1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suggestions for dog neutering

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by airbulllard, Feb 24, 2010.

1. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

i'm looking to neuter my dog..

but my vet office charges $220 for the service.. i know there are places like the humanesociety and SNAP that charge much less, like $30 to $50.. why is this the case? is the service at these cheaper places much worse? i don't understand the price difference..

anyone here have experience with either the humane society or SNAP? i assume they do the full bloodwork (liver/kidney) right?

if you could give me a good suggestion where you got it done, and the price range, i'd appreciate it. if it's just safe and a smoother process, i guess i might pay more, but $220 seems like A LOT. thanks

2. homeboy1

homeboy1 Member

From the Snapus.org

Q. Is spay or neuter surgery expensive?

A. Spay or neuter surgery generally costs less than most major surgeries, especially if the dog or cat is young and healthy. Also, many communities have subsidized spay and neuter clinics or programs in which local veterinarians perform spaying and neutering surgery at reduced cost or for free. For information on the reduced-cost options available in your area, contact SNAP at 800.762.7762 or SPAY USA spayusa.org.

http://www.snapus.org/site/PageServer

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I had one cat spayed and one cat neutered at the Houston Humane Society. I had no problems and it was much cheaper than the vet. They have their prices on their website: houstonhumane.org

4. homeboy1

homeboy1 Member

Yeah I've also used SNAP for a couple of cats. Shots, neutering, etc. They seem fine after all these years. Maybe a little resentful towards me but I can live with the scratches. Bastards..

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

SNAP? Great name for a company that neuters.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

You might want to shop around with other vets as well. Prices can vary quite a bit for procedures. I had one of my dog's teeth cleaned a few years back and I got quotes that ranged from $150 to over $600.

7. YaosDirtyStache

Just use your mouth bro...one quick chomp and some advil will help.

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Believe it or not Petsmart sells neutering kits for really cheap.
    [​IMG]

9. updawg

updawg Member

make sure you get neuticals otherwise your dog will probably have issues later

10. Summer Song Giver

Just got my 2 year old Boxer done, he's still in the collar for another week, I am hoping it settles him down some.

I got it done at a place called Animana off I-10 at my sister's suggestion, she's had two of her four dogs done there. My vet wanted 500+ dollars for the procedure so I went with the cheaper route. They kept him over night and so far so good, no complications; I would recommend them.

11. Summer Song Giver

BTW Animana charged me $100.00, $75.00 for the operation which included antibiotics and $25.00 for the collar, which my dog seems to love wearing, he thinks he is Madmax in Beyond Thunderdome with that thing on.

12. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

NSFW Language

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/thYW2nQ1iM4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/thYW2nQ1iM4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

13. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

thanks, i will look into animana. the price seems much better than what my vet is charging. did it include all the blood test before the procedure as well?

14. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Why would you do that to your dog. Hes your friend.

15. homeboy1

homeboy1 Member

You obviously do not watch The Price is Right.

16. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

I do watch, and Drew has commited treason against his dog as well. :mad:

17. Summer Song Giver

That price did not include the bloodwork, I signed a waiver, waiving the BW at that price. I'm sure they offer the BW at an escalated price though.

18. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

we're having our boxer puppy neutered next month...he will be 6 months. he has to get his dewclaws removed again since the vet who removed his dewclaws when he was a baby messed up so the procedure is gonna be a little bit $$$. I just want the best for Bo...my vet includes after care monitoring/antibotics/bandages/collar so i guess thats why he is more expensive.

Summer, wow two years? i bet he's a hyper guy.

What's this talk about blood test?

here is a recent picture of Bo. just have to share this...too cute not to share!

[​IMG]

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Do not. DO NOT use a pets mart/pet co vet.

Those plans are Bull ****!

Don't be fooled.

20. Summer Song Giver

Hyper is an understatement, I think he may have a touch of separation anxiety too; he destroys any and everything he touches when I'm at work but pretty well behaved when I'm home.