1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stone outflanked the Spurs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Jun 27, 2024 at 8:25 AM.

1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Well... when it comes to Sengun the homerism is off the charts in this forum. I know this... we gotta protect that rim consistently this upcoming season to have a shot at having a season after the season.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We were 10th in defense without Tari and Amen only getting significant minutes for 30 games. Aaron holiday was getting significant minutes. The constant harking on rim protectors makes no sense. Not to mention the addition of Steven Adams to our second unit.

3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Wemb real issue is his health, his feet and knees have been broken before. His career I believe is going to be short. Less than 10 years. He said he doesn't want to add weight, after being bullied by Alperen Sengun he has no choice.

Jontro and pippendagimp like this.
  4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Wemby’s defense last year was overrated. Blocks do not make a complete defensive player. He will always be bullied inside one on one against stronger centers. He has to have a good outside shot to become a true all-star and not a media created one. He has to be able to play outside to become a superstar, because his frame will not allow him to beef up enough to play in the paint consistently. It is a double-edged sword if he beefs up he will be oft-injured, if he doesn’t he has to become another Durant. He has the handles to be Durant, but it is very iffy if he will be a knock down shooter like Durant. I ain’t skeered of the Spurs. They should have kept the 8th pick and drafted Edey and let Wemby play PF permanently.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

League is pretty positionless, he is a Center but in these modern times he doesn't have to guard Centers all the while.

All he has to do is be an efficient weak side shot blocker.

Rival fans always want this or that for players but usually you only need couple elite skills to do well in this league.

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree with you. I was just describing what he needs to be the superstar so many on this board are frightened of. As long as he is healthy he will be a very good player, but not the superstar everybody is already crowning him as.

roslolian likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cool.
    Boston and Dallas proved you don't need a great Center to win chips.
    OKC is on their way and Joker is not traditional either.

I don't think you realize as a rival fan how fearful players are of Wemby minus perhaps a handful players including Alpe.

That is exactly why he would be dominating, dude is 19 and plays like a 23 yr old already, sky is the limit.

Dominating as in doing KD stuff as u mentioned plus he will be a skinny Bill Russell on Defense.

Is he as good as Jordan or LBJ, Kareem?

Probably not but I think he has the tools to crack Top 12 of Alltime if he stays healthy and continues to get better. That unique.

Hell, I consider Dirk Top 15 historically.

8. MystikArkitect

Wemby is a chucker and Alpy isn't. I mean...if Alpy played with the green light Wemby does he'd score more points. It's why the Spurs won 20 games and the Rockets won 41. Also Alpy is "only better at passing" is just an LOL statement. Who cares about passing amirite? That's not part of offense.

No, Wemby isn't a better offensive player than Sengun today just because the Spurs let him shoot whenever then **** he wants. He can't score efficiently unless it's a putback at the rim. Go look at his shot chart. He can't shoot from outside, he has no post moves and he's a bad passer. He also gets the ball stolen a lot.

Wemby on offense is just bootleg Durant.

HD729 and roslolian like this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Exactly. People just overrate Wemby keep saying he is already a top 20 player but no top 20 player will play on a 20 win team.

10. MystikArkitect

Like...it's OK to admit Wemby has the tools to be an All Time great. It's also OK to admit that he is a much worse offensive player than people would have you believe. People doubt almost every player that comes into the league with Wemby's efficiency, shooting percentages and shot chart....except for Wemby.

roslolian likes this.
  11. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Its crazy how much Stone’s last couple of years has mirrored Nick Caserio’s.

Jontro and conquistador#11 like this.
  12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I like the CP3 move for SA. Quality addition at a position they need help at. Obviously not a long term play but that’s a veteran presence that helps.

Jontro and StoneBall like this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its the same logic Stone had for getting FVV, Brooks and Jeff Green.

Isnt it crazy how the Spurs are just copying the Rockets? They're doing a worse job though lol. FVV still a decent player Cliff Paul is washed and just wants the money.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I mean he only had elite box score stats leading the league in steals and blocks and elite advanced stats and jaw dropping highlights/eye test and nearly - (should have) taken DPOY over - Rudy LOLbert, last seen, uh, inspiring Luka to greatness -

......but folks here's random internet guy who going to explain why he was not even really very good on defense!

He's calling in from non-evacuated Katy on a mobile, let's listen closely!

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Facts. Also a fact, Houston Alperen wiped dem balls on your boi Wemby... :D:D:D

#115 RudyTBag, Jun 30, 2024 at 10:00 PM
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2024 at 11:48 PM
    roslolian likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Crazy how for all of that Spurs had the same record the previous year with the same roster minus Jakob Poetl. You don't need a random internet guy to see that.

Poetl is so underrated he should be a perennial all star by now carrying an arguably worse/younger tea to the same record as Wemby.

17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Why can't Wemb just add a Sky Hook. So simple, easy 2 points, unguardable shot.
    Every time I look at him shooting outside . He looks disadvantage, get those easy 2 points on hook shots at least. Or the Tim Duncan off the glass 2 points shot.