1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suggested FA Target: Austin Reaves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes and if he's going to run the offense, the coach has to run plays that have him up top. We simply did not put him in that position it sounds like.

Thanks for this. So to correct myself: Vanderbilt is in fact an elite defender and Reaves is not. Vanderbilt spent way more time guarding Morant, and he spent less time guarding Curry than Reaves. Reaves was slightly more efficient than Vanderbilt guarding Morant. Schroeder guarded Curry best but no one is going to sign Schroeder as a defensive stopper.

The point stands : Reaves is obviously a good but not great defender who never gives up on the play.

Can I have a link to these stats to verify? Let's see how the player Reaves guarded performed. Would also like to see how Schroeder fared against Morant.

2. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I think NBA analysts will say anything to keep the Lakers relevant, and I don't think Jeannie is as generous as they hope. It's funny to me Windy said something and 3 people here repeated it verbatim.

I don't think the Lakers are happily giving up Bamba, Beasley and hoping no one offers a dime above the MLE for Hachimura after ESPN hyped his acquisition up so much.

There's also this going on:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/IMtw47fPIbs

Yes there's a chance the Lakers match the max, but it would hurt them more than anyone else. Pelinka is keenly aware that this Lebron is not THE Lebron. I think he is certainly bracing for a rebuild which in Los Angeles means targeting a summer where a lot of contracts come off the books (in 2 years I assume).

raining threes likes this.
  3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Yes, Reaves isn't elite but he's not getting lit up either.

Here's the links:

Reaves on defense in the 2023 playoffs: https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1630559/head-to-head

Vanderbilt on defense in the 2023 playoffs: https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1629020/head-to-head

Schroder on defense in the 2023 playoffs: https://www.nba.com/stats/player/203471/head-to-head

xaos likes this.
  4. aelliott

I just provided the numbers, nothing more.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  5. aelliott

He had the ball in those zones, he just didn't pass to the corner 3s from there. When he was above the break (straight away), he passed it to a teammate to his left or right (also above the break).

Here's a link to a cool page where you can see where each player makes their passes from and who they pass to.

https://nbacourtoptix.nba.com/en/metrics/passing-network

pick the Rockets for the team and Sengun for the player. You can then click on a red zone and see where he made passes from that zone.

Lots of other cool stuff on this site too. Double teams, who screens for who, long 3 point percentages and who applies the most on ball pressure. Check it out.

6. riko

riko Member

Struss
    Reaves
    Two underrated free agents

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I did all the math earlier in this thread ....
    I did the math on Johnson too ....

Because both the Lakers and Nets will be tax repeaters, matching these players contracts at ~$11.3m is likely to cost them ~$60m.

#307 Corrosion, May 21, 2023
    Last edited: May 21, 2023
    raining threes and BaselineFade like this.
  8. OremLK

OremLK Member

I really don't think the Lakers care how much they spent on the luxury tax. Their fans will kill them if they let Reaves go at this point.

jch1911 likes this.
  9. jch1911

jch1911 Member

There are certain franchises were ownership is okay with paying more because their fan base will pay a ton of $$$ (and/or they have lucrative business relationships)
    - Golden State (#10 media market + bandwagon merchandise moves well with whole generation claiming fandom. I admit I was a fan of Run TMC & then Sprewell era, but I go back to Cocaine Cowboyz on the Rox)
    - Lakers (#2 MM
    - Boston (#8 MM)
    - New York (#1MM)
    - Clippers (#2 MM / zillionaire owner)

OremLK likes this.
  10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yeah because typically when he has the ball in those zones if it's not in transition then he was doing DHO. I don't recall Sengun being at the top and just running the offense the way KPJ was doing in iso or PnR for example.

Comparing it with Jokic's chart, obviously it will look far for anyone to compare to the greatest of all time. We don't need the greatest of all time. So I compared it to Draymond's chart and can see hitting the corner 3pt shooters was the rarest pass he'd make too and the huge majority of his passes were to his left and right or a pass in traffic in the key. I can see something like that for Sengun.

When I'm saying we run offense through Sengun, I still see someone else bringing the ball up obviously and like any great big man passer there's always a capable PG on the floor with him (JMurray/SCurry/MBibby). It's just safer to do it that way.

AMAZING site btw, thanks!

11. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

lol I was just thinking this !

RasaqBoi likes this.
  12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i don't think reaves is a good fit for out roster.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The passing heat map for KPJ is pretty interesting. Kind of lines up with what I was telling you in another discussion in that this team sucked at rewarding whoever it was that was finding those spots - now if only this data could overlay the NBA tracking for wide open shots you could really sink your teeth into it. Same thing for Sengun by the way -- he's making a ton of passes only to have a handful of assists - its a good enough sample size to criticize the shooting more than the set up guys. At least its a lot more glaring to me than digging beneath that surface layer and saying that a "better" lead initiator would have created better shots. Thanks for this link and the others adding them to the pinned tabs!

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://open.substack.com/pub/marcstein/p/the-demise-of-the-celtics-all-the

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Probably not, but the more teams force them to spend, the less they have available to spend. Remember, when a player receives an offer sheet their own team has 2 days to match. That also means if teams offer Reaves as early as possible and he accepts, that. means Lakers have to match within 2 days if they want to keep them which will then in turn affect what players they can sign afterwards.

Y2JT and raining threes like this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, like I said, I don't have any problem offering him a big contract, go ahead and make the Lakers pay up. Just don't expect to actually get him

raining threes likes this.
  18. chenjy9

Supporting Member

It's a pipe dream for sure and 100% about screwing over the Lakers

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  19. aelliott

You can't compare to Draymond. He's passing to Thompson and Curry who are great from out top. Out top is efficient for those guys.

20. aelliott

That passing network page show all passes, not just assists. Look at Sengun's map. The only time he passes to the corners is when he's in the paint. That's what he needs to expand. Not just him , but he's the most restricted at only one zone.