1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suggested FA Target: Austin Reaves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 21, 2023.

1. saleem

saleem Member

I don't see anything negative for our group. It will be a hard adjustment for him though vs playing for Bron and Davis. I think the Rockets should try to obtain him in free agency.

2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Way off base. I think he's talented, I just don't believe he's a star player like this team needs. He's a role player, in the perfect situation for that team.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I didn't know Reaves max is 4 years 98 million, honestly not that bad given his upside. Due to the arenas rule, for the Lakers, it would be structured at (roughly) 11 / 12 / 37 / 38 million per season, and for the offering team in FA it would be a flat 24.5 mill per season

Pretty easy contract for the Rockets to offer, and for the Lakers to match.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  4. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Lakers will match for any reasonable salary. The question is do you want to overpay?

5. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

So it'd be bad to have a guy who can run it, shoot it, work it on both ends and has proven it on the biggest stage, while clutch all the way???

Sounds like a really bad fit.

CantStopJG24 likes this.
  6. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

If you want to keep pretending like that's what I said, go for it.

7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If we don't grab harden, he's someone I would overpay and b made the new starting pg for our team. If we gonna reject the best playmaker might as well do something bold and hope Reaves can become our new pg.

I honestly think reaves is an improvement over kpj at pg that speaks to how sht I think kpj is at that position.

Y2JT likes this.
  8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I would be fine overpaying for Reaves if we don't get Harden. He would instantly be the best player on our team and have more experience in winning than all our players combined.

CantStopJG24 likes this.
  9. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Man. I was just stating what I thought he'd bring and asking if that would be bad. Regardless whether we brought in a "star" or not.

10. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

It's really not a knock on the guy... it's absolutely fair to question who he is without Lebron and AD on the floor.

Believe It! likes this.
  11. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

I mean he showed who he was without Bron on the floor after all star break in 15 games. 17/4/6 on 55/38/83 while getting guarded by the best perimeter defender all of March when games were at its highest stakes with how tight the playoff race was. I feel like the knock on Austin is that he's undrafted. If he was a top 10 player a couple years ago instead of going undrafted, the narrative about whether we would want him or not would be unanimously yes which is funny cause in a redraft he's going top 5-10 pretty easily.

12. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

No doubt.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I did the numbers on the Lakers earlier in this thread - That contract would be very difficult for them to match.
    Here's the post with the #'s
    Suggested FA Target: Austin Reaves | Page 11 | ClutchFans

Because they'd have to use the NT-MLE to match, they'd be hard capped and that's what makes life miserable for them.

Y2JT, raining threes and Mathloom like this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I will add to this: the Lakers were a .500 team most of this season whoever the names are on the roster. They played with Russell Westbrook delivering the ball for over half the season. Reaves thrived more this season than in the seasons where AD/Lebron were better at punishing defenses in the regular season. There's clear data.

I think @Derp McFlopsky has a true concern but I'm wondering about how much importance to give this concern. Combined with all the good things Reaves does, it sounds like the size of risk that exists in literally ANY deal whether you're acquiring Reaves or Kevin Durant or James Harden or FVV or whatever.

For me it would be odd to avoid signing good players for our team because I'm afraid I can't get him open enough shots as a 3rd/4th offensive option. If we can't get Reaves open shots off kick outs off our main scorers whoever they are, that's a coaching problem.

CantStopJG24 and raining threes like this.
  15. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Kind of a side note but it's hilarious to me that people are falling over a guy that took a couple extra years to develop but absolutely slaughter 19, 20 and 21 year olds. Especially one that's supposedly going top 10 in a redraft.

That's pretty decent efficiency but not other worldly production. Obviously you'd be hoping for a little more and over the full season too. I'm really not dogging the guy, I think he's talented. I just think he's in the perfect role for him currently and coming here is an obviously, vastly different situation.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think dude you may be expecting too much is the only issue here. You'd be looking for a little more than 17/4/6 on 55/38/83 and good defense for a $20m player in the new CBA?

It sounds like you're expecting other worldly production from someone who will be making a few million more than the NT-MLE. Who's getting a 17ppg and 6 assists efficient two way player at that price? A guy who's getting 4th quarter playmaking duties with Lebron/Ad/Russell/Schroeder on the squad and have swept aside the Grizzlies and Warriors while he guarded their best players? I don't know if you're being realistic.

Also we don't have to not sign a star just because we sign Reaves. We'd still have around $40m and can create more cap space several ways. If we have a chance at two stars of course you prioritize that over anyone else, but I'm operating under the realistic scenario where we are getting 1 or 0 stars this summer.

Dankstronaut and CantStopJG24 like this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Are you sure they can't match that offer with his early bird rights? I think they can

I ran through the numbers and I don't really see a problem for them with matching Reaves, hard-capped or not, even with re-signing Russell and Hachimura at something like 25 + 15 million starting salaries, even with bringing back Walker at his 7.7 million w/early bird, drafting at #17, using the full BAE, and filling out the rest of the roster with vet mins. They'd still be under the 170 mill hard cap.

18. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Maybe I am. I feel like everyone is riding the hype though, maybe he's the real deal idk why exactly it just doesn't seem like he is to me. $20 million is still a ton of money and well above the average NBA contract. For sure he wouldn't make the Rockets a worse team. Just a gut feeling I suppose, something about you find the Chandler Parsons you don't pay the Chandler Parsons.

Mathloom likes this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

If it is front loaded or even spread out at 24.5M it will be hard for the Lakers to match. They also have Russel to re-sign. Not sure which if either they will choose to pay.

20. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

They would probably want to work out a S&T if that's even a possibility. Lakers need more picks, expiring contracts, etc.