1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Students Dropping Out of High School Reaches Epidemic Levels

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Invisible Fan, Nov 22, 2006.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Member

I was think about this just now. I worked at McDonald when I was in college. There are many high school kids that can not make the right change and had to be put in the back to flip the buggers. ;)

2. nyquil82

nyquil82 Member

I agre with you completely, but we should also have standards and some cut off points. Some people can't be educated or don't want to be, if they don't want to be educated I don't want to spend my tax dollars on them. It's those that do want to learn and aren't getting enough resources and education that I'm concerned about.

3. pirc1

pirc1 Member

That percentage should not be anywhere close to 50% in any city!

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

LOL
    :D

Rocket River
    . . . . just an Old Coot

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Wait, why did you give her the $0.11?

:confused:

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

To get a quarter back I'm guessing.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. . . and don't forget. . if he tells them how stupid they are
    he will get sued

Rocket river

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Well, I don't understand.

Kidding. I used to do this kind of thing all the time to get rid of the change in my car ashtray. Most of the time, people in the drive thru would just give me back the $0.11 and say "oh, I don't need this".

Jeeeeeeesus....

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Actually, he has a co-teacher that helps out with special needs kids in his classes. One day, he was grading some of the quizzes and called one of the football players over. He asked him if he played football and the kid responded that he did. The co-teacher then asked him if he played defense and the kid responded that he did. The co-teacher then asked him what would be the ideal score for the other team to have at the end of the game. At this point, the kid apparently became confused. The co-teacher asked several more times at which time the kid finally understood the question and answered "zero". That's when the co-teacher told him if he could do it in science class, he should be able to do it on the field and handed back his quiz with no correct answers.

Probably not the best way to motivate the kids.

10. pirc1

pirc1 Member

That was pretty funny and humiliating.

11. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I don't really see the big deal here. The drive thru isn't a bank.

12. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

These 'students' filter into the population as a whole. So while there may be some correlation between this and customer service, it is just as likely that the moron is walking up to the counter as he is behind it.

13. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

Yeah but when they charge me $3.94, and I give them $4.04, it just seems like common sense, you know? It's not that hard.

That happens to me all the time in Waco. The kid looks at me like I'm stupid and tosses the change back in my hand and says "I don't need the four cents." When they're rude to me, I get pissy and tell them to take the four cents and give me a $#@&ing dime.

Which is another argument that customer service has gotten bad...

14. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Wow. You can really turn on a dime.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

I don't see why this is a big deal. Some people aren't cut out for High School. I have a friend from Germany who is a PHD student here and he tells me that you don't even have to go to HS in Germany- you have a choice. To top that, you even have a choice of what type of HS if you decide to go on. I don't have the details, but he went to one that prepared him for what he was going to go on to do in college and grad school. It would be great to have that kind of system here in the U.S.

If kids want to drop out of HS, let them. If it's a mistake, they can always go back like our boy Thadeus. 15-17 may not be a good age to make life decisions, but on the other hand, you can drive a huge death machine at 16 and every decision you make there is a life and death one. You can also have sex legally at that age range, and that is a life decision whether they know it or not. So not spending 30-40 hours a week unproductively isn't that big a deal. If kids want to quit and get a job somewhere, more power to them. And if they just sit at home and smoke pot all day, then it was probably their parent's fault in the first place that they weren't nurtured and dropped out, and now the chickens are coming home to roost. Speaking of chickens, having 82% of prison inmates being uneducated isn't a shocker- it's a 'which came first' scenario. If they were made to stay in public school, would their outcome really be any different? I'd say an overwhelming NO to that. Again, it's a upbringing thing IMO.

16. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

At this point dont most registers do the math anyways? Just punch in the amount you were given and the register will tell you what you owe?

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

If they used less thinking, they'd let the cash register do all the work.

We need middle school dropouts.

18. bladeage

bladeage Member

atleast the "good" kids don't have to worry about being disrupted by the idiots that are dropping out.