaan is a better everything. And Johnson's D is already being silly overrated. He was getting abused by Hairston late in the game.

D-MO and Canaan = worthwhile, potential studs
    Johnson = worthwhile, potential rotation player
    Covington = worthwhile, potential car salesman

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

d-mo and canaan are scrubs people.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I believe the backup job is Canaan's at the beginning. If he plays within his abilities, isn't a ball-stopper and doesn't commit a bunch of TOs, he will be the 2nd PG.

On the other hand, Nick Johnson has a much higher upside and I hope he seizes the backup role no later than mid-season

19. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

But they're OUR scrubs :cool:

They will have to be steady contributors for our bench unit

20. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Vipers' coach Nevada Smith was already quoted as saying Nick Johnson will take 500 3s with the Vipers. He has to learn our system LOL