1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOP Shooting 3s CUTINO

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 26, 2004.

1. jelanit

jelanit Contributing Member

First off, I have watched every game this season. Secondly, I'm not saying that he should not shoot threes at all. When he is on, he is ON. However, I just think he has gotten comfortable shooting threes and his slashing game is suffering becuase of it. If the shots are falling, then he should take them all night (and I will love every minute of it), but I also feel that when he does have an off night, he should open up his game a little and drive to the cup.

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

pasox2 -
    I'm not in the CD fan club but you seriously need to read Jeff's take about how the process works. (Our Jeff, not JVG).

http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76389&perpage=30&pagenumber=1

As far as Mobley is concerned, he's a scorer not a shooter and scorers take lots of shots...frequently without much forethought. IMO, JVG has done a decent job of reigning Mobley in. (With an adjustment on Cuttino's part as well).

If the Rockets are in early transition and have a rebounding edge (are at least a rebounder) let it rip. Otherwise, you can get the same shot later in the clock after you've worked the balll inside.

3. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

1. As a team, the Rox have the 3rd best 3pt % in the league...and that is w/ SF3 shooting 29%.

2. During the regular season Cat shot 39% from 3. In the playoffs, he is shooting 20%. He's in a slump. What's the only way to get out of a slump?...keep shooting.

3. Cat rarely takes "clutch" shots. Steve usually has the ball when time is running off the clock. I wish he'd take more though.

All that being said, I agree that Cat should drive the ball more as it has worked...but not to othe detriment of hits outside shots. One reason the drives are there is cause he's a threat from outside.

4. dconover

dconover Contributing Member

Cat is the one ROX that I want to shoot the three. He is money and can hit if from anywhere along the arch where as JJ just likes the corner. Cat has had his best year as a ROX. His defense is getting recognition and he can take almost anyone off of the dribble. I would not trade him or move him.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I was yelling at the TV for all the Rockets to stop shooting 3s in the second half of Game 4 because they obviously weren't falling and we needed our possessions. However, there is no way we can survive without 3s from Mobley going forward. Him and JJ at the 3 point line is a significant part of our offense. Francis does a good job of drawing defenders and kicking it out to them for open looks. And shooting 40% on 3 pointers is more than worthwhile when you won't hit more than 50% inside the arc.

6. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the note. I appreciate the quality take, and the time you and Jeff put into the conversation here.

Here's one of Jeff's notes from the other thread :
    -----------------------
    I am still just dumbfounded that you guys honestly think CD is some all-powerful GM sitting on high and making decisions in a vacuum. EVERY decision he makes regarding players is done with the consent and blessing of, at the very least, the coaching staff, however, he almost always also has the input of scouts, player personnel (i.e. Dennis Lindsey, Keith Jones, etc) and, most importantly, Les Alexander.

CD's primary responsibility is making deals happen and listening to offers. He is not the guy who makes the decisions or is responsible for coming up with all the ideas.

So, if you want to blame the team for poor personnel decisions, blame CD, Rudy, Les, JVG, the entire coaching staff, the scouts and the player personnel staff
    -----------------------

7. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As a follow-up :

Questions -

Is Cuttino a good 3-point threat? Yes, he hits at a good number.

Is that his role on the team? Sometimes. We need the three threat to spread the floor.

Is that his primary skill set ? No. He's a scorer, not a shooter -he's better at getting space and beating his man to a shot than at hitting open looks created by teammates.

Is that what we need? Not if Francis is also breaking guys down; not if Yao is creating space. We need a shooter off those guys. It's surprising to me Cuttino was here at the start of this season. A two-scorer backcourt creates discordant, not complementary play.

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Since becoming a starter, Redd has shot for a lower 3PT% than Cat. How exactly does that help our shooting?

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From ESPN:
    MEANINGFUL MATCHUP: Mobley vs. Bryant. Mobley has made Bryant work for everything and has held the star to 33.8 percent shooting. Still, Bryant is averaging 21 points, won Game Two with a 17-point third quarter and was clutch in overtime Sunday. Mobley needs to provide more offense. He scored 21 points in the Rockets' lone win, but has scored just 35 points on 15-of-43 shooting in the three losses.
    The southpaw is averaging 14 points, has shot only 36.5 percent and connected on 3-of-15 from the arc after shooting 39 percent on 3-pointers during the season.

Cutino<>Vernon Maxwell
    Cutino<>Kenny Smith
    Cutino<>Mario Elie
    Cutino=John Starks Game 6

10. tinman

Supporting Member

I dont mean to politicize this topic,
    but we can quicken the pace of the
    IRAQI RECONSTRUCTION if we send
    Cuttino there to lay bricks.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

True, Maxwell was only a 33% 3-point shooter.

True, besides hitting 3-pointers, Cuttino plays very good defense and can slash to the hole whereas Smith couldn't much besides hit the 3 and run really fast.

Actually, Cuttino seems to me a lot like Elie. A hard-working unheralded player who made his name on the court as a Rocket defending the opponents' best swingman and doing everything the coach asks him to do.
    Starks is much the same, except without as much defense and twice the streakiness.

12. daRox

daRox Member

I expect JVG to give Boki some PT. We'll see some nice 3s from him. This guy can shoot!!!

13. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

The problem with Mobley is not his 3pt shooting, it's the timing of his shooting, be it 3pt, or pull up short jumpers.

Cat is not your typical spot-up shooter like Steve Kerr, he needs to get his timing for the shots. The best way to get that timing is to get some easy baskets by going to the hole. I'd prefer Mobley take the 3s than Steve at this point. All he needs to know is he should pass if there is a better scoring opportunity by his teammates, there is no need to force a shot over two or more defenders.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Well Cutino better start getting his 'timing' correct or else he can show up on MTV Cribs again with the new house he built by playing the Lakers.

Dude, I think Horry would win in a 3point contest against Cutino. He needs to learn his strengths in the playoffs which is driving to the hoop. Aparently clutch 3 point shooting is not part of repetoire sad to say. His misses aren't misses, they are SO off. I have my surround sound system and it sounds like someone is trying to break in my house when he clangs one. They need to replace the rims after his 3-15 shooting from the arch.

As for Maxwell, he was 33% but he dropped them through the net in the PLAYOFFS. And you had this "ROCKETS FEELING" when he hit 2 in a row, that he'd go off.

I can careless what Cutino shoots in the regular season. I've waited 5 years from last time I saw him in the playoffs to do what?? I dont want Cliff Robinson, regular season stud, post season dud.

15. Nautic

Nautic Member

Exactly.

This statement is also true for other 3-pt lovers. Look at the 3-pt shooting of last game by Rox:

JJ: 1-7
    SF: 1-4
    Cat: 2-8

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Ok I hope cutino doesnt fall in love with the 3, I liked the drive to the hoop on the 1st play.

Steve needs to drive by fisher too.

17. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Don't! Stop! ...... Don't. Stop. ...... Don't stop..... shooting those threes!;)

#37 thumbs, Apr 28, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2004
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

drive drive drive!

19. tinman

Supporting Member

TRADE Cutino TRADE TRADE TRADE

20. jelanit

jelanit Contributing Member