1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stop Saying Trading Jefferson was a mistake!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jauquinsux, May 20, 2003.

1. Jauquinsux

Jauquinsux Member

I get sick of everyone saying that Trading the rights of Richard Jefferson for EG was a mistake. We all know that when the Rockets drafted Jefferson we were like what??? Besides, I don't think Jefferson would be better than Eddie is right now If he were with the Rockets. Remember that he's 24 years old and playing with the best point guard in the league. Jason Kidd makes everyone better. Kenyon Martin was looking like a bust until Jkidd came to the rescue. We can't keep using Eddie's age as an excuse for ever, but I just KNOW this kid is going to be awesome. He just needs to be motivated more. He had some great games his rookie season. I wouldnt give up on him just yet. He's 20 PF playing in the Western Conference. All he needs is a mentor. (Pj Brown) and a true Pg. (McInnis) By the time he's 22 he'll be averaging 15,8,2bpg.

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Trading Jefferson and two other picks for EG was a mistake.

Somebody had to do it...

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I think the jury might still be out on this one. Eddie has a little maturing to do yet, but once he gets stronger in the post and gains a little confidence in those flatliners, he'll be fine. Dedication and determination will make "Fast Eddie" go farther. ;)

4. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

I repeat my opinion on this. If Jefferson were not traded away, the Rockets would probably have a better season in 2001-2002. With a better record, we probably won't be able to get Yao Ming. Of course, trading Jefferson is indeed a mistake. However, it brought an outcome that is infinitely better.

A young sub-allstar SF vs a young all-star Center. You pick one!

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

With this kind of logic, why don't we just forfeit the entire 04 season so we can get a better shot at the top pick in the draft next year?

6. ima_drummer2k

I forgot to mention that trading Jefferson was a mistake.

:D

7. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Can you read? I already wrote it was a mistake. I am talking about the outcome, not logic. Can you argue the outcome is better having Jefferson than having Yao?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

How many draft picks did we get in that trade again?

9. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

If we wouldn't have pulled the trigger on that trade, Jefferson would be a worthless, slacker pot head with no motivation playing without any sense of direction.

Do we really want a guy like that in Houston?

10. ima_drummer2k

Whew, I'm glad we didn't make that mistake.

:D

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

jefferson needs jason kidd to be good. he scores mostly on fast breaks or when kidd finds him comming off a pick.

if he were playing for us. we would say he cant create his own shot. and he cant hit the open 3's that our offence gives him.

12. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Please keep in mind that if we were drafting for ourselves and not the Nets, there's a good chance we would not have even drafted Jefferson. We didn't trade Jefferson to the Nets- we traded the rights to our 3 picks and the Nets selected Jefferson, Collins, and Armstrong.

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Exactly, we never drafted Jefferson we only selected him for New Jersey and the same goes for the the other two. They were selected by New Jersey not us! Of couse Griffin would have been much father along if he had been working with Jason Kidd for two years.

14. CrazyJoeDavola

What makes you say this?

#14 CrazyJoeDavola, May 20, 2003
    Last edited: May 20, 2003
  15. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

He's right. This was all pre-determined before the draft because the Rockets were so high on Eddie (no pun intended)

16. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

Question, why is it that when people talk about Jefferson they think he only puts up numbers b/c he has Kidd to feed him the assist?

Obviously you guys dont' have confidence in Francis and Mobley. Then again, I certainly don't blame you!

17. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

I think its the Rockets coaching staff... I think they need to help the players out more and help them improve (just like they did to Kenny Thomas and Othella Harrington).

18. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

It was a mistake.

19. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

And it was illogical for the Spurs to tank the season before Duncan was drafted. I bet they regret they did that.

20. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Just looking at the demeanor of the players makes me believe that RJ would have had more of a positive impact. The guy always has a smile and that seems to be infectious. Eddie looks like he's miserable out there.