1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer 2006?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Jan 19, 2004.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

In 2006, Jim Jackson, Kelvin Cato, Cuttino Mobley, Yao Ming, Bostjan Nachber, Eric Piatkowski, and Clarence Weatherspoon's contracts will expire. Mo Taylor in 2007 and Francis in 2009. I know it will take the max to sign Yao, but that summer we may also be able to sign some other big star. Anyone know who will be a free agent then. I know it's a long time away, but finally we will be out of salary cap jail.

2. Blatz

Blatz Member

"...Francis in 2009..."

That use to sound so far away. I thought I would be trying to figure out what flying car I should buy that year. Now I need to think about the free agents?

3. count_dough-ku

I've figured all along that's why they traded for Clarence Weatherspoon considering he has yet to log a single minute of playing time for the Rockets, even in blowouts.

They're basically doing what the Spurs did heading into last summer. Clearing up a ton of cap room so they can make a run at the top free agents in 2006. Who wouldn't wanna play with Yao Ming and Steve Francis in a place that has no state income tax?

In the meantime, the Rockets are sticking with what they've got(not like they have much of a choice anyhow) and trying to maximize the potential of this bunch. Will they win a title in the next 2 1/2 seasons with this roster? Probably not, but then again, they're not expected to anyway.

4. eyeagainst

eyeagainst Contributing Member

Yao isnt going anywhere.

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Actually, he played 6 minutes against the Pistons in Detroit.

6. derrock

derrock Member

So many different things can happen between now and the summer of 2006. Who knows which FA players will suddenly develop into an explosive player (like Arenas last year). But, it is fun to think about.

Here's a link of free agents at that time:

http://www.realgm.com/src_freeagents.php?year=2006

I can't imagine Ben Wallace or Richard Jefferson leaving their teams. Zach Randolph would be interesting and maybe Sam Cassell will come back for less money. Otherwise, the Rockets should first sign Yao to the max and do their best to sign Mobley.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i figure that all of that space will go to keeping yao and cat though. but there are some ineresting players available in that summer:

ben wallace
    troy murphy
    AK
    al harington
    shane battier

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You left out Shaq O'Neal. He should be thrilled to sign for the veteran minimum to be Yao's backup. :D

9. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Should we try and resign Mobley or Cato?
    I think the Rockets should sign Kirelinko and Sam Cassell letting Cato and Mobley go. Resign Jackson to one year contract.
    Roster:
    Yao
    Kirelinko
    Jackson
    Francis
    Cassell
    That is a SCARY lineup.

10. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

i'm looking for next year's free agents. U know, Mcdyss has a house in Houston, and Wallace and Cat are best buds......how about a discount like the one Pettite took? ;)

11. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Member

47 aint gonna switch teams. He's got the Euro mentality which seems to be geared more towards loyalty, shutting up and playing.

So do we still like Battier? Seems like he's not getting any pub, muchless playing time. If he learns how to shoot 3's, I can see him as part of a championship team ala Rick Fox, Elie, etc.

Where have all the great sf's gone and what is their role in todays game? Seems like the leagues loaded with combo tall skinny shotblocker projects.

12. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Member

Haha. I think even Antonio Mcdyess knows that Antonio Mcdyess' career is over. :)

I don't even like him as a cheap backup now even though I loved the guy in 98. We need a team that looks good on the court, not just on paper.

13. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

u never know. look at what Camby, and to a smaller impact, what Penny is doing this year. :cool:

14. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Member

I'd love for you to be right. Dyess at 80% of his former self would be an awesome piece to the team but I dont even think he's capable of 50. But then again, I'm no Keith Jones!