1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Suggested FA Target: Austin Reaves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 21, 2023.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Couple of points.

- I don't think that even with a healthy Lebron the Lakers are a contender next year. They made a bunch of trade deadline moves that really helped them. The downside is that they have a bunch of important players who are now free agents. That includes Walker, Beasley, Russell, Brown, Schroeder, Reaves and Hachimura. Losing a good portion of those guys kills their chances. They also can't just pay market value for all those free agents unless they sign them to 1 year deals which I'd expect isn't too attractive to the free agents.

- If Lebron leaves they have to replace him. In two years Davis (assuming they want to retain him) and Reaves contracts would make it tough to bring in another high dollar guy. Under the new CBA, you have to plan for those things or you're stuck not being able to add anything other than minimum players to your roster.

- Here's a Mark Stein quote from yesterday:

'definitely be at least one team that presents Reaves with a contract offer that exceeds what the Lakers want to pay.'

-The Caruso situation was under the old CBA. This is a whole new world.

Laker's may end up matching it but I don't believe it's a sure thing.

2. aelliott

BTW I think that Reaves "could" play PG but I don't think that it would make sense for the Rockets. They need a real PG with good floor vision to make everyone else's life easier.

rfrocket likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Windhorst on Lakers' Austin Reaves: 'No Way They're Letting Him Walk' in Free Agency

"There's no way they're letting him walk," ESPN's Brian Windhorst said on his Hoop Collective podcast Sunday. "Because they absolutely had egg dripping from their chin on letting Alex Caruso walk. And Reaves, let's just be honest, he's their third-best player."

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com...-hachimura-dangelo-russell-contract-extension

McMenamin: “And that’s why, no matter what happens from here on out for the rest of the Lakers’ postseason run, they’ve identified these two players in particular, you have to imagine Rui Hachimura and Austin Reaves will be part of their future going forward.”

Woj: “Both restricted free agents, I don’t see any scenario where the Lakers would not match on both. They have to... They’ve proved themselves to be win-now players with LeBron and Anthony Davis on their timeline (and) these are both starting-level players... Again, they will match on those two. They just cannot let them leave.”

#283 J.R., May 21, 2023
    Last edited: May 21, 2023
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I have to totally disagree with you here dude.

1) Reaves has the 4th highest usage (Lebron, AD, Russell) and as the playoffs progress he is stealing all of it from Russell (3rd). Schroeder is not close. Reaves' asst%/to% is way better than Russell's. He is the second best floor general on a WCF team that knocked out the reigning champions and the second seed.

I think what you're saying is he's more of a SG which is subjective but the fact is he has successfully run the offense in the highest pressure situations that can exist in the NBA. His numbers are stress-tested AF. No doubt he can do it in the regular season for team happy to make the playoffs at all.

2) Reaves guarded Curry and Morant just as much, if not more than, Vanderbilt. Schroeder is flat out not a good defender and was never the primary defender on Curry for long stretches. Reaves could not be hidden on bad offensive players because you're already hiding Russell and Lebron. Curry and Morant both performed poorly and any Lakers fan will tell you Reaves was a giant chunk of that.

Reaves is a good defender even those who set a high bar due to his skin color have started seeing it. Whoever he defends is shooting below average. He is not an elite defender or anything, maybe that's what you mean.

3) For Jalen and Reaves they can interchangeably size up with 1's and 2's. Green will finally be NBA-sized next season so I'm sure he'll be guarding the 2 more than he has in the past.

4) You're ignoring that we are going to run offense through Sengun (see Udoka Q&A) which means almost the same as the Lakers, Reaves would just have to be a steady hand at PG. Again, without a doubt he can run the PnR, hit the roller, hit the lob, hit the corner 3pt shooter, make passes in traffic, keep his turnovers low. That he didn't bring the ball up is meaningless and done to appease the diminishing Russell/Schroeder, it's like saying you can do backflips on a bike but can't ride a bike.

You're describing him like he's tunnel-visioned Eric Gordon when he's clearly more Manu Ginobili. You don't think Manu can run an offense if the C is the primary playmaker? I don't believe that at all.

In the same way that Steph Curry is a good floor general, so is Reaves. Can get the job done even in critical situations as much as needed. He's not going to be 10 assists, but he's an easy 7 assists to 2.5 TO's. That's plenty for a team that's about to build the offense around Green and Sengun.

