1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stone/Silas Press Conference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 18, 2021.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

It all depends on if you know what your doing or not. If you look at the top 4 players resulting from every draft, it's a home run. I like those odds. In the last twenty years the only time a top 4 guy sucked was Bogut, Deng, Lee, Noah, and Battier. That's out of 80 players. Almost everyone else is an All Star. So if you trust the GM it's almost a guarantee we get all star quality. GM's screw up. But the talent pool is always favorable to the teams with a top 4 pick than if you did not.

If you look at just the top player resulting from every draft in the last 20 years, the only disappointments would be Lowry, Kenyon, and Simmons. And they aren't chopped liver. The rest of them are almost all locks for the HOF.

As an example, the Rockets have rarely missed in the top 4. Hayes, Tomjanovich, Lucas, Sampson, Olajuwon, McCray, and Yao. So really only McCray and Lucas wasn't really All Star quality. And 5 HOF in the bunch. So 5 out of 7 in the HOF in the top 4 picks, well shiver me timber. Like those odds.

#81 PhiSlammaJamma, May 19, 2021
    Last edited: May 19, 2021
    DonatelloLimestone and saleem like this.
  2. bmelo

bmelo Member

Stone can't even lie lol yeah for sure John Wall is fired up as hell going around with teenagers and looking at how his league-friends are fighting in playoffs

3. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

ben dubose had an excellent question - but the answer fell short a bit - would like to hear more about this from stone and silas.

D-rock likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think the Detroit pick will eventually convey ..... Here's the protections:
    Houston Rockets - Future Draft Picks | TradeNBA
    The Washington pick starts in 2023 , it would have conveyed this year if it were due with the Wizards finishing in the 8 spot. (I don't know if the play in changes that)

D-rock and DonatelloLimestone like this.
  5. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Am I missing something here? A lot of top 4 picks sucked.

6. Rockets4Life13

Dragan Bender, Tristan Thompson, Cody Zeller, Dion Waiters, Wesley Johnson etc etc.. and that's just #4 Picks of the last 10 years.

saleem and ashleyem like this.
  7. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I dont know. I'm a bit worried about that pick. That franchise looks completely lost right now. Like Timberwolves/Sacramento lost. Last 2 first round picks are super young, but really not contributing at all. They are at least 2 years away from competing for playoffs in even the East, and that is probably be optimistic. If it conveys, it will be more like 2025-26.

So I think of this is more of a trade asset, to get a targeted role player or part of a package to move up in a draft before then.

So the play in does not affect the positioning. I want the Wizards to beat the Pacers now and at least take 1 game from the 76ers. Anything to keep Beal happy in Washington for 2 more years, and trick that franchise to add pieces rather than gun for lottery.

saleem likes this.
  8. PhiSlammaJamma

top 4 players, not the top 4 picks. It about making the right pick in a draft. The pool of players always has at least 4 picks who become perennial All Stars. So it's on us to screw it up or make it. The rockets picked 5 HOF out of 7 in the past to prove the point. It's not luck were we are at. It's a skill.

#88 PhiSlammaJamma, May 19, 2021
    Last edited: May 19, 2021
    D-rock, DonatelloLimestone and saleem like this.
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This draft is deep. There is a good chance that all of the top 4 picks will be successful.

D-rock likes this.
  10. TimDuncanDonaut

One can be honest while being diplomatic and say things with measure. Over rosey picture or pretending the elephant isn't in the room does no one any favors.

D-rock likes this.
  11. PhiSlammaJamma

Stone balls: The Art of Losing is a book by Dr. Seuss, published in 2022, about the Houston Rockets basketball team. Its focus is the team's analytical, evidence-based, systsematic approach to assembling the least competitive basketball team despite being run by the Cat in the Hat. A film based on the book, starring Otis Thorpe was released in 2023.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Man, how many times are they gonna bring up injuries as an excuse fir the worst season in franchise justory

B-Bob, bmelo and D-rock like this.
  13. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

14. hakeemthagreat

60% of this board blames Stone, including the idiot below my post you replied to. What planet are you on?

15. hakeemthagreat

As many times as they should. Golden State had a injury plagued season last year and ended up with a horrible regular season record. This with a HOF coach lol. That answer your question?

16. DonatelloLimestone

where'd you get that number? I'm seeing more of 80 percent blame tilman and realize Stone is a rookie GM when Morey who had more clout spent 3 years learning cost cutting gymnastics where a majority of our moves were saving money often detrimental to the basketball side with no benefit to our flexiblity to him or the fans even, just money in the pocket for one man. And we expect stone a first time gm to come in and supersede the villain from space jam? cmon

"Tilman Fertitta on the coaching search: "It begins and end with the general manager. That's why you have a basketball operations team. They'll make a recommendation to me. I'm the sign off guys. I wouldn't know how to interview a basketball coach."

"“You’ve finally said the most important thing you could say and that was, ‘We’re going to take responsibility,’” Fertitta says, before discussing a deal with Social. “You need to find a little humility if you want to be successful in business. I’m still apologizing to customers every single day.”

also Tilman

"My basketball ops [operations] got maybe a little weak at the end, and I just said, ‘We’re doing this. We are going to make the change. We’re going to go after it and roll the dice. We’re going to find that 5"

-you'll find a little something for everyone with this guy, he is always selling to anyone still willing to buy the oil. resilient little tyke

D-rock likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

You're arguing with a bonehead.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tillman talks out of his ass all the damn time and his believers just eat it up with a spoon no matter if consistent contradictions to outright lies.

19. hakeemthagreat

Ben Simmons is the 3rd best player on Sixers (behind Tobias Harris) and you're the guy that wanted him for James Harden?

20. rockets13champs

I feel like the wizards will be rebuilding in 2023. But they have some young talent and play in the East. So between 2023-2026 they could sneak into the playoffs although it’s tough. Have to hope Beal wants to stay another 2 years which with today’s nba media probably won’t happen.

as for the Pistons. If they win the lottery it’s probably a guarantee we get their pick within the next 2-3 years.