1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Strategy of drafting "twitch" athletes over good basketball players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 21, 2023.

1. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Member

I would like to agree with the OP but Jalen Green isn't a good example. How can you watch this and tell me he isn't skilled? Step backs, mid range game, he is capable of scoring on all levels... His issue is efficiency and that will come as his body matures.

2. TheBeastSystem

hendricks skills length shooting quick twitch
    black skills length shooting iq
    bilal skills length shooting iq quick twitch

3. dmoneybangbang

To the OP’s point, the Rockets aren’t pioneering anything by potentially taking more raw players with very athletic traits.

4. kubli9

kubli9 Member
    Supporting Member

I never said Amen lacks in BBIQ. My post was about Stro Swift in relation to teams favoring great athletes.

Nook likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

To the OP’s point, the Rockets aren’t pioneering anything by potentially taking more raw players with very athletic traits.

Just seems like there is a disagreement on who the rockets should have been taking.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Anything is possible - but it is close to zero.

The top 3 in the draft are Wemby, Miller and Henderson.

The Rockets are comfortable picking 4th and they will be picking Amen Thompson, they were very impressed with his workout, he has been vetted, multiple people in the organization favor Amen, including the HC and GM and AGM. At this point it is the worst kept secret, the Rockets have known for some time (regardless of what they will say after the draft).

7. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Thanks for this tidbit Nook!
    It's great to know that we have such consensus with our braintrust! (Ime, Stone, PF)
    I take solace in the fact that we've had most all of the favorites at #4 in for personal workouts (Cam, A. Black, Thompson Twins) with Black and the twins even coming in on the same day to get a clear gauge on how they look side by side so to speak.
    Although with a pg the big test is really in 5 on 5.

But I'll at least know that we've made what we think is the wisest decision for the future and we have agreement at the top!
    Hopefully we'll hear..............

[​IMG]

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Haters man.

It's kind of incredible what world, sports social media has created now that you can go full boar on the back of one player coming out so much that it changes your favorite team allegiance.

Every time some random ass armchair GM here takes the full on role of picking for the team and still not being able to get the rights or royalties after the guy they DIDN'T want gets drafted really grinds their gears. To the point where even 3 years after, they won't stop touting up random ass role players as over them, as if that random ass role players team doesn't have a superstar or at least star creating plays and space for them.

Basically a bunch of know-it-alls that know nothing about the league and what it takes to build a team....yet in their tiny basic ass worlds, it's a very very different story.

Ancient Moabite and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I know you meant "BLOCK" skills. Lol....one letter means a lot.

But I'm beginning to think the Blazers are going Amen Thompson too

10. Nook

Nook Member

As for Jalen Green..... he and Amen Thompson are a perfect match both offensively and defensively.

Ancient Moabite, Dobbizzle and Denovo like this.
  11. meh

meh Member

Well I was like 8 when Hardaway was drafted but my memory of Penny in Orlando would say if you give Amen Penny's shooting ability, then Amen will be a better player in the NBA than Penny (ignoring injury here).

12. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

Even THAT is a bold statement. That's how good Penny was.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Defensively is what I worry about the most with those two. Amen desperately needs structure and fundamentals on defense. Either OTE allowed him to reach way too much and be out of position or that’s just his natural inclination to play defense like that. It’s kind of hard to tell. Hopefully Ime can convey structure to him rapidly.

I’m watching another full game with Amen right now v KT Kings. I’m about half way thru and I’m seeing the same sort of things I saw in his TBT game. He isn’t running point nearly as much as you would expect. When he does have the ball on offense it’s not like anything magical is happening and his handles are nothing to wow about. I’m not trying to be a hater but I’m just not seeing the baseline point guard handling skills.

They put him more as the center on defense because he’s one of the bigger players on the court. When he is guarding the perimeter he gets blown by and caught on screens too often. I’m not seeing a guy with all defense upside like a Marcus Smart.

He kind of gets lulled into the pace of the game rather than dictating it…which worries me.

He does have nice weak side blocks and on ball blocks against smaller guards. I don’t know maybe it’s just the style of game at the OTE level that makes him look worse. Maybe better competition will make him look better…I’m trying to be positive…

14. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

He's literally talking about a player named Black.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Jalen is only 21, but he has some things to work on......he is still an effective NBA player, as he is developing, and may become a star player some day.

DD

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Very young twitch.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I never got to see Penny play on TV so I just started watching his YouTube highlights because of the Amen comparisons that were said. Dude looked better than Jordan or am I tripping?

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

The hype of Penny was the ball handling and playamking of Magic but the athleticism and fluidity of Jordan. Obviously he never reached that level. Shows how important health and psychopathic dedication is to a career which Jordan had both in spades.

xaos, cheke64 and Zen Tabak like this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Shaq was sad Penny didn't fight to keep him in Orlando. Shaq said he was better than Kobe and I agree.

Penny's speed obliterated the best defenders like MJ and Pippen.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Penny is not like Amen, I think Amen is better than Penny. Both are the same height, but Amen is much bigger than him(194 lbs to 214lbs). He is a better defender(shot blocking and rebounding) than Penny but Penny is a way better shooter. Amen will be a special player in this league, the game against Portland was not a fluke.

Hakeemtheking and Williamson like this.