1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stone or Morey?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 10, 2021.

?

Stone or Morey?

1. Morey

2. Stone

3. Both are great. Daryl is a wizard and Stone is the right guy to rebuild this franchise

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Morey's not bad. He's just really good at achieving personal goals to try to make a point versus overall team goals. Like winning 65 games is nice but it means nothing if you don't close the deal. Also things like finally landing Harden but forgot about the part where other superstars have to want to play with Harden.

NewAge, hakeem94 and Salvy like this.
  2. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Too early to tell for Stone. On paper, he's done a good job reloading the roster with youth and re-energizing the franchise and fanbase. More personable and relatable to players, which seemed to be something Morey lacked. I'm excited to see how it all unfolds.

Morey - Never had a losing season. 9 years in the playoffs with some deep runs. Became one of the most respected/hated and recognizable GMs in the league. Imagine if the Texans had a GM with that resume..he'd be a Houston legend.

I will say Morey's success and hit rate tapered off in the later years, when things really needed to come together. Unfortunately the end was kinda messy, and thats gonna leave a lasting impression.

If your criteria is championships, both GMs are the same :)

Easy likes this.
  3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Way too early. Morey pulled off some great moves. Rockets should have had two championships during his era (2009 and 2018) were it not for injuries. Stone is off to a great start but he was also allowed to rebuild. Morey was told to reload versus rebuild and he did that the best any GM could with just a couple of mediocre years then boom the Harden era.

#103 Scarface281, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    snowconeman22 and Plowman like this.
  4. bmelo

bmelo Member

I had it Morey is average GM that lucked on Harden(he said himself they didnt think he will be this good). Once every franchise caught up with excel and basic math that people without school think is some genius shot he went on to be below average. He notorioisly bet on fragile players to build championship team, each time went early in the playoffs due to injuries and somehow everytime people like you said its bad luck. Lol No **** 35 year old glass made CP made to play 40 min a game got injuried… No **** 7’5 Yao got injuried… No **** Tmac with scoliosa after injuring his back got reinjured after playing through stuff.

This isnt bad luck its bad decisions

5. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I respect your opinion but have to disagree with you on DM.
    DM IMO would not have done as great of a job as Stone has done in a rebuild. I think DM’s weakness is identifying talent. We saw it year after year in his draft selections.
    DM drafted for Houston from 2007-2019 bc 2020 was the year he decided to “spend time with family”.
    The players DM has drafted since 2007 are as followed:
    Brooks
    Newly
    Batum (Traded)
    Leunan
    Patterson
    Morris
    Miroctic (Traded)
    Parsons
    Lamb
    White
    Jones
    Canaan
    Capela
    Nick Johnson
    Dekker
    Harrell
    Qi
    Onuaku
    Dillon Brooks (Traded)
    Isaiah Hartestein
    Melton

Stone had no draft picks in 2020 but picked up the following:
    Tate
    KJ
    KPJ
    Brooks

2021:
    Jalen Green (DM would’ve drafted an undersized player like Usman)
    Alperen Sengun
    Usman Garuba
    Josh Christopher

Stone was the brains behind the whole operation and he’s shown it.

Salvy likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Odd time to be praising Rosas

D-rock likes this.
  8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’m a big Morey fan and think he did great work here. No idea if Stone is that level but I’m glad he has the keys to the rebuild.

D-rock likes this.
  9. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

Stone man. Morey is a relic.

Ramo$e likes this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lets see, we got

The guy who traded CP3 + picks for WB

The weird nerd guy who got cucked in Philly (not Morey, yet)

The assistant fcker

The GM of the longest playoff drought team in the league

The Assistant fckers' replacement

The VP of a team that hasn't been shet since Drose was MVP

The guy who traded for franchise guy John Wall, and his assistant
    [​IMG]

Tree ain't lookin so hot rn

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. csc177

csc177 Member

Still early, but Harden made Morey's career as a GM and almost won him a chip if not for a CP hamstring...the deal to acquire JH will forever go down in history for both franchises (OKC and HOU). Without Harden, Morey is not even in the conversation IMO.

Stone inherited a sht show..... if he even makes this team a playoff contender, he's a success. My vote is Stone (although I'm well aware that this could all hit the fan, J Green could be a bust and those draft picks may never convey)

Salvy and Ramo$e like this.
  12. Salvy

Salvy Member

Good thing is its highly unlikely Green is a bust, even if he never reaches super star status he has so many offensive skills that are already NBA elite lvl. Stone has not just brought in talent, he has found a way to mesh everything perfectly. The group is young and appear to love being around each other. They are growing together with good personnel around them. Yes, the Rockets have completely changed from just a year ago. And while with that change The Rockets are no longer contenders as of yet, the org as a whole has taken so many steps forward. They are likeable, well managed, no gimmick coaches and no GM's living off one move that carries a very bad reputation with players. No drama queens forcing their way out.

The Rockets are fresh, new and exciting. Would not be surprised if they become a desirable location for future stars. Stone is getting it done....

csc177 likes this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

Nook and rhee like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Protege and the Wizard.

Plowman likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Stone can't even lick the sweat off Morey's balls.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Patience Grasshoppers

Rocket River

17. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I think Morey was great. But I also think that he was at his best when he was way ahead of the whole league. My sense is that the rest of the league has caught up with him. They all take analytics heavy approaches to examining personnel, lineups, assigning value to players, etc.

Look at the Sixers with him right now. He made a shrewd move by trading for Curry. But aside from that, he's had hits and misses. Good draft pick with Maxey, but this Simmons deal is going to define his career, and it looks to me like he's blowing it. Simmons sitting out half the season has lowered his value, not raised it, and if he doesn't trade him by the deadline (he probably will), he's going to waste another year off Embiid's prime and risk devaluing Simmons even further as it looks like he's willing to sit the season away. Along the way, he has fractured his relationship with arguably the most important sports agency in the league (Klutch sports) and frustrated teams, some of which quit dealing with him because of his reportedly outrageous asking price.

I am glad we had Morey. But part of me is glad we don't have him right now and have an FO that has a much better reputation of doing right by players.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Who would Morey have picked with pick #2? He’s already made a few picks in Phillly. Maxey looks like a hit. Makes me wonder what he would have done here knowing the metrics, 3&D fascination and modern game theory he employs.

Plowman and D-rock like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think you are right about Morey, Stone however, is not necessarily a new chapter.

He was the lawyer muscle behind Morey the whole time.
    He isn't Morey as he got a totally different personality, I do not see a vastly different GM behind the wall though.

20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Not sure yet but I know Morey sucked at drafting so odds of Stone being better at him in the draft isn't exactly a high bar.