1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stone is wrong

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Salvy

Salvy Member

[​IMG]

slothy420 likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think

Nwaba > Brown

but

Olynyk > Thies

Kelly wasn't a bad defender, he's actually a better rebounder, and his offense was amazing.

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Stone has a vision, let it play out. We are a couple of pieces away from an above average defense.

hakeem94, Stephen_A and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. pass_to_Hakeem

…….. nah

5. Salvy

Salvy Member

No place for Brown with Josh Christopher/Green.. No place for Olynyk with Usman and Sengun.... Nwaba won't want more minutes and Theis is cheaper than Olynyk.... Are we seriously having this thread over Olynyk and Theis lol...

Williamson, jcmoon, hakeem94 and 5 others like this.
  6. pass_to_Hakeem

Olynyk offense > Theis
    Olynyk defense < Theis

Corrosion and Stephen_A like this.
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Shut the hell up

8. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

Nothing against Brown and I like the guy, but I would also assume Rockets FO wanted Brown away from KPJ given that whole stripclub incident... Nwaba has always been the more mature player on and off the court.

Rockets just need vets that can provide a positive influence for the next few years until the kids grow up. Shouldn't really be worrying about maxing out wins this season and next.

9. fckbandwagons

fckbandwagons Member

Trash thread

weopeo9744, HTownTmac1 and 34to11 like this.
  10. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

I love this. These are terrible signings. Big middle finger to OKC. Rox want to keep those picks. They're trying to do The Process the right way. Hire good, hardworking guys who are mediocre. Build a culture, play hard, and lose, lose, lose. And be quiet about it. Heinke's ****up was talking so much. Fertitta may be the worst owner since Donald Sterling (he's basically Broke Dolan) but Stone is showing me something here.

Maybe the only advantage that we have in Fertitta is that the cheap MF is cool with losing as long as it doesn't cost him too much. Alexander suffered from a desire to win games.

11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

We needed defense. I really liked Brown I think he will be something someday. Kelly didnt play good enough defense and rebound good enough to be put next to Wood.

12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

olynk & wood front court didn’t work. It was soft. With green in the mix there needs to be more balance in terms of paint defense and rebounding instead of scoring and theis can provide this. Size may be an issue though against those 7 ft bigs (gobert, embid). Not sure why Rockets always opt for undersized or short players since clint departed. Interesting school of thought.

hakeem94 and Joe Rocket like this.
  13. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Why do people act like free agents have no individual will and just accept the offers that are handed out to them? This might not have been Stone's choice at all. Kelly ultimately got to pick where he wanted to go. (I love how I'm suddenly defending Stone and bashing Tilman simultaneously lol)

#33 lakersuck2, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    hakeem94, Joe Rocket and 34to11 like this.
  14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

why are we even trying to sign good players? unless we signed Kawhi we're not making the playoffs, or play in game, so Olynyk, thies and everyone else is just messing up our draft pick for next year. they should be looking to add older vets to come in and mentor the young guys. not guys in their prime trying to win a few more games and move us from a top 5 pick to a top 10 pick.

peleincubus likes this.
  15. 34to11

34to11 Member

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Nwaba is just a lot better than Brown and is our best defender when none of our guards know how to play defense.

Olynyk is better than Theis. But Olynyk is redundant with Sengun, the guy we tried to trade up to 6 for. We are investing in our youth, and Theis defense fits better and will be more helpful for our young big and guards.

Swapping Olynyk for Thesis costs us a win or two, utterly meaningless at this stage of the rebuild. Thesis and Nwaba both are low usage high defense veterans that are perfect for making our youth look better, not get in their way, and plug in for their weaknesses. If we can get something for Olynyk in a sign and trade that would be the cherry on top.

j@amc, jcmoon, Corrosion and 3 others like this.
  17. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I mean if your friend said it then for sure ignore the rockets scouting department.

34to11 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

But it feels so right.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Good post. Not.

20. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

Stone picked guys that don’t need touches…brown and olynyk >nwaba and theis (arguable)talent wise yes, but not as a fit for a team with lots of young guys that need looks on offense

I’ll take the two guys we signed as vet leadership

I love Kelly o, and he would help the young guys grow, but we’d be feeding him on offense more than theis needs…nwaba over brown? I like it cause I love nwabas tenacity

What I love is that both theis and nwaba are guys that never take plays off and work hard (nothing against olynyk and brown) but the two we signed are just known as hard workers…