1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Students Dropping Out of High School Reaches Epidemic Levels

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Invisible Fan, Nov 22, 2006.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Don't forget the flip side to this one. Worker's using jobs only as stepping stones to other jobs (in different companies) and have absolutely no loyalty to a company.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Member

Why anyone would not finish high school is beyond reasoning.

3. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

well to play devils advocate..

If you are not going to go to college,

are jobs requiring a high school degree REALLY that much better than jobs anyone can get?

4. thadeus

thadeus Member

I started as po' white trash.

I didn't like high school, so I got myself kicked out.

I got a G.E.D. a few years later.

About 6 years after that I started college.

About 4 years after that, I graduated college with a dual-major B.A. (summa c*m laude in both programs).

Then I spent a year working (a job I enjoyed but that had nothing to do with my education) and drinking (at my second sorta-job).

And now I'm doing well in graduate school.

You can go far with a G.E.D. - if you're sexy.

Let this be a lesson to all you kids out there: If you're not sexy, you better finish high school. If you are sexy ... then **** it.

5. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Member

these kids are fools

6. pirc1

pirc1 Member

Nice detour! Congrats.

7. percicles

percicles Member

This is great news for strip clubs and p*rn Valley.

Keep'em coming US education system.

8. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

It was more of a metour.

9. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Member

I have no problems with some kids dropping out of High School ... Is it really much different than the kids that are still in school and don't do anything, but get passed because the teachers pass pretty much everyone? The only difference is that they are not there to disturb the kids that want to learn and get an education.

I believe they should be kicking more kids out of school into alternate/work programs and actually having real accountability as to what they are learning (i.e. not passing them just because they've been there). I also believe there should be more formal education available for adults that have previously dropped out. Many of these people are not mature enough to understand why they need an education when they are young, and I am all for giving more opportunity when they finally realize the value of education.

10. thadeus

thadeus Member

Don't be envious of the sexy. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go oil up and do some flexing.

11. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

[​IMG]

12. nyquil82

nyquil82 Member

I blame the pop culture. Look at all the teen idols out there, is there a single one of them who is fawned over for their education or their brains? the ones who went to the best schools went there for a sports scholarship.

On top of that, parents should know better, if the kids don't believe in education its the parents fault because they are the only major influence in their life that will tell them so.

On the other hand, if they are really stupid and without a paddle, then its not a bad thing if the dummies don't get an opportunity at the post- college jobs. It opens up room for those who really want to go to college to get a scholarship if the number of college applicants drop. Also, if someone is not capable of learning in school, they probably aren't capable of learning in most workplaces that aren't any more interesting. After all, someone needs to flip the burgers.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

short sited IMO
    a Strong America is an Educated America

to just say forget them . . is easy
    but in time. . the lack of education has a cumulative effect IMO

Rocket River

14. tested911

tested911 Member

Blah like this is an eye-opener.... The Parents are the number 1 reason why this happen.. The American culture has led to this type of travesity...

15. tested911

tested911 Member

What your telling me it's gotten better :D

16. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Member

Dad?? :confused:

17. thadeus

thadeus Member

I agree with this for the most part.

High school is now more about social conditioning than education (it wasn't always that way - it used to actually mean something). You can get any low-wage job without a high school diploma. You can get a not-quite-as-low-wage job if you have one. The reason some employers emphasize a diploma has little to do with education - if the knowledge of a potential employee was a concern, then they'd test potential employees (and some do). The trick is that someone with a high school diploma has a somewhat verifiable and pre-established history of spending 8 hours a day in drudgery for little apparent reward, and that's exactly what most employers are looking for in a candidate.

High school is a joke. It rewards obedience above all else, buttresses social hierarchies established by the accidents of birth, and dangles the illusion that things are going to change after graduation day. For most people, they won't - you'll still be spending most of the hours that make up your waking life engaged in drudgery just because you're required to do so.

The education one acquires from high school (based on what I've seen, not what I've experienced) does not prepare one to be a better citizen in the sense of being aware of the world and of being able to view it critically. It's a factory for turning out workers. With that said, I believe high school is necessary for most people, not because it's good for them directly as individuals, but because it helps maintain a stable society by preparing millions of soon-to-be adults for their lot in life.

18. tigermission1

tigermission1 Member

You make a valid point, but at the same time, in the 50s and 60s a lot of people had the luxury to seek further education and stay at home and raise their kids properly. These days, the vast majority of Americans -- i.e. the middle class -- need two incomes to maintain a middle-class lifestyle, and more and more parents either don't have the time to invest in their kids or are simply disinterested in raising them, unwilling to put in the hard work, or just plain lack proper parental skills, and our society doesn't make it any easier on them.

So yes, things have changed drastically since the 'golden age' of the 50s and 60s, some of it has to do with economics and some of it is the radical cultural/social change this country has gone through in the past half-century.

For better or worse, this is a radically different society than that of decades past...there are some positives but also some negatives, as is often the case with anything.

19. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

My uncle recently commented on this happening to him in Houston.

I was a McDonald's the other day and the price of my meal was $4.86, so; I gave the cashier $5.11 for payment. She looked at the money, then looked at the cash register, then looked at the money and then with the most inquisitive face she told me that my bill was $4.86.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I have a friend who started teaching high school this year. He has about 150 kids total and probably 10 of them even turn in their homework when it's assigned. He gave them what questions would be on their first quiz and more than half of them showed up the next day not even realizing they had a quiz.

Of course, no surprise whatsoever when a grand total of 8 parents showed up on parents night.