1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STONE is still the HEDGE HONCHO. Why a FEW MAJOR HITS greatly TRUMPS MANY MISTAKES.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Mar 7, 2024.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

Still hedging? :eek:

When is it Patrick's time? :cool:

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you like both Stone AND Tilman? Are you sure you’re a HOUSTON Rockets fan?

Oh, I see you’re a Pinoy boy from the Phillipines. Explains a lot.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  3. cml750

cml750 Member

I have mixed emotions when it comes to Stone. The way he went all in on KPJ was a head scratcher. Jalen Green is a bust but I understand the gamble. The Jabari pick was okay given he was the only real choice after the better two guys went ahead of him. Amen is looking really good so far and will be a beast if he ever develops a shot. He has missed on late first round picks but he has hit home runs with his mid first round picks Tari and Cam. His biggest success, a grand slam home run, was the Alpi pick That being said it is really puzzling that it appears even to this day he may still not fully realize what he has in Sengun which calls into question his ability to judge true talent. As for the future, we still have what looks to be a lottery pick from the Nets this year and plenty more coming in the future that could be lottery level counting the swaps. Take away the KPJ disaster and Jalen being a dud and it would seem he has done an amazing job that will be even better once he finally realizes he drafted a future MVP level talent in Alpi.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There are several ways to view a GM's work and I might have shunned my eyes from breaking down every move he made.....

At the end of the day the overall picture counts.

For me it is getting to the Finals.....not sure what it is for other posters here.

Personally it is much harder to pull an OKC heist for young Harden than doing a proper rebuild with multiple higher lottery picks......

Same could be said about Morey that the Harden trade absolved him of many questionable asset movements he made.

5. PWR

PWR Member

The Stone Era
    (86 wins - 212 losses as of 3/7/24)

Busts:
    Stephen Silas (Hire)
    Kevin Porter Jr (Trade)
    John Wall (Trade)
    Victor Oladipo (Trade)
    Christian Wood (FA)
    Daniel Theis (FA)
    Jalen Green (#2 Overall)
    Josh Christopher (1st rd)
    Usman Garuba (1st rd)
    TyTy Washington (1st rd)
    Daishen Nix (FA)
    Jock Landale (FA)

Decent/Good Moves:
    KJ Martin (2nd rd)
    Kelly Olynyk (Trade)
    Jaesean Tate (FA)
    Jabari Smith (#3 Overall)
    Amen Thompson (#4 Overall)
    Cam Whitmore (1st rd)
    Dillon Brooks (FA)
    Fred VanVleet (FA)
    Steven Adams (Trade)

Home Runs:
    Alperen Sengun (1st rd)
    Tari Eason (1st rd)
    Ime Udoka (Hire)

My grade so far for the Stone Era...
    D

For 2 straight years, Sengun and Tari are the only young, drafted players with a positive +/-. They are winning players, that's all I care about. I want winners. Build around these two.

6. cbass

cbass Member

Do ever say anything constructive in this forum?

Or do you just b**** and moan and take personal shots at posters who aren’t as miserable as you?

Sincere question.

Plowman likes this.
  7. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

The Spurs have been bottom feeders the last few years & have a generational talent. What grade do you give them? Apparently nobody told you how a tank works

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  8. PWR

PWR Member

Before this year, the Spurs had only 1 season in the last 10 years with record below 32 wins (2022-23 season when they finished with 22 wins). It took them one year of a sub-32 win season to get Wemby.

Depending on how we finish this year, this may by our 4th year with less than 32 wins.

Do you see the difference?

Nook and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the difference is rigged lottery :D

and btw nook had revealed here that alpi was not really stone's pick, but pushed by our advanced stats department, ie eli witus

slothy420 and PWR like this.
  10. PWR

PWR Member

Agreed on the rigging. I'm not even sure why the dude brought up the Spurs in a thread talking about Stone. Maybe he's trying to find a coping mechanism.

pippendagimp likes this.
  11. cbass

cbass Member

Yes. The difference is luck, plain and simple. That’s how the lottery works

12. PWR

PWR Member

Luck AND proper scouting.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

perhaps some years, but other years definitely not plain & simple luck... for instance the 2019 draft lottery was absolutely rigged

14. cbass

cbass Member

What kind of proper scouting is needed to identify Wembanyama as worthy of the 1st overall pick?

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  15. PWR

PWR Member

You misunderstood my point about proper scouting. Luck didn't land us Sengun and Tari. Teams passed on them.
    Proper scouting got us our best 2 draft picks, in my opinion.

16. cbass

cbass Member

Yes I suppose I don’t understand your point.

You give Stone a D and then used the Spurs as a counterexample, but the reason the Spurs are in a better situation is pure luck.

So I guess I don’t see why you’re using that to ding Stone’s performance.

17. PWR

PWR Member

Lol. Go back and re-read the conversation. I never brought up the Spurs in my takes other than as a response to the other guy comparing them to my post about Stone. I still don't know what the Spurs have to do with a Rockets topic. Why are you guys so fascinated with the Spurs?

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i have to disagree here. if stone hadn't fostered a sh!tshow toxic culture with the worst coach in league history for several seasons, then there's a chance silver might have considered us as a landing spot for wemby

daywalker02 and cbass like this.
  19. cbass

cbass Member

I’m not fascinated by the Spurs.

I was directly responding to a post you made.

But whatever. Jah bless, homie.

20. cbass

cbass Member

Fair

pippendagimp likes this.