1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suggestions for sound system in car

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Howdy folks.

I had a sound system in my previous car. Infiniti speakers, Alpine amp, Alpine radio, Diamond subwoofers.

That car crapped out, and I now have a new (used) car. I would like to get a new sound system, and would like to hear some suggestions from the ever-knowledgable Clutchfans forum on where I would go to get the equipment and get it installed.

I have 4 5X7 speakers and want only one 8" sub. I also want a relatively user-friendly radio and a 5 channel amp.

This, along with the other parts needed to make them function to their highest capability and warranty, was quoted to me from Car Toys at $2,536. (Specfically, it was 4 Infiniti speakers, JL Audio sub, Infiniti amp, Alpine radio.)

If it matters, I mainly listen to obscure metal bands, classic rock, and blues. So I don't need a pound-you-in-the-ass bass, just a sharp, crisp bass.

Any words of wisdom and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Haymitch, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. Burko

Burko Member

I can't give you locations on where to get things from etc, but I always found that a decent amp and some 6x9's are usually enough to handle most types of music.

Stick the 6x9's on an MDF parcel shelf and you should be well away.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I was told my speakers were 5x7s for my car model. Can I just put any size speaker in there?

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I know some of you must know something about this stuff...

5. HombreDeHierro

you should get components in the front... the tweeters handle the high-range, the woofers handle the midrange...

6x9s in the back should be hooked to a crossover as well to not reproduce high range...

the vocals and such should only come from the front for good sound staging... like a stage at a concert

and a sub... infinity powered subs are nice

6. RUDYG

RUDYG Member

Traders village off of 610 by MLK