Believe It! likes this.
  5. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Disagree. The Lakers can pretty easily keep Hachimura, Reaves, and Schroder. Rui isn't getting more than an MLE-level offer, neither is Schroder, and Reaves' cap hit can't be more than the MLE next year either. That's $35M + $100M for LeBron, AD, Vanderbilt, Reaves, Schroder, Rui. Which leaves them ~$45M to play with under the second apron, which I assume is their limit. If they want to keep Walker and Russell with that (I wouldn't), they could and that's everybody who played competitive minutes for them in the playoffs.

You don't think with healthy LeBron they are even a contender? With at least the same team top 6, maybe more? I hate the Lakers, but come on. IMO with healthy LeBron they'd be up 2-1 in the Western Conference Finals right now after convincingly beating both the #2 seed and the Steph/Klay/Dray Warriors, without homecourt. They're in the final 4 with LeBron playing like he aged from 38 to 45 in the last couple months. If that's just the foot injury, they're probably 3rd favorite for the title next year.

Re: the new CBA, there are mixed incentives - yes, teams will be afraid of the second apron. But expensive teams will also be incentivized to re-sign players like Reaves to maintain the salary slot and trade in the future, since as a tax team they will have fewer opportunities to do any transactions other than trading out players for players paid less (exceptions, trade contract matching where they take on more money, buyouts will be impossible). Reaves is exactly the kind of guy they'd want to re-sign to give themselves any flexibility going forward.

#285 carl_herrera, May 21, 2023
  6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Lakers are going to match the max to run bank a team that got owned in the WCF and both Lebron/AD a year older?

Challenge accepted. Let's get Reaves or get the Lakers locked into non-contention. Both good outcomes for us.

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

Utah going to throw everything they have into the next Horny and pair him with Gradey Dick
    It's definitely a good comp aside from just the goofy hair and being white. Horny was Sam Cassells favorite player.

Lakers don't typically let their token white boys go, though. Losing Caruso was hard on their fans, so Reeves makes up for it and they'll catch extra hell for letting him go too. Rambis, Mad Dog and Slava, Sasha. They love their token white players. Not letting Reeves go.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I was against this at first, but I am 100% on board, this guy is special.

DD

9. aelliott

Nope. I don't think they are a contender next season. Things just broke right for them this playoff run. I also think they will lose many of their free agents.

It's not next years cap they have to worry about. It's year 3 of Reeve's deal. They will have to resign AD for huge money or they are going to be in the market for a new super star that season. Either way Reaves contract along with ADs will make it difficult to fill out their roster. Reaves is promising but if I can only afford 2 max guys then I'm not sure hrs a guy that I pay the max to.

jch1911 likes this.
  10. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Ok agree to disagree then on the Lakers chances. I think your view that these Lakers with a healthy LeBron aren’t contenders is pretty far out of the consensus, but it’s your opinion.

The cap stuff / new CBA I think you’re just mistaken on the implications. In Reaves’s year 3 the tax line will be roughly ~$195M, the second apron $212M. He’ll be making $36M. They will not be hamstrung by that contract and stopped from getting another star if LeBron is retired.

11. aelliott

Here's the official numbers for the 2023 playoffs from the NBA site:

Guarding Ja
    --------------

Matchup Minutes: Reaves: 6:10 Vanderbilt: 22:35

Partial Possessions: Reaves: 37.1 Vanderbilt: 119.5 ( so Vanderbilt guarded Ja much more in both possessions and time)

Points: Reaves: 19 pts 7/13 53.8% FG% 2/2 100% 3PT% Vanderbilt: 31 pts 12/25 48% FG% 4/10 40% 3PT% ( Pretty close but Morant was less efficient when guarded by Reaves)

Assists: Reaves: 6 Vanderbilt: 4

FT: Reaves: 3/4 75% Vanderbilt: 3/3 100% ( pretty even)

Guarding Curry ( I'm including Schroder too)
    ---------------------------------------------

Matchup Minutes: Reaves: 16:09 Vanderbilt: 13:27 Schroder: 26.55 ( Schroder spent the most time by far guarding Curry).

Partial Possessions: Reaves: 92.2 Vanderbilt: 72.3 Schroder: 141.2 ( Schroder guarded Curry for the most possessions).

Vanderbilt: 12 pts, 5/12 41.7% FG% 2/5 40% 3pt%
    Schroeder: 35 pts, 15/37 40.5% FG% 3/18 16.7% 3pt% ( It could have been just Curry missing shots but Schroder was the most effective guarding Curry)

Assists: Reaves: 8 Vanderbilt: 6 Schroder: 10

FT: Reaves: 3/3 100% Vanderbilt: 0/0 Schroder: 2/2

Overall, Reaves did fine.

