1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stop Worrying about Amen’s Shooting...Two Words: Ben Sullivan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CHAMPBOY, May 19, 2023.

?

Should we draft Amen Thompson

1. Yes, Ben Sullivan will help him with his shot

34 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. No, just BPA

24 vote(s)
    41.4%
  1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Corey Brewer who averaged 1.5 assists per game over his career? That Corey Brewer?

i3artow i3aller and No Worries like this.
  2. Rokman

Rokman Member

Yeah, that Corey Brewer, who played in the actual NBA. Are you talking about the Amen Thompson who played in an unregulated, slightly above High School league?

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

My point is, if Brewer looked to make plays for others and was a great passer, he wouldn't have been the same player. Even an uncharitable view of Amen has him as a better playmaker and a more unselfish offensive player than Brewer. It's just not a good comp even if you're down on Thompson.

If you want to hate on Amen, why not at least talk about Rockets Legend Shaun Livingston before he blew up his knee? That would be closer. (Shame we never got to see what he could've become if he'd stayed healthy.)

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I could see the argument but Amen seems to have a better handle and better passing than the Brewer prototype... and his shooting is even worse.

The reason Brewer was the worst case scenario for Green was because he was coming in with nothing but athleticism. Thus far he's shown enough to raise his floor a bit. He's not as pathetic shooting the ball as Brewer, but not as good as a Lou Williams. That'll be his next goal, to get that good.

As to the Thompson's, their floor is considerably lower because they don't currently seem to shoot the ball at an NBA level at all. They could be in and out of the league like a fart in the wind if they don't figure that out.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Yeah, them roids changed everything. MVP! Still. Can’t. Shoot!

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Healthy Shaun Livingston was good at dunking. I guess that is good if you are looking for a score-first PG.

Can Ben Sullivan also teach passing?

Asking for a friend.

bumbum09 likes this.
  7. Rokman

Rokman Member

Just think about frustrated everyone is with what a great athlete Jalen Green is but how inefficient his shooting is. Now add someone equally as athletic but far worse of a shooter. Fans are gonna call for Stones head.

8. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

It doesn't work like that. Shooting coaches don't make miracles happen. Giannis still sucks and White wasn't the worst shooter on the planet. If you told me he helped Westbrook, i'd be impressed and sold.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

I honestly think Green is a positive example of how well athleticism translates across levels. Very few players his age are ever as good as he has been.

It doesn't mean he will continue to improve, but even if he doesn't, he's already good enough to play in the league for a long time as long as he doesn't get hurt, as something like a sparkplug off the bench type of guy.

If he gets better at scoring, which he very well may... the league better watch out.

10. Rokman

Rokman Member

I agree with you in that if he was in Pops or Spolestras or any other top tier coaches team and shooting like he does he would be a bench sparkplug . . . Not a starter. . . until he figured out how to get his shot right and finish at the rim when contested. I think Jalen will improve and is still young. I personally haven't written him off but Udoka is going to have to be blunt with this guy about how he plays. No more hugging and hand holding these guys on year 3. I think that's when we'll see Jalen turn the corner, at least, one can only hope.

OremLK likes this.
  11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I hope this shooting coach helps if we draft Amen.

right now his jumper looks more like something from Ed Sullivan.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well, all of that I agree with. I think he's only 1 notch below "good starter" level right now though... he's almost there

13. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

Yeah, also seemed weird to me. But the rookie thing isn't the right argument. So many players have good shooting rookie years and then fall apart. Good examples are Iverson and Deron Williams. I just figured it's because they're getting wide open looks because the scouting book wasn't up on them yet. There are tons more examples. Neither here nor there, but interesting.