1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stop Childhood Obesity Ads

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Damion Laverne, Jan 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Damion Laverne

2. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

i thought this was a call to stop the ads.

nevermind.

1 person likes this.
  3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

i dunno, i see both sides of the coin. obese children = sticky issue.

i do like the slogan "stop sugar-coating it, georgia!" clevarrr.

4. droxford

droxford Member

I think parents get crappier and crappier each year.

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

How could I have known McDonald's 6 nights a week would make my kid into a planet with his own gravitational pull!? It's somebody else's fault I know it!

6. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I think that fat-ass little kid is so damned cute!!! Sending this to my girlfriend!!! Zomgz!

7. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Obviously, we should make a law that restricts the amount of calories people can eat every day. It should also create a new federal agency to police this by establishing quotas on fast food supplies to increase the price of fast-food. Anybody who violates these edicts should be made an example of!

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Black or White?

I think it's sad we've gotten to this point, but there are no easy fixes.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Education. That's all we can do.

It is a sad state that we advertisers target kids the way we do. But the only way to effectively combat it is by educating the parents. These ad campaigns are a good start

10. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Parents too scared to whip they kids asses is the problem...Crying for an extra slab of ribs is out of the question for a toddler...

11. Classic

Classic Member

Agreed. Nutrition and the processes by which our food supply undergo in the supply chain process are a very misunderstood topic for 98% of the people out there. Knowing full well the subject, I can tell you that the FDA is failing as a consumer protection agency in the interests of big pharm.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

These agencies are hog tied as massive amounts of money are combating them from business.

Ignorance is the greatest threat to American democracy and prosperity.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Turn off the Alex Jones and back away from the keyboard.

14. Mr. Clutch

Nothing wrong with ribs.

It's all the junk food, soft drinks, and pre-packaged crap people are eating.

15. Mr. Clutch

Big pharm?

The food industry actually responded to government guidelines and started offering a lot of low- fat foods. The problem is the guidelines are mostly crap, imo. I don't think food with fat is necessarily bad.

16. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

start by taking the crap food out of schools. The soft drink companies own the fruit juice companies anyways, so insist they stock with those rather then the sugar bombs.

Other then that...fitness programs -- get the kids active, and campaigns like this one -- but show 'em how to eat healthier, instead of only nagging that they don't . Try to inspire the kids. They're the smart ones. (true of most generations ;)).

It's about all you can do.

17. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Alex Jones is a communist!!!1!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. Kamaqazi21

Kamaqazi21 Member

I work with obese children on an everyday basis at the BCM children's nutrition research center. We conduct physical activity interventions with 6th and 7th graders that are in a variety of weight ranges (most are overweight or obese). We also educate the children and their parents about making healthier food choices and increasing physical activity. Some parents realize that their children are unhealthy and really try to push healthier habits in their homes. On the other hand some parents dont really care, they are very confrontational and think their kids are healthy and can eat whatever they want. These are the kids that will face numerous health problems in the future, it is really sad to see that some people just dont see it. I think nutritional education is really important, but even education doesnt work because ppl fail to accept the underlying issue with themselves and their children. Sadly its more so linked with the lower socioeconomic status of the family which in general is linked to lower educational levels in the parents. Its a tough road for overweight or obese kids in these families. The ads are great in my opinion, i think it should be a national ad.

19. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I agree, but we should go one step further, and force this nationwide. We need to have mandatory fitness programs, and we need to eliminate needless sugars from kid's diets. Better yet, just make soft-drinks and concentrated fruit drinks illegal!

20. bmb4516

bmb4516 Member

America is fat because we are free. I'd hate to get thin at the cost of our freedom.