1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stretch run???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ming the Dream, Mar 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Ming the Dream

Ming the Dream Contributing Member

I know this is one of the biggest cliches in sports, but in this case it may ring true. We have 21 games left in the season, and are two games out of the playoffs. The next four games, all of which are at home, are must win games if we are to get into the playoffs. IMO if we don't win these four, our season is pretty much well over. Obviously the Rox do not play well on the road, so we have to take advantage of our home games.

2. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Definitely. But man...they just can't win. They are struggling.
    I think they are CAPABLE of winning the next 5.
    New Jersey is struggling...but can still beat us. We can beat them too. Tough one...we have homecourt advantage. That's it.
    Then we play against the Clippers...who we have lost to TWO TIMES already...maybe THREE TIMES. We better beat them at least one time...Golly! Prevent their new coach from getting his first victory.
    Then the Bulls...we can beat them. We CAN. But...probably not.
    Pheonix Suns...I think they have returned. They beat the Spurs and Trailblazers. Hopefully they lose to Minnesota on Saturday. MAYBE we can beat them. I hope we do beat them.
    Then at Seattle...we can beat them too. But probably will be an upset.

I don't see the Rockets ever winning more than 4 games in a row. They just can't do it...something is wrong with their heads. Too inconsistent. But it would be nice. They need to win all 5.

3. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

The big game is going to be the one I'm going to against the Suns on the 16th. We'll be in the playoffs.

4. Ming the Dream

I hope your right, but imo if we don't win the previous 3, and beat the Suns it doesn't make much difference. If we are still 2-3 games back after this homestand, we are cooked. That leaves us 17 games to make up a 2 or 3 game lead, and with 4 less home games. That will not happen. It is now or never for the ROX..

5. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

Our team doesnt have any confidence anymore. Maybe that win over the Raptors will help us out alot. It's been said alot around this board: We don't play to win anymore, we play to not lose.

6. Ming the Dream

I can't argue with that. Hopefully the win over the Raps have us a little confidence. Only problem is I have been hoping this win or that win would give us confidence for the last 2 months. I hope we make the playoffs, and think we can, but we have to put these 4 together, if not we might as well start looking at the off--season.

7. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

Tomorrow's game will be interesting. We haven't been playing great of yet but neither has New Jersey. But we're at home now. If the "6th man" (the fans show up) and go crazy like its a playoff game like the Memphis fans do, then we'll win more homegames. It's getting to the point where playing at home is just as hostile for the Rockets as playing on the road!

8. Ming the Dream

I don't live in Houston, so I couldn't comment on the crowd noise at home games. However, if they are getting booed, you have to admit some of it they have brought on themselves.

9. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

I don't live in Houston either. Do you have NBA league pass or get to watch any of their home games? The crowd is so quiet. I fly to Houston to visit my girlfriend who lives there a few times a year and we go to a Rockets game each time I go there during the NBA season and it's very quiet.

10. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

When the Rockets play at home I think the key thing is that they
    get off to a good start because that gets the crowd into it early and that seems to help their confidence. They dont need to grow a big lead, but they need to hit a fair amount of their shots early or else they kinda get that look where they start to act like its going to be one of those nights and then the crowd is disinterested and that seems to have a negative effect too. So good starts...or rather not having bad offensive first quarters may
    be the most important thing that this team needs during this most
    crucial homestand.

11. cmellon

cmellon Member

Looking back in the last 10 games, I don't see any reason whatsoever to consider Rockets may suddenly improve. Unlike first half of the season, Rockets play has been pretty consistent right now. They lose to teams they should lose and only occasionally win over teams they should win.

If we are lucky, we'll get 1 game out of the next 4 home games (Nets, Clippers, Bulls, and Suns), with one win against Bulls. Against Nets and Suns, Rockets has no chance at the current condition. Against Clippers, they have lost twice previously, I don't see why they can suddenly win.

12. Sane

Sane Member

Here's the formula for the next 4 games:

Rockets play

NJ, Clippers, Bulls, Phoenix

Suns play

Minny, @Golden State, Sacramento, @Houston

Now, let's say, out of our first 3, we win 2. Let's also say that the Suns win 1 of their first 3. These are the most realistic predictions. So, the Rockets win at home against Phoenix, the game Yao has circled on his calndar btw.

If we win, we come out of the stretch 3-1, while Phoenix come out 1-3. This means we're tied with Phoenix for 8th spot and we have the tie breaker.

Hopefully we'll start with a win against the Nets, which would give us hope of going 4-0, but also allowing a 1-game margin for error. As for the Suns, I can't bring myself to believe that they'll win more than 2 of their next 4. That is THE most optimistic prediction for their next. As for us, at WORST, we'll win 2, because we won't go .500 at home, while Yao doesn't play any back-to-backs, and he realizes how important the games are.

My prediction is this: We will end up in the playoffs because we will win against Phoenix in Houston.

13. Sane

Sane Member

I don't want to curse us by writing off Golden State, but their only hope is if they win 4 of the next 5, which is unlikely:

@Milwaukee
    @Detroit
    Phoenix
    Dallas
    @Seattle

All of those teams are competing for a certain spot in the playoffs, 3 of those games are away, and one at home against the Mavericks. 3-2 is pretty damn optimistic.

14. cmellon

cmellon Member

I disagree with you. With Rocket's current condition, the most optimistic is 2-2 (2 wins against Clippers and Bulls). The most realistic is 1-3 (1 win against Bulls), and the most pessimistic is
    0-4 (which is not too unrealistic btw).

I'm quite accurate in my prediction. I'm one of the top players (no 2) behind B at season game prediction website at www.dreamshake.co.uk/predict.php

15. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

We can definitely go 5-0!!!!

But probably will not.

I WISH we could win 5 in a row.

Or go 4-1.

Or 3-2.

And hopefully Pheonix loses their games.

BUT AFTER THESE 5 GAMES...it will not be very pleasant playing Golden State and Sacramento. :( Then we will lose two games..

SO WE HAVE TO WIN AT LEAST 3 OF OUR 4 HOME GAMES.... :(

16. TaiMaiShu

TaiMaiShu Member

cmellon, the game is more then just prediction, what you have done, guessed or predicted, so far is impressive but not with out a bit of luck. We'll see. Your prediction is pretty good except one thing, 2-2 is the high pick. That is 500. Most optimistically we won't be worse than our record but better. The Rocks will do better then 2-2 including a huge victory over the Suns. Like someone said, Yao has this game circled, he has mentioned the importance of this game before. At least we get to see how good the guesses hold up after the games. For now I have a good feeling. We might finally get to see if the rockets still have the heart of a champion.