#291 aelliott, May 21, 2023
    Deckard and harold bingo like this.
  12. aelliott

The QA I read with Udoka, he said that he planned to take advantage of Sengun's passing but he didn't say that the entire offense would run through him.

Sengun turned the ball over a bunch but assuming that he cleans that up, the biggest issue will be that almost all of his assists come from him in the post. I'm assuming that we'll continue to utilize that but when he's in the post it kills the spacing and there's less driving lanes. If you're going to run the offense primarily through Sengun, then he's got to fix the turnovers and he's going to have to start getting assists from someplace other than in the paint.

Of course, if Harden truly is coming back to the Rockets, then Sengun won't be running the offense. Personally, I hope he doesn't because I don't want his contract on the books for the next 4 years.

#292 aelliott, May 21, 2023
    Corrosion likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Are there any players who shoot, pass and defend well who's game doesn't translate to some other team?

Is there a player who's been getting to the FT line since high school who suddenly forgets how to do it?

Mid-season BEFORE breaking out in the playoffs:

Austin Reaves is about to be 1 of 4 players ever to have 3 straight games of TS 65%, 20+ points, 5+ assists in a Conference Finals. The others are Steph Curry, Lebron James and Michael Jordan. No role players ever did that.

He can't do it at 55-60% for the Rockets in the regular season? Gimme a break. Those that think this is a hype train just didn't see it themselves before the hype train.

#293 Mathloom, May 21, 2023
    Corrosion likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

It's in the hints. He clearly sees Sengun as a significant part of the rotation and likens him to Jokic. He knows that Sengun can't protect the rim and is willing to give him a shot at being a switching defender rather than a drop back. Why allow a slow footed switch defender on the floor? The only reason this would be true is because his offensive value is HIGH. He knows that like a James Harden, these types of players you maximize their offensive opportunities rather than trying to make them into something they're not.

As for his TO's, it's important to note that turnovers are affected by attempted assists AND fouls drawn. All players who are both passers and have a good FTR have high TO's. Sengun's were high in the big picture of the NBA but the context is that it was the first time he was doing it and the team did not know how to operate/move around him. Definitely has to have a better asst/to ratio but that seems inevitable in year 3 and with vets + structured offense around him. I see last season's results through the lens of a player trying to wing it and that will neither work nor will it be how we'll play.

As for spacing I don't see an issue there. Can create out of high post and if he adds one more tiny increment to his 3pt shooting, you don't always have to have him in the high/low post to benefit us. He hit 33% of 0.8 attempts from 3 last season. That's another area he must improve.

If I'm Sengun this summer I'm getting skinny/light and working on my 3pt shot. His elite IQ will take care of the gap (again something Udoka recognized).

I don't disagree with you that there are risks and areas of improvement.

cmoak1982 and jch1911 like this.
  15. aelliott

As I said if Sengun is going to run the offense then he's going to have be able to get assists from out top too. Right now the vast majority of his assists come from the paint. Almost 100% of the corner 3 passes he made were from the post. That would have to change.

It's also dependent on who's the PG. If it's Harden then the offense would primarily run through him.

16. jch1911

jch1911 Member

[​IMG]

Mathloom likes this.
  17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

So you’re really comparing Reaves’s 37.9 possessions to Vanderbilt’s 119? It proves my point. They needed to slow Ja down so the turned to Vanderbilt. If Vando had better offense ( a serious shortcoming) he would even more Floor time vs Ja. You can bet he’s going to see more time on Murray now that he’s going nuts. I like Austin but he can’t slow down the elite guards in this league.

#297 TEXNIFICENT, May 21, 2023
  18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You’re really comparing him to Curry?

Wow.
    We’ll agree to disagree about Austin’s defense and it don’t have anything to do with your weird & weak skin color argument either. Dude is just a passable defender. Vanderbilt impacted that Memphis series with his defense on Ja as much as Reaves did offensively. It’s a team game that helped the Lakers win.

19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I think the Lakers will match anything on Reaves. After the trade deadline moves, the expectation was that DLo would help initiate offense and make those timely buckets. Reaves has been far more important.

With Lebron and AD on the books they don't have many choices, they're not gonna have enough cap space to sign some superstar in free agency and maintain any semblance of a team.

20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Not at all. Re-read the sentence. Won't even entertain that criticism.