1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stuck in NFL Purgatory

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bag0b0y, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

This season was promising to begin with and the playoffs finally looked like a real possibility until the injuries ravaged this team.

With our QB likely out for the rest of the year we're probably looking at 7-9 AT BEST which means we're stuck in the middle round of the draft + no playoffs = NFL purgatory

In any case I've wondered when this team will rise from mediocrity. I know Kubiak has this team headed in the right direction going into his 3rd season next year and that we have a great GM and all but didn't we see the same prospects in the last group (Casserly, Capers et al)??? I mean nobody saw the 4th year collapse coming prior to the the 7-9 record in 2004. In fact people were predicting playoffs in 2005 for the texans.

I was just wondering how short of a leash will mcnair give his current managerial and coaching staff this time given with what had occured previously.

And speaking of the owner (he's a great guy and all) but I was just wondering what type of owner is he? Is he the passive type to just leave all the football business to the football people as long as he's making business? I'm from dallas and obviously I get a lot of cowgirls news here and hear about how jerry jones is so involved with the teams decisions that he practically drafts the players he wants. How involved is McNair? I certainly hope he doesn't pull a Bud Adams on us after the novelty of the stadium wears off and he starts losing money.

This team is more talented than the previous teams I have to admit but if they can't stay healthy it makes no difference. Just to note our starting qb,rb, a good mix of ol, and ALL our pro bowlers have been seen time on the pine due to injuries. This team can't catch a break. (no pun intended).

Anyways, being the NFL whipping team really sucks. Yes, the dolphins haven't won a game yet (but at least they get the number 1 pick) but the fact of the matter is that this team hasn't given us much to root for come playoff time.

Even though I don't get to watch their games up here as much (I actually spent 45 bucks for payper view to watch them play the falcons.) I still find myself with renewed hope every Sunday and in the beginning of every season. I just wish I had more to root for than who they will pick in the up coming draft.

2. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Don't worry. They're not going to win another game this season. 5-11 and a shot at McFadden.

3. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Curse of Kris Brown.

4. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

NFL Purgatory = Miami Dolphins

We are on the right track and have more talent on this team then we ever had. Of course injuries have shown that we are still thin but at least we have been in most of the games this year.

The way the draft is a hit or miss, just having a high draft pick does not equate to a great player. We have found many of our current players in the later rounds and they HAVE contributed. Unlike the previous regime, this one has an eye for talent. One more year of drafts like the previous 2 will show us to be a playoff contender. I realize we have waited so long but this team is heading on the correct path to success.

5. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Your voice of reason has no place in a Texans thread :p

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

that would be awesome. dude is like a healthy AP.

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

With all due respect, being an Oilers' fan (especially during the early 1970s) was the definition of NFL purgatory.

8. JamesC

JamesC Member

I love McFadden but with the Texans luck he'll be long gone by the time they pick.

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The Dolphins are in NFL Hell. Purgatory is in between heaven and hell and that is where we are here. We have the players to at least be decent, but they keep getting hurt and the team makes a lot of stupid mistakes and turnovers.

10. msn

msn Member

I think we're firmly on planet earth, myself. Perhaps with our faces (and our QB's shoulder) ground into the mud.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

a tough division, doesn't help, the texans are 0-4 vs the division and still have a game against j ville and indy. if the texans were in the west, they'd be in the hunt and probably more competitive in the East, obviously not against the Patriots.

12. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

The Texans just need to keep adding depth through the draft and free agency. Their an expansion team created after rules made it more difficult for expansion teams to build their rosters. They got a lot of unlucky breaks this season (and the seasons before), but a large part of sports is about luck (which is difficult for some fans to come to grips with since it makes them even more helpless as non-participants). They just need to continue plugging up the holes (hopefully on the offensive line). They're bound to catch a break one of these days...

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It wouldn't be because of our luck, the kid is really good and if the top teams were in need of a RB, he'd probably be the #1 pick.

As of now...

1. Dolphins- Ronnie Brown, plus they have a ton of holes.
    2. Rams- Steven Jackson, need to look to replace Pace.
    3. Jets- Thomas Jones, possible destination but have bigger needs.
    4. Patriots- Laurence Maroney, can't believe they'll have a lottery pick.
    5. Raiders- Al Davis is crazy, but not this crazy. McFadden + Russell= :eek:

14. gucci888

Some luck is involved, but to say its a large part of sports is kind of an excuse IMO. The Panthers had a lot of success shortly after coming into the NFL, IIRC they won their division in their 2nd season. The truth is that the Texans have made some horrible personnel decisions and I'm not sure who is to blame (Casserly, McNair, Carr? :D ) but like you said, we just need to keep adding depth and hopefully starting talent through depth and FA.

15. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

16. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

They're... :mad: :mad: :mad:

17. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Let me clear up what I was trying to write. I had said in my first post that the Texans were an expansion team created after the rules made it more difficult for expansion teams to build their rosters. The Panthers and Jaguars started before the expansion rules were changed, which is why they have had much more success than the Texans and (I think) the Browns.

18. gucci888

Achilleus- Which rule are you speaking of? The amount of money avaiable to teams for FA after the expansion draft?

Don't forget that the Panthers also had to share an expansion draft w/ the Jags while the Texans got their pick of the litter.

19. yobod

yobod Member

In a dream world, if we could somehow get him in a Texans uniform, I honestly think that would be the final piece to a playoff puzzle. However, even if we were to go 5-11, there would still probably be a good 7-9 teams ahead of us/tied with us in the draft.
    Miami
    New England (via SF)
    Minnesota
    Oakland
    Cincinnati
    NY Jets
    Baltimore
    Atlanta
    All these teams have worse records than us, and there are a few other teams that are within a game of us. On top of that, there are only about 2-3 teams behind us in the standings that couldn't use a top-notch RB. Unless we can somehow move up (which I don't see happening since we're giving up some picks to Atlanta), Darren McFadden won't be a Texan.

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

With the way Fargas is running, I doubt they will take McFadden. Plus w/ Lamont Jordan and Rhodes on the team, they're set at RB.