1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

students get sent home for wearing American Flag on Cinco De Mayo

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SunsRocketsfan, May 6, 2010.

1. SunsRocketsfan

Every time I read crap like this it makes me mad. What is so bad about showing pride and love for your country now? It's not like they wore a t-shirt that said anything derogatory about Mexicans. The other Mexican students are stupid for being offended. HELLO YOU LIVE IN AMERICA. Have some AMERICAN pride!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ng_american_flag_shirts_on_cinco_de_mayo.html

California kids blasted for wearing American flag shirts on Cinco de Mayo

BY LINDSAY GOLDWERT
    DAILY NEWS WRITER

Thursday, May 6th 2010, 10:28 AM

Mayer/WireImage
    RELATED NEWS
    ARTICLES
    Bam: Let's 'begin work' on new immigration laws
    Dolores Prida: El diablo wears Prada
    NYC's tastiest taco trucks - now that's worth lining up for
    'Los Suns' to back Arizona's Latinos
    Take inspiration from traditional Latin fare for your Cinco de Mayo munchies
    A handful of California students got an unexpected lesson at their high school this week: Don't wear your stars and stripes on Cinco de Mayo.

Five Morgan Hill, California students were asked to take off their American flag bandannas and turn their T-shirts inside out after students complained, according to NBC news in San Francisco.

Many members of Live Oak High School's large Mexican-American student population that felt it was offensive for the students to wear the American flag on a day that's supposed to celebrate Mexican heritage.

When the boys refused to take off their flag t-shirts and bandannas, they were ordered to go to the principal's office.

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Live Oak student Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

The alleged concern was that the T-shirts would lead to fights on campus.

"They said if we tried to go back to class with our shirts not taken off, they said it was defiance and we would get suspended," said Dominic Maciel.

The chastised teens' parents were furious.

"I think it's absolutely ridiculous," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mom, said. "All they were doing was displaying their patriotic nature. They're expressing their individuality."

Morgan Hill Unified School District released a statement saying it does not agree with how Live Oak High School administrators handled this incident and that the boys would not be suspended.

But some students believe they are owed an apology.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican heritage day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, told NBC. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ag_shirts_on_cinco_de_mayo.html#ixzz0nALQTcOu

1 person likes this.
  2. Sooner423

Sooner423 Member

I'm sure they were flaunting it.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Dumb for them to wear the shirts to deliberately s*** on Mexican national pride.

Even dumber to make them take it off or send them home for it.

1 person likes this.
  4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Let's not compare some kids trying to piss Mexicans off to that, ok?

6. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

the bandannas I get, cause besides being against the rules...they look ridiculous

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Why not?

Those Iwo Jima guys probably hated Mexicans too after that Zimmerman Telegram business that happened during the previous World War.

1 person likes this.
  8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

I wish we would stop treating Cinco De Mayo like it's anything more than just another excuse to drink.

2 people like this.
  9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

A total non-issue, if you ask me. Since when did some kids getting suspended from school turn into a national controversy? Happened every day when I was in high school. Occasionally to me!

But I'm sure this will be the next outrage of the day for the boobs on talk radio and the idiots who listen to them to get all riled up about...

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

no need for bandannas those looks stupid on any day of the week

if they were wearing shirts with american flags on them that seems perfectly fine to me.

ask them to take the bandannas off and thats it

i cant believe students complained about that...ok the bandannas sure but tshirts with the american flag on it? really?

i swear this nation has a generation of wussies going through schools right now

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Good thing they didn't try that crap on Cinco de Mayo.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

[​IMG]

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Were they members of the Icy Hot Stunnaz?

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

15. durvasa

durvasa Member

http://www.btinternet.com/~a.ghinn/greatsin.htm

[rquoter]
    The Great Sin.
    From Mere Christianity by C S Lewis

I now come to that part of Christian morals where they differ most sharply from all other morals. There is one vice of which no man in the world is free; which every one in the world loathes when he sees it in someone else; and of which hardly any people, except Christians, ever imagine that they are guilty themselves. I have heard people admit that they are bad-tempered, or that they cannot keep their heads about girls or drink, or even that they are cowards. I do not think I have ever heard anyone who was not a Christian accuse himself of this vice. And at the same time I have very seldom met anyone, who was not a Christian, who showed the slightest mercy to it in others. There is no fault which makes a man more unpopular, and no fault which we are more unconscious of in ourselves. And the more we have it ourselves, the more we dislike it in others.

The vice I am talking of is Pride or Self-Conceit: and the virtue opposite to it, in Christian morals, is called Humility. You may remember, when I was talking about sexual morality, I warned you that the centre of Christian morals did not lie there. Well, now, we have come to the centre. According to Christian teachers, the essential vice, the utmost evil, is Pride. Unchastity, anger, greed, drunkenness, and all that, are mere fleabites in comparison: it was through Pride that the devil became the devil: Pride leads to every other vice: it is the complete anti-God state of mind.

Does this seem to you exaggerated? If so, think it over. I pointed out a moment ago that the more pride one had, the more one disliked pride in others. In fact, if you want to find out how proud you are the easiest way is to ask yourself, 'How much do I dislike it when other people snub me, or refuse to take any notice of me, or shove their oar in, or patronise me, or show off?' The point is that each person's pride is in competition with every one else's pride. It is because I wanted to be the big noise at the party that I am so annoyed at someone else being the big noise. Two of a trade never agree. Now what you want to get clear is that Pride is essentially competitive - is competitive by its very nature - while the other vices are competitive only, so to speak, by accident. Pride gets no pleasure out of having something, only out of having more of it than the next man. We say that people are proud of being rich, or clever, or good-looking, but they are not. They are proud of being richer, or cleverer, or better-looking than others. If everyone else became equally rich, or clever, or good-looking there would be nothing to be proud about. It is the comparison that makes you proud: the pleasure of being above the rest. Once the element of competition has gone, pride has gone. That is why I say that Pride is essentially competitive in a way the other vices are not. The sexual impulse may drive two men into competition if they both want the same girl. But that is only by accident; they might just as likely have wanted two different girls. But a proud man will take your girl from you, not because he wants her, but just to prove to himself that he is a better man than you. Greed may drive men into competition if there is not enough to go round; but the proud man, even when he has got more than he can possibly want, will try to get still more just to assert his power. Nearly all those evils in the world which people put down to greed or selfishness are really far more the result of Pride.

[...]
    [/rquoter]

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

White people wearing anything that covers most of their heads is never a good sign for minorities.

17. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

I am outraged about the boobs on talk radio. Put the boobs on TV where they can be seen and properly appreciated...

(.)(.)

1 person likes this.
  18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

19. juicystream

juicystream Member

They should have wore Corona and Tequila shirts. Lets celebrate Cinco De Mayo.

[​IMG]

20. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

I do not understand the wearing of clothing with the American Flag. Don't people respect the Flag and the United States Flag Code? If you are trying to show your patriotism, you should show respect for the Flag.