1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Student shot at Westbury

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrdave543, Nov 28, 2006.

1. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4364537.html
    :(

16-year-old Westbury High School student was fatally shot this morning in what police are describing as a drive-by shooting along a side street adjacent to the campus.

The victim - a high school freshman - was shot twice in the chest between 8:35 a.m. and 8:40 a.m. on the 5400 block of Dryad - about 10 to 15 minutes after classes started.

The student was transported to Ben Taub Hospital, where "he died on arrival,'' said Evelyn Flouri, of the homicide division of the Houston Police Department. Police were not releasing the victim's name.

Police told HISD superintendent Abelardo Saavedra that the shooting appears to be gang-related.

HPD officer say they were preparing to interview several witnesses to the crime, also believed to be students. Authorities are searching for a brown car that fled the scene, with two males inside.

Westbury, a southwest Houston campus with 2,089 students, has had more than its share of problems in the last 12 months.

Earlier this year, a 15-year-old girl was sexually assaulted in the second-floor restroom at Westbury High School. Late last year, 27 students were arrested after a brawl erupted between Houston students and Hurricane Katrina evacuees.

The campus has three full-time police officers and more than 100 surveillance cameras to protect students, according to HISD officials. Saavedra said there would be increased police presence beginning today in and around the school.

"It's a good school," Terry Abbott said today at the school.

Elgin Morgan, 59, was on his way to work at Bush Intercontinental Airport, when he saw police officers outside the high school, where his nephew is a student.

"There's always something going on here,'' said Morgan, who has lived a block from the school for the past two years. He specifically cited the rape at the school last year.

Violeta Flores, a Westbury high junior, said she knew nothing about the shooting until her mother arrived early to pick her up.

"I don't think it is safe,'' said the 16-year-old girl.

The girl's mother, Rosario Aguilar, said in Spanish she didn't know if she will let her daughter return to school tomorrow. ``She's worried someone will come back and do another drive-by,'' said the teen, translating for her mother.

After last year's rape, she said school officials handed out flyers warning students to be careful about whom they speak to.

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

My neighborhood is going down the toilet. :(

3. tested911

tested911 Member

Good school my A$# .. When has it ever been a good school? I remember back when I was in HS in the early 90's it was just as bad....

4. RocketMan Tex

Terry Abbott makes big bucks to spout complete bullsh!t like that. He is HISDs media spokesman.

5. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I was at the doctor this morning and one of my nurse's daughter goes to Westbury. It was general chaos at the school for quite some time.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think that Westbury area has been getting flushed for years. Don't get outta your car at night. lol.

7. RocketMan Tex

It's been bad for a while. Katrina evacuees have made the crime worse. More gang graffiti than ever.

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I work right up the street from there. And for HISD, no less. Not a great day for the district.

9. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Southwest Houston and Alief have been a toilet for years.

10. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Your neighborhood? I don't think I like the idea of living this close to a fellow Clutchfan. ;P

My sis is still at school, my name isn't on file to take her out of school :\

Good school my ass.

Hopefully this will give us leverage to get my sister in at my brother's/cousin's school. (Challenge HCC something or other, in the West Loop HCC campus. School for...bleh, can't remember the zoolander line.)

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

westbury would be a great area if they closed down all the housing projects near by. the location is great.

houston's no zoning rule is crap.

12. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

My alma mater is in the news way too damn much. I will stand up for the school and say it was still fairly decent back in the '90's. After my class graduated ('99), it seemed all the good teachers left as well.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

i went back to htown for thanksgiving. driving on the sam houston tollway. next thing i know, i hear a thud on my car, some dude hit me on the right side!
    then when he saw me look over, he took off like 120mph, i couldnt catch him or see his license plate. thankfully it was just cosmetic damage to my car.

but this is what my old town has turned into. In Round Rock, I accidentally rear ended someone long time back (did zero damage to his truck), and the dude asked got out and asked me if I was ok.

the sense of safety is gone when im in houston. i guess the great thing is that the food was great as usual and that the Rockets won when I was there this weekend.

14. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

According to who? I never understood why people think Alief is such a horrible area.

15. JunkyardDwg

I saw a woman in an suv back into a truck at Best Buy on black friday, bad enough to put a dent in her own car (couldn't tell if any damage was done to the truck). Don't know if she left a note (she parked near the audio garage) but she sure peeled off after she hit the truck to make it look like nothing happened.

But you're probably gonna find that type of behavior anywhere, it's not exclusive to Houston; neither are gang-related shooting outside of a high school.

But the fact that so many things have happened at Westbury recently sure makes me embarrassed to have gone there.

16. JunkyardDwg

And I'll add that saying Southwest Houston is a horrible area is painting a broad stroke. The Fondren Southwest area is bad.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you want to zone the poor people from the rich people? a lot of high schools in the houston area deal with this "problem".

18. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Welcome to my neighborhood! :|

19. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

There went the neighborhood? :confused:

20. tinman

Supporting Member

do i want to put the housing projects away from the regular neighborhoods.. yes
    what about the people in fondren southwest? i know people who's parents homes decreased in value and they are really nice homes too.
    throw in the katrina thugs and the rest of inner loop not named Bellaire,West U and Rivers Oaks is the hood.