1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suggested FA Target: Austin Reaves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The maximum Lakers can extend him for is 4 years and $50m. Otherwise they can match an offer sheet in the summer but I don't think they can really afford to pay him a lot and Jeanie has been tight with the purse lately. I know that if we jump in with $80m/4yrs he's out of there. Not a bad price range.

I like his fit because he's a well-rounded, unselfish, tough player. You can almost say he's a two-way player. His defense is just average to maybe above average right now so you're not adding a Malik Beasley or a Jeremy Lin who bleeds points on one side of the court.

On offense he's just excellent for us. Tall, can really pass the ball, shoots well from 3, gets to the line a very good amount. Can't leave him open off ball he's 38% from 3 and great at attacking closeouts. Has been running some offense recently with great results. Probably an excellent secondary playmaker maybe with potential for more (like a poor man's Haliburton almost). I feel like he would mix so well with our scorers Green, KPJ, Jabari, Sengun. Sengun and Reaves may work well together if Reaves starts over KPJ. The KPJ we saw this season can not beat post ASB Reaves out of a starter's spot. I don't know if Reaves' play is sustainable though.

Harden is the expensive option if that's happening, FVV is a little more than half that price and Austin Reaves is half that price. Let's say if we strike out on Harden. FVV is inefficient on offense (and apparently shoots more than he should), might be injury prone, is asking for a lot of money. I like his championship experience, defense and passable 3pt shot but is that worth close to $30m per season? Debatable.

Maybe Reaves is a solid investment and if he gets some playoff experience this season, I would welcome that young but experienced addition to the squad. I really think he'd be a good signing. A good playoff showing can cement his potential.

Would love to hear other views. Is his recent surge a fluke or is it legit?

#1 Mathloom, Mar 21, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    Y2JT likes this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

He has plenty of college experience, has been playing with HoFers. High ts%. Might get playoff experience. Could b an above average role player or something more.

He's someone that will make Tate and Kevin Martin Jr expendable. He will no doubtly strengthen our bench, u could even argue that he could take kpj spot.

I just don't think he's what we need in a play maker though. He could b a scoring first pg, but could he upped his points and maintain that efficiency? Quite risky, especially since we don't have hof talent to draw the attention to make his life easier.

If we are running it back with head honcho as pg, I wouldn't mind going for reaves over kevin Martin Jr. Apparently he wants 4yr/50mil. I can see him being a 13-15 mil/yr, could even pay him more if u want to poach him from the Lakers.

#2 DatRocketFan, Mar 21, 2023
    amaru likes this.
  3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Cap experts: Would it be possible to sign Harden AND a guy like Reaves to a contract averaging, say, 18 mil? That would be great. Like, say we landed Brandon Miller.

Harden / Green / Miller / Smith / Sengun
    KPJ / Reaves / KMJ or Tate / Eason / Garuba

Not to mention our Clippers' pick and guys like Christopher, TyTy, etc.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If I’m not mistaken, he chose to go undrafted so that he could sign with the lakers. Not sure he would leave them.

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If the price is right, he would leave.

According to the him he chose the Lakers as an undrafted over the pistons. Risky but he had a discussion with the Lakers prior so it's really a no brainer.

I just can't see the Lakers giving him that much money especially with kyrie irving about to hit free agency

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

As soon as Austin takes that Lakers jersey off he’s gonna be Chase Budinger.

7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U came to this prediction how?

I think reaves is gonna fetch a potential 15+mil/yr contract. Right now seems like a very good role player who has potential to b even more

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He’s getting the Lakers whistle and it’s blatantly obvious.

9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

The white Jeremy Lin

10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Meh. He's played well. I'd be fine with a contract around 15 - 20 mil. It's not like history has shown that Lebron's Laker's sidekicks falloff.

Caruso is still very effective. Kuzma's in line for a big payday. Brandon Ingram is a potential franchise player. Josh Hart is a great role player. Ball was awesome until his injury. Etc.

gah and Mathloom like this.
  11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

thinly veiled "Garuba sucks" thread

fryjol7 likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

His best game:

Y2JT likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

See I worry about this too. Defense is a constant though and if it's true he's an above average defender then the chances of him not being an NBA player are slim to none. Great shooter, decent defense, can pass and drive a little. He's like 5+ assists a game after the ASB if I'm not mistaken and there's good reason to be hopeful about his future as a passer. 3.8 FTA in 27 minutes is pretty good too. That's a legit NBA player.

Have you watched him play?

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Damn that would make it tough. Maybe we'd have to offer him $80m/4 years with a team option final season. That might pry him away.

I wonder if a cap expert can estimate for us what number would really hurt the Lakers in terms of luxury tax. They have to re-sign Russell and a couple of other guys as well.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It's probably too much to say this but
    Reaves seems like a better version of kpj to me.

Still doesn't address the pg position though.

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

$20 mill/ per for Reaves? Pass for me. You need to get a game changer for that kind of dough. He’s a nice player but that’s steep. Geez.

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I see him at 13-15 mil, maybe 18 mil. If we are willing to pay kpj that much and this guy seems like a better player than head honcho (to me) it's pretty reasonable. But l still think we need to address the pg position regardless.

Mathloom likes this.
  18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

He seems to me exactly like KPJ but with effort 100% of the time on the court and more willing to share the ball.

If KPJ gave effort 100% of the time on the court and made his primary responsibility getting good shots for Sengun/Green/Jabari, he would be a much better player than Reaves but I don't know if he wants to be that.

I feel like Reaves would REALLY want to be that. The max I'm willing to bet on him is $20m right now on the condition he continues to play well the rest of the season. He could push his value up to $25m with a commendable playoff performance and new CBA coming.

You don't think we can run with Reaves, Tyty and KPJ next season? Maybe add a vet minimum PG like Dellavedova who can give you 10-15 minutes and mentor the group. Of course if we land Henderson it's a different story, but I would still poach Reaves from Lakers.

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

20-25 mil is a lot for an undrafted player who benefits a lot from playing alongside HoFers/Lakers franchise.

That's Tyler herro money and he earned that winning the sixth man of the year

Too many variables to account for running tyty reaves and kpj pg rotation. Do we get a new coach? is kpj/reaves taking it to the next level? Is tyty an actual nba player, he barely gets to play. Who is the starting pg?

I can't see us making play in with what looks like 2 sixth man role playing as pg and a 2nd year pg without much experience.

Harden has variables also and is more expensive, but he gives us the best chance of play in.

I'm intrigued with signing reaves though, a solid signing to strengthen our bench, who has potential to b even more

#19 DatRocketFan, Mar 21, 2023
    Mathloom likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Whenever evaluating a player on another team, make sure to subtract about 4-8 percentage points on their ts% to get an accurate estimate of what their efficiency will be on this team.

roslolian and javal_lon like this.