1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stop proposing scenarios where we deal Sixgun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 31, 2022.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

All rookies need time, period. Doesn’t matter at all how NBA ready ppl think they are, they need time. The ones that don’t are either already capped or are a rare exception. To ever assume one doesn’t need time is dumb as ****.

saleem and Zen Tabak like this.
  2. xaos

xaos Member

Still doesn't change my response. If you want to use some "NBA ready" criteria to judge his first season then go ahead. There's a lot of adjustments a player needs to make going to the NBA both physically and mentally.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

That applies to Sengun as well right? Which the tread title was saying about holding horses before trading Sengun.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

NBA readiness really only comes into play for teams ready to compete now or if there is “Lebron” type in the draft. Barnes really contributed a great deal to Toronto being competitive playoff team. I can see Jabari have an immediate impact this year. With the Rockets and if we aren’t tanking, I think he would help us compete for the play-in. For us, Banchero and Ivey are horrible fits, so if either is the draft pick we play them 30 mins a game and tank another year.

It’s crazy to me that Orlando isn’t looking to be competitive sooner rather than later. Orlando should be drafting “NBA ready” guys and Paola is a perfect fit for them, but who knows they suck as an organization. OKC I think is all in for Victor next year and will try and use their treasure trove of assets to do whatever they can to get him. No free agent will go there. Do you blame them, Oklahoma is a sh**hole.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  5. xaos

xaos Member

I don't want to assume anything and I'm not trying to be rude but what is the point you're trying to make

Zen Tabak likes this.
  6. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nobody really wants to trade Sengun but creating a thread advocating for him to be an "untouchable" is just silly. Banchero, Ivey, or whoever the team drafts will have ramifications for the roster, don't get too attached to anyone.

Yung-T likes this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

6gun will be able to co-exist with Pao. Pao can guard centers and guards. He's 6'10 18 years old, might grow to 7 feet

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

yea SenGoat isn't going anywhere.

Plowman and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Wood needs to go. Sengun and Garuba can play at the 5 and Banchero at the 4 spot. If Sengun continues to improve his jump shot, then Paolo will have room to operate near the basket. Paolo 's range will improve too.

charlieaustin and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. TimDuncanDonaut

Rockets getting rid of Sengun for Paolo, in the next two years, because too soon to tell for young prospects.

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I have also said the same about Sengun. In fact he is a big part of why I want Jabari. That said, giving a rookie time is not the same thing as labeling them untouchable.

xaos likes this.
  12. xaos

xaos Member

If I were to put my GM hat on I'd go with keeping both for this year to gain more information unless if a deal blows you away. No way Stone is treating Banchero or Sengun as untouchable. He likely has a ranking of the two players, but he's not being forced into any decisions right now. He will have to assess their fit and their future role as the season goes on. Hell he might decide neither are worth "building around"

Really really really not sure what being NBA ready has to do with it though. An NBA players first offseason is really key for their careers and how a GM may or may not see their future. It's their first opportunity to take what they need to work on most and show that they can improve. Early on in an NBA players career there should be less emphasis on certain things that clutchfans overestimates. Ex: early last year people were freaking out that Green couldn't finish at the rim... completely ignoring the fact that he was blowing by his guys getting to the rim. Getting to the rim is an ELITE NBA skill. You could project how Green's ability to finish at the rim could change as he gets experience and adds strength, but there was a segment of clutchfans too stupid to use his rim % as some career defining number.

Stone might be asking himself: "what elite skill does Sengun/banchero have?" "Can we build around that?" "What are his weaknesses?" "Can we work around that?"

Stone has the task of picking the best players then building around them. That requires what qualities he wants his top players to have, fit around them, etc.

#92 xaos, Jun 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    mikenm268, saleem and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. TimDuncanDonaut

NBA ready just means immediate contribution. Even if curbed for a rookie. Not an indictment on their floor / ceilings, but if they can help the team meaningful (like Cade/Green/Barnes/Mobley for their respective team) in their rookie year. This draft's top ten players has two projected to do so: Paolo and Keegan.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s 19, 3 months younger than Sengun

15. xaos

xaos Member

Agree with that...

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If impact on a bad team that needs volume scoring, sure those 2 are probably it. Though, good teams (or even those delusional about making playoffs with less than good teams) likely already have creators/bucket getters, and probably value someone like Jabari more/or as much in the short term.

#96 Joe Joe, Jun 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  17. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You do realize that Duke's roster was stacked, right? You also understand that percentages typically go down with volume? Michael Jordan's freshman year he was 3rd in scoring and 3rd in TS% among the Tarheel's 5 starters. Would you have assumed that he wouldn't be good in the pros just because he played on a talented team?

What's his position in the pros? He's a PF but he can also give you minutes at the 3 and 5. His position in the pros is much more certain than either Smith or Chet. Is Smith a PF or SF? Is Chet a Center, PF or SF?

So, am I correct to then assume that you consider Sengun as inefficient since he had an even lower TS%?

Many players actually post better stats in the pros because they have more room to operate and they are playing under rules that favor offensive players. Look at Tatum. His TS% is better in the NBA. Assists are higher. Better Ast/To ratio. Jordan never posted a 60% TS% in college.

As I said before, I'm not really a Paolo guy but scouts generally agree that he's the safest pick in the draft. Personally, I'd rather have Chet but that's due to his massive potential upside and what he could do for our defense. Whoever you get in the top 3 is likely going to be really good. Holgren has a huge ceiling and Smith likely plugs more of the Rockets holes than Bonchero.

18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Do you believe that the average college TS% last year was above 55.7% ?

There were 358 D1 teams and only 56 of them shot 55.7% TS% or better for the season.

Yes, Sengun played against NBA players and he was on a bad team. He also came off the bench for most of the season. So, he's playing against backups for a large portion of his minutes, and he's in lots of games that aren't competitive (i.e. extended garbage time).

19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I just can't believe the Lakers are this dillusional. This has to be coming from Phil Jackson or Magic or some other dinosaur.

Since Kobe/Pau they were really only good once because the best player of the last 20 yrs decided he wanted his kids to go to school in LA and his buddy forced an all star to LA.

They've made no good decisions on their own since trading for Pau.

xaos and kjayp like this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean considering who the source is, it's entirely plausible it's just bs and throwing some darts.