1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stupidest baseball quote award

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Behad, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

This came from the Sunday Chronical, in regards to Daryle Ward's home run that landed in the river on the fly:

The person who dived into the river and retrieved Ward's home run ball wanted cash for it. Ward offered signed memorabilia but no money.

"Maybe they haven't seen my salary in the paper," said Ward, who earns a little under $400,000. "I've got children to feed."

Damn, life must be really f***ing tough to just get by on $400,000 a year.
    :mad: :rolleyes:

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

A player paying a fan would be going against everything baseball stands for nowadays.

greed

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Still, Finn...you have to admit that it was a pretty stupid quote. If he was trying to convey what you said, he did it in a very moronic way.

4. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I have seen Daryle Ward interviewed after Astros games several times. Lets just say he doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the shed.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Seems that he is just being sarcastic. I dont see much wrong with that.

6. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I'm pretty sure he wasn't being sarcastic. He made a quote that sounds very stupid to normal people since he makes much more than the average citizen but among baseball players he is heavily underpaid.

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Depends on how much the fan was asking for the ball.

$399,000? Yes I feel for Daryle.

$500? Umm...okay.

Keep in mind Daryle also has to feed himself.

8. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Cute.

My point is not whether to pay the fan for the ball, it's saying publicly you have to be money conscience because you make only $400,000 a year. (Factor into this that $400,000 is his current salary. His earning potential is much greater.)

9. Smokey

I agree with you Behad. I was making fun of Daryle who refused to pay the fan. I don't feel sorry for him at all.

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Why should he pay the fan? People who demand money for those things piss me off. If I had cought Barry's record breaking home run, I'd only ask for signed memoribilia, and season tickets, but not cash, that seems wrong to me when your talking about history. What's the deal with Ward's ball anyway? Was it the first one to leave PNC and make it into the river?

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

HELL YEA .. I MEAN DEMANDING MONEY FOR PLAYING A GAME YOU LOVE. . .

oops. . .i think i missed something
    :rolleyes:

Besides. . the fan can get top dollars on Ebay.
    The player won't pay. . .he better call pay pals then

Rocket River

12. Smokey

Big big difference between Barry Bonds and Daryle Ward.

Bonds memorabilia = $$$$

Ward's memorabilia = $0

Should he have paid for the ball? Maybe, maybe no. Can he afford to pay? Yes.

13. Major

Major Member

From the Chronicle:

Daryle Ward, whose grand slam Saturday night was the first home run to sail over PNC Park and land in the Allegheny River on the fly, received a call at the Astros' hotel from the man who retrieved the ball.

Although the homer was historic in terms of PNC Park, which opened in 2001, the Pirates, the Astros and Ward refused to pay the man for the ball. When offered signed memorabilia by the Pirates and Ward, the man steadfastly requested cash.

He refused to take no for an answer, waiting by the Astros' team buses outside PNC Park in hopes of reaching Ward. Failing to notice the hypocrisy, the fan wanted Ward to autograph the ball and give it back to him if he didn't want to buy it. The fan essentially was told to take another dive in the river.

"I'm done with it now," Ward said. "It's the first river ball, but it's not the 74th, a (single-season) home run record. I'll always remember it. It might be a trivia question someday, but no record."

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think the paper misses a bit of hypocracy on the part of Mr Ward
    etc. I won't pay you for the memories. . .but expect the memories
    of baseball to bring people back if they strike again??

Rocket River
    EBAY BAY BEE!!!

15. Astro101

Astro101 Member

The fans will come back if there is a strike. some will leave, but I feel more will tay.

16. Major

Major Member

The fans will come back if there is a strike. some will leave, but I feel more will tay.

I agree. Fans are fickle. If there is competitive balance, and fans feel like their team will be able compete, they'll come back. Maybe slowly, but they'll be back.

Everyone points to the fact that attendance never recovered from 1995, but I'd say that's more influenced by the fact that more than half the teams are eliminated pre-season. Those team's fans have just quit. (See Montreal, Florida, Tampa Bay, etc) The teams that win still have plenty of fans and attendence. Just look at Houston in 1998 after the Randy-Johnson trade.

17. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Like Jim Rome said, what are guys gonna do on a June Suday evening? Talk to their wives? They're gonna tune to ESPN baseball.

18. Smokey

Damn you Chronicle. How much was the man asking?

It's hillarious he wanted Ward to sign the ball. If I was Ward I'd take the ball then say "what ball?" when he asked for it back.

19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

He should have signed Derek Bells name on it, then hanned it back. Speaking of dumb quotes, Mr. Bell had a pretty good one earlier this year..