1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stone is wrong

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Aug 2, 2021.

1. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

saleem and D-rock like this.
  2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Kelly had his chance last season to make a difference for the team and didn't, I don't think that's a fair argument for many reasons.

KO only played 27 games. That's less than 1/3rd of a season, so that point is really only 1/3rd valid. When the Rockets traded for him they were the worst team in the league and were in full tank mode. They were actually historically bad. The season had already been lost and the OKC lottery implications greatly exacerbated the situation The team was absolutely not trying to win games, and even if they were, you can't zero in on KO as the reason.

KO is solid vet who has been in the league for almost 10 seasons, and in those 27 games played significantly better than he had with any other team. Craig and Bullard drove this point home almost every game, that KO fits this team perfectly. I don't think KO was a difference maker with Heat the season before he came to Houston, and I don't think he is a difference maker now with the Pistons. His play with the Rockets could have made a difference if the FO's goal wasn't to lose more than any other team.

You have posted in the past your support for Wood, because he is true stretch 4/5 that checks certain boxes as far as scoring, rebounding and shooting%. KO played only 31 minutes a game for the Rockets last year, but still averaged almost 19/9 off 55% from the field, and 39.2% from 3, and 85% from the free throw line. I assume there is a very short list of players that were able to put up that split last season. On paper, that's about par with what Yao averaged, with a much better 3 point %.

Yes, I think if the Rockets had an ELITE shooting stretch 4/5, that we could have 17 or 18 wins instead of the 14 we have today. The Rockets also take more free throws than any other team, so adding a 85% free throw shooter would be pretty significant. These are the subtle things that help a team creep up to being only the 8th worst team in the league, and not the 3rd. I know being the 8th best team isn't the goal or something to hang your hat on, the context I was using it in earlier relates to draft position. Having the 3rd pick vs the 8th pick can take years off a rebuild, like the Cavs and Magic have shown us.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Gotta get rid of Stone if he doesn’t improve the team via trade.

Passing on Allen
    Getting nothing for Dipo
    Passing on Mobley for Green
    He’s also oddly insecure.

He needs to come through at the trade deadline. I don’t like him.

theDude, D-rock and CXbby like this.
  5. fattz

fattz Member

Silas didn’t defend Green at all; that void speaks to what he truly thinks of Green not only as a player but person, too.

D-rock likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

So the point of signing Theis instead of Olynyk was because the Rockets wanted to tank?

Why even sign Theis to that long deal then, they could have just as easily tanked with a rook or a cheap 2 way player on 1 year deal.

Your rationale makes zero sense.

Tilly is not paying millions to anyone for them to sit on the bench on purpose or worse, purposefully lose the team games.

aaquaa, YOLO and NewAge like this.
  7. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I was a little bewildered by Theis's contract, but it is cheaper than KO's and aligns perfectly with our rebuilding years, so it doesn't really matter how he performs. Ideally though he performs well and builds his value. Rockets FO may have some data that lead them to believe that he could outplay his contract. Just because you don't plan on competing for a title, doesn't mean you stop trying to find value. This so far has been Stone's best strength, is finding value in undervalued players.

Also, if neither KO or DT are part of our long term future, then for the losing seasons, maybe they preferred someone to not take shots from the young kids. We have Silas who is more of an offense minded coach, and we drafted probably 2 of the most all offense/no defense players in the draft. With Green and Senguin coming in, Rockets didn't want to take shots away from them, which KO would do at a much higher rate than Theis.

And yes, TIlman is paying 45 million dollars for someone to sit on the bench this year.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yeah, not buying that timeline argument for Theis contract.

Theis was signed specifically to start alongside Wood. This was not a Tank signing at all.

It was just a poor player evaluation, bad contract, horrid system fit.

Silas is coaching for his rep and his job, there is no way that 1st time HC is purposefully tanking.

And if you think Tilly is happy to pay a player 45M to sit, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Stone screwed up with the Theis signing, period.

YOLO, ilias and ashleyem like this.
  9. fattz

fattz Member

Stone will untie the knots he gotten into at the trade deadline. It may cost a little capital but it’s all part of the process. Enjoy what is.
    Go Rockets!

10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The stupidity and ineptitude surrounding the Rockets & gawd the Texans is amazing. It never stops, thank the lord for the Astros.

D-rock likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Stone did **** up by not signing Olynyk and signing Theis......Kelly is a way better overall player and is so smart at the game of basketball he would have been a better mentor.

DD

D-rock likes this.
  12. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

The timeline part was not an argument, just an observation. Nothing to buy. I agree it wasn't a tank signing, I had already mentioned that I was confused by it and thought maybe the Rockets knew something I didn't. Most importantly, I think if Theis performs the way the Rockets had hoped, then allow the youth to develop far more thank KO. Ultimately, Theis was cheaper than KO, and Tilman is a cheapskate. Maybe it's as simple as that. Tilman went generic shopping and got burned.

I really don't think Silas is coaching for his job quite yet. Sure there were rumors of him getting canned earlier, but that was when we were on like a 5 win pace for the season. I think Tilman is fine getting a top pick, but has a problem with being the worst team in history by a significant margin.

My original post was about how KO could have added a few wins this season, and it has evolved into a Theis conversation. I don't have any answers as to why Theis was given that contract, just guesses.

D-rock likes this.