1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stupid movie cliches.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 4, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Steve_Francis_rules

Knocked up?

2. Landlord Landry

anyone ever notice that the streets are always wet in the movies, even though it didnt rain.

3. Steve_Francis_rules

I think you're talking about a different kind of movie than the rest of us. :grin:

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

But then...every hard luck person that overcomes adversity and obstacles such as that, and wins the admiration of the elite, they receive the congratulatory "Slow Clap"...in recognition of their efforts.

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

[​IMG]

6. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Have you seen I Hate Luv Storys? The irony of a cliché-ridden movie making fun of Bollywood romance clichés, thinking it is somehow superior to said clichés.

Anyway Bollywood has its own stockyard full of clichés but the ones I hate the most are:

1) 45 year old male actor + 30 year female lead = college romance. WTF? I think there is a limit to how many times you can fail college. Example: 3 Idiots and Kuch Kuch Hota Hai

2) Reincarnation - It's a fascinating subject but often done so poorly that it makes you laugh at the writer and director's ineptitude. Said character is reborn and somehow retains a complete memory of the previous life. What is this a rebirth or f#kcing amnesia? Example: Karz and Karzzz, Om Shanti Om, Karan Arjun etc...

3) All "bhai/underworld" movie are based on Muslim gangsters. Basically Muslims are the Italians mobsters of India. Conveniently there to reinforce the criminal stereotypes against a minority. Example:

Company - Don Aslam Bhai (Madan Joshi) and his successor Malik Bhai (Ajay Devgan)
    Maqbool - Jahangir Khan "Abbaji" (Pankaj Kapoor) and his successor Maqbool (Irfan Khan)
    Black Friday - Mushtaq "Tiger" Memon and his boss Dawood Ibrahim (Vijay Maurya)
    Even the newly released Once Upon a Time in Mumbai follows this stereotype with Sultan Mirza (Ajay Devgan) and his successor Shoaib Khan (Emraan Hashmi)

7. SuraGotMadHops

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hs_wAZS9fEI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hs_wAZS9fEI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

8. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Fat, white, dorky, pothead ends up with a hot successful girl.

white boy almighty cliches:

white guy gets thrown in (insert asian country) is ridiculed and beat up but manages to learn martial arts in the span of one year and beat all the toughests asians and take home the hottest girl.

this can be applicable to other things such as racing. (see Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift) mustang beats a skyline in a mountain race.

9. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

10. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

happily ever after

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The sex in movies is always way too hot, way too perfect, and they never show the aftermath. She just rolls over as soon as its over, with the sheets perfectly covering her breasts... I mean either there is a rubber that needs to be disposed of, or she's got some sauce in the gravy dish. Which one is it?

12. Steve_Francis_rules

I wasn't saying that movie had no cliches. I was saying that it was one of the few movies where the unprotected sex actually had repercussions.

13. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

yeah, i was adding to that. it was by no means a slight to your post.

14. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

There's a new form of the clap? Sounds painful.

15. Isabel

Isabel Member

And there's never any awkwardness about finding positions that work, etc., unless it's one of those rare "realistic first teenage experience" movies.

What is it with couples getting together in front of people, also, interrupting some public event, declaring their feelings for each other, then kissing while everyone claps?

And don't get me started on interrupted weddings. Realistically, after everyone has spent that much effort on getting there and getting the wedding set up, the commitment would already essentially be made. In real life, you're going through with it, at least for the ceremony. If you feel like it's a mistake, don't consummate it and/or get an annulment, but everyone probably won't hear about it for a while.

16. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

All time classic: White girl tripping over nothing while running away from killer/monster/etc.

17. SunsRocketsfan

there is that movie called She's All That where the the guy is the cool jock and she's a supposed nerd.. but of course that movie is just one BIG CLICHE after another heh

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yeah unconventional women NEVER get the quality guy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And we know Betty isnt really "Ugly". Its like insulting to our society's moral integrity to not see the true "beautiful person" she is. Steve Urkel NEVER got anything, and we were all fine with that. He had to turn into "Stephon" to get results. Screech, forget it. Hopeless from the start.

I think she's saying OLDER women never get the juicy lead roles that get all the perks with it, such as older woman getting much younger quality guy without having to offer an explanation for it. I can agree with that. Hollywood historically is lacking in that regard. I just don't think there's a closed-minded misogyny making it happen like a "Men Rule The World" comment would indicate :eek: