1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stone has a plan and....he is sticking to it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jan 18, 2023.

?

Do you believe that Stone's plan is being executed?

Poll closed Feb 8, 2023.
  1. Yes

66 vote(s)
    71.7%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    28.3%
  1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Oh, ****, LOL. The incentives get worse.

2. dmoneybangbang

I'll take the opposite of that bet.

3. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LMAO No kidding

dmoneybangbang and studogg like this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I have a feeling I’m not gonna like the veteran pickups we make this offseason. No self respecting veteran is gonna want to come here. It’s magical thinking that Houston is gonna be able to just get good players and flip the switch to winning from this year to next. I don’t buy it.

daywalker02, bmelo and ashleyem like this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

I mean that's what the money is for.....

Not really.... you are just being vague with your gloominess. Define "good players" and define "winning".

I think the most likely outcome for the Rockets is that we are in the .400 winning percentage range with some modest roster additions that help balance the roster bit.

6. jb86

jb86 Member

His plan is to strike gold on talent through the draft. Also pay 1 maybe 2 legit all star players. It’s not too many in this years free agency but we do have the draft capital to swing a good deal for the best players on the sorry teams. We still need a championship minded coach though. And it’s plenty of those out there to be had. Bottom line, like the Texans, the Rox have to put that bread up to be really good and lucky for us we actually have the money this go round. The last time the owner really spent some bread on the whole team, we almost made the finals. ‍

7. Aruba77

bro, other organizations have money too. Organizations that haven’t been the worst in the league the last 3 yrs with better reputations.

8. dmoneybangbang

So your contention is that the Rockets won't be able to sign on FAs?

9. Aruba77

not very good ones.

Nook likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Except it isn’t just Wemby or bust. If the Rockets add Scoot Henderson, he will immediately become the Rockets franchise player. He is the #1 pick in about 2/3rds of typical drafts. That means the Rockets would have around a 1:3 chance of adding a franchise type player.

Then you look at Amen Thompson, who is viewed as a typical top 3 type player. While he is raw like Jalen Green was, he is also that type of athlete and a point guard. He has elite upside but some degree of bust factor.
    Then there is Brandon Miller, who projects as a high level starter in the NBA. A long wing that can shoot exceptionally well from 3, and defensively can play multiple spots. He would be a nasty long 3 next to Jabari Smith.

With the worst record, Miller would be the worst possible lottery ball return, and he is a very good long term piece.

larry cook, Deuce and BaselineFade like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets can likely sign solid but not spectacular players to long and bloated contracts.

12. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

If we want FAs this summer we're gonna have to over pay bad. Everybody should stop saying "sign some FAs" and put some names in. It's publicly available information.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/

Myles Turner is the gem but as long as anyone else offers him the max, and I expect a few teams do, there's no hope.

Would you be willing to throw max contracts at Jerami Grant or Kuzma? That's about the level of player that can be persuaded with sheer money alone. Bruce Brown is a solid vet who isn't too old. Otto Porter a good mentor type. Justice Winslow is still just 27. Juancho Hernangomez was in a decent movie. Yeah it's rough out there.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You have to look at the FA list.

Other than Harden who isn't a lock to be a free agent, I don't see many names that are good enough.

It is more than just luxury to go through the draft, it became a necessity