1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stuff to Do with Cap Room if You Can't Land a Superstar

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Broford

Broford Member

Wait for Memphis to start tanking, and poach Rudy Gay or Marc Gasol at the deadline.

2. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

No need to spend the money until something is worth it. That sounds fine Herrera. Fine idea.

3. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

take on ben gordons contract in exchange to flip flop picks with the rockets this year.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

Doesnt sound half bad. Rockets already know how it is with a no rebounding, no assisting, no defense one dimensional shooting guard.

5. Commodore

Commodore Member

have an entire roster full of Dalembert type contracts with only 1 year guaranteed :grin::grin:

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

we need to shake up our team...

1) I would trade Martin and Scola for draft picks and expiring contracts
    2) I would sign Dragic for $4.5 mil per
    3) I would offer Eric Gordon (RFA) $10 mil per
    4) I would offer Batum (RFA) $7 mil per
    5) I would offer McGee (RFA) $9 mil per

6) optional - look into signing Hawes or Ilyasova to add size, defense, and depth to the PF position

Lowry/Dragic
    Gordon/Lee/Dragic
    Batum/Parsons/Bud/Morris
    Hawes?/Patterson/Morris
    McGee/Dalembert
    BPA franchise draft pick

assuming we will have the Knicks' pick, plus additional picks from trading Martin/Scola. We package our picks, move into top 5, and draft BPA (hopefully Robinson).

7. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

Wilson Chandler anyone?

8. cod

cod Member

The why can't he be a Wesley Matthews instead :p

9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You hold on to it,

1. It reduce Les's bottom line

2. Praise Morey for trades that he "almost" made or the free agents he "almost" signed.

3. Attack anyone who questions the outcome.

4. Tell everyone that Morey is a genius & no GM ever created could have done better.

5. Talk about assets, and flexibility for the future.

6. Post that N.Y. pic of Morey as if you're the first to do so.

:grin:

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Locking up that roster for years to come on big contracts would guarantee a few more wins then they have now, but thats still not a contending roster.

Signing Batum/Gordon/McGee would be going against what Morey has been trying to do since they started rebuilding. I dont put it past him to make a run at Batum, but McGee despite his athleticism isnt getting any better after 3 years in the league, and doesn't have it between the ears. He's not an elite Center. Never will be.

Gordon is a nice player, but he was the best player on a bad Clippers team that went nowhere the past two years. He can score alot, but he's just not an elite player you can build your team around. Add that to his injury history and I just dont see him being anything more than a fringe all-star (Kevin Martin type) of Shooting Guard. You already have the healthier version anyways(crazy that he is actually the healthier version), I just dont see the point in getting Gordon unless Martin is moved for another All-star player.

I like your thoughts here, and this is a good/super deep team, but it just doesn't seem like Morey would lock up this roster for the next five years without a superstar to build around.

11. Rivers

Rivers Member

D-Mo: "Here I come"

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Here's a random thought, and feel free to bash and burn this one.

Operation Detroit Pistons Draft Pick-

-I see these two teams being able to help each other. The Rockets want to aquire a top draft pick. The Pistons need to clean house and go young. They destroyed their cap space with the Charlie V./ Ben Gordon signings, and the Rockets have the cap space to absorb a bad contract or two.

Kevin Martin/Thabeet/Budinger/2nd Round Pick

for

Ben Gordon/ Charlie V. /2012 1st round pick(lottery unprotected.)

-For the Pistons, they save 1 Million, but they rid themselves of two of the worst signings of all time. In return, they get a fringe all-star in Martin to sell to their fanbase, and a chance to start truely rebuilding.

-For the Rockets, its much more complex, but your really going boldly where no GM has gone before in aquiring a top 5 pick without losing a dramatic amount of games. This pick should be gold and represent a future star in a draft that has high quality top level talent.

Plus, If they are potentially able to make this trade before the deadline there is a chance that this top pick could be the thing that nets you a superstar on a draft day trade. If this team really wants to rebuild on the fly, the Pistons #1 pick could be their Golden Ticket.

The Roster looks something like this, post March 15th

Lowry, Dragic*, Flynn*
    Lee#, Gordon, TWill*
    Parsons, Morris,
    Scola, Patterson, Charlie V.
    Dalembert, Smith, Hill*

#-Restricted(high intent on resigning)
    *- Expiring

+unprotected 1st (Detroit) , protected 1st rounder (Knicks), 2nd round pick(Wolves), potential 1st round pick(own with lottery protection)

+rights to Donatas Montiejunas, Sergio Llull

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

^should be in random trade ideas, but it does tie into the Cap Space convo, and how it could be utilized alternatively to gain a franchise changing player.

14. Pete the Cheat

I think you have brought up an interesting scenario. I think they would still ask for a 1st back in return even if we did eat the salaries.

but considering the restrictions we have on both of our 1st's I don't know how appealing even a package of both would be to them...

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

I guess i would say that, I'm hoping we can package enough picks and assets to get a franchise player in this draft ...and considering the depth, it should be possible. So that's 1 player to build around.

2nd, I think Gordon still has tremendous upside. He has a more well-rounded game than Martin (he is an excellent scorer and defender), and he's only 24. He's on the all-star cusp, so he's another guy to build around.

3rd, Lowry is a championship calliber PG, and on the all-star cusp; worth keeping an building around.

4th, I'm assuming that if we can free up some more cap space by getting rid of scola and martin, that we'll either be able to sign another impact player, or aquire one by taking back extra salary. This may provide us with our 3rd scoring option, and allow Lowry to concentrate on running the floor and taking care of the ball.

Because of the age and potential of the players mentioned in the previous email, it's likley that the roster would get better every year, and could very well develop into a championship team.

btw: i agree with you on McGee about him being a knucklehead, but as someone who lives in DC and watches the wiz, I can tell you that he has improved, but would likely do better with good coaching and an organization that knows what the hell it's doing. Way too early to say that he's never gonna take the next step (he's only 24).

But point taken, and trading for the right players would be preferable to trying to outbid other teams in the free agent market. It's just that we really need to shake up this team, and getting better through trade requires two willing parties (something not in our control).