1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stros all alone in first place !!!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaDakota, Apr 3, 2001.

1. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

s.o.p.

------------------
    "...just because a clever person can complicate the discussion about the truth doesn't necessarily mean he or she is making any progress in finding it."

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The Cards could be in real trouble this season if McGwire can't stay healthy. A real opening for the Stros.

As for the rotation, I'd put Dotel back in the pen myself (where he was more effective last season). At least give Bottenfield the chance; he's got more pitches and is more durable. If he fails or if Shane suffers a setback, Dotel is a nice security policy.

------------------
    I'm about to boldly go where many men have gone before.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ive heard we can expect to see Shane come back either April 17th or April 18th, depending on whether or not he takes Dotel's or Bottenfield's spot.

I think Dotel actually has more potential, but the consistency isnt there yet. Bottenfield is a veteran pitcher who, in combination with a veteran catcher (Ausmus) can be fairly consistent, say a 14-7 record or so. The only worries I have with Bottenfield are pitching in Enron. As far as Dotel goes, he is a on one day, off another type at the moment. With some experience and good tutalage he should become the better pitcher.

Tommorow's game should be interesting. How will Ankiel fare after beating Arizona? I think it is fair to say this Astros lineup has a little bit more pop in their bats.

------------------
    Haha.. you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is: Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less well know is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Reynolds is scheduled to pitch Wednesday which would be Bottenfield's normal turn. it is a nice problem to have as long as all continue to pitch well. Dotel's next start could decide if it is he or Kent who eventually go to the pen. I would hate to see Dotel pitch well and then be taken out of the rotation. Hopefully, Elarton will step up tomorrow and break the Astros 3 game losing streak in day games. 7-0 at night, 0-3 during the day.

------------------

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The daytime jinx is over - Astros 7 Cardinals 4, Wagner gets his 4th save. Elarton pitches great except for 3 solo home runs. He also left the game after some sort of injury in the 8th inning. Let's hope it was only a precautionary measure.

------------------

6. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Truby with 2 more homers today. Gives him 6 for the year. #2 in the NL.

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

7. JayZ750

Starting to get some recognition:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/kurkjian_tim/1171904.html

With nightmare of 2000 over, Astros back and kicking

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Tim Kurkjian
    ESPN The Magazine

You know all is well with the Astros when the sparkle is back in Craig Biggio's eyes and the limp is gone from his stride. All is well when Jeff Bagwell is at his self-deprecating best, joking about his shortness and his swing -- "I have 48 check-swing strikeouts already," he says. All is well when Billy Wagner's elbow doesn't hurt, and he's throwing in the mid-90s.

All is well everywhere with the Astros, quite a change from this time last season. They've made friends with their ballpark, their lineup is one of the best in the game, their pitching looks better than it has in several years and they've won six of their first eight games. And they've done this with little production from Bagwell, and with no help from left fielder Moises Alou or right-handed pitcher Shane Reynolds, who have yet to play this year because of injuries.

We've got a chance to be very good," says Wagner. "Good things are happening to us again."

That started late last season -- too late to salvage anything other than setting the National League record for home runs in a season -- when the Astros decided that they can't beat little Enron Field, so they might as well beat it to death.

"Going there wasn't an easy adjustment," Wagner says. "We went from one of the biggest parks (Astrodome) in the game -- you could throw the ball in the middle of the plate there -- to one of the smallest. We had to change everything. At Enron, you have to pitch inside as much as possible. Now, we are."

They didn't win their fourth game at Enron Field until May 9, 2000. They won their fourth game there this year on April 6. They've won because they've blasted their opponents, three of their four home wins have been over the Brewers. Third baseman Chris Truby ("look how big his arms are," says Biggio) homered in each of the first three games (Mark McGwire and Willie Mays are the only players in history to homer in each of the first four of a season); center fielder Richard Hidalgo knocked in 10 runs in the first three games -- no player in the last 25 years had that many RBI so early in a season.

As good as those guys were, the Pirates, who also got a good look at Houston's power, raved mostly about outfielder Daryle Ward, who has slimmed down from last year but won't even start when Alou returns. Believe it or not, the NL record 249 homers the Astros hit last season might last just one season the way they're hitting the ball.

"Corner to corner," Bagwell says of the new success at Enron. It's a very small ballpark down each line, but a big place to dead center. The Astros have their pull swings going this season.

But what they also have is strength of pitching, which comes primarly from an attitude change. "No more excuses," says pitching coach Burt Hooton. He made it clear from the start of spring training that there will be no complaining about the dimensions at Enron: it is what it is, deal with it. Anyway, it's not as hitter-friendly as it was last year after netting was put up in left center; already, two or three balls that were home runs last year have been doubles this season. Hooton also has stressed pitching inside more, and throwing more fastballs. "What I saw when I got here (midway through) last year, was a bunch of guys throwing a lot of breaking balls," Hooton said. "What is it that gets players signed? A good fastball."

Few have a better one than Wagner, who is healthy again after attempting to pitch through excruciating pain in his elbow for the first two months of last year. The pain is gone, he has two saves and hasn't allowed a run in four innings. In his one-inning save on Tuesday night against the Brewers, he struck out the side in the ninth on 11 pitches.

"I owe it all to Robb Nen," Wagner said. "He told me last year to get my elbow done (surgery) right away rather than wait until the winter. I couldn't have been ready for this year if I had waited." Wagner also has more help than ever this season, with Doug Brocail and Mike Jackson by his side.

Wagner still has the best stuff on the staff, but Wade Miller is a close second. Miller's stuff was undeniably good last season, but he's been even better in his first two starts this year against as he has struck out 23 batters in 16 2/3 innings.

With Jose Lima apparently over his fear of Enron, Scott Elarton at the top of his game and Reynolds on the way back, the Astros' rotation has a chance to be dominant by July. And running the staff is catcher Brad Ausmus, who is considered to be one of the game's best handlers of pitchers.

Bagwell and Biggio were among those who questioned why the Astros would trade their pal Ausmus two years ago. Well, he's back. And there they were, three good friends, taking early batting practice at Milwaukee's Miller Park on Tuesday. Their smiles were unmistakable. They were smiles that we didn't see at all last year.

------------------
    Haha.. you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is: Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less well know is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

[This message has been edited by JayZ750 (edited April 14, 2001).]

8. DiSeAsEd MoNkEy

well i dont know that much about all the other teams, but i do know i love the 'stros! i went to their pre-season game on umm friday...... march 30th against the red sox, the 'stros won yay! well just thought yall guys needed to know that! and enron field is pretty kick ass!! bye byes=)

------------------
    im a girl...YAY!!!

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

what the hell was Barker thinking scoring from second ? he was out by a mile.....

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

10. JayZ750

As of right now the Stros are no longer alone in first place (Chicago???). Perhaps this thread should die and a new one should start when they recapture sole possession of 1st in the Central!

------------------

11. unt2003

unt2003 Member

got to love the 'stros!!! they are going to have a fabulous season

------------------

12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

No wire to wire this year. But still a great start considering the disaster of a season the Astros had last year.

------------------
    See the three, be the three.

13. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Looks like the Pirates will be one of those teams that gives the Stros trouble, like the Cards and Reds have in the past.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thought I might bring this thread back, since the Astros are in first place again. :D

Now we can just post in this thread, instead of starting a new Astros thread every couple of games.

Houston Astros, your 2001 World Series Champions!

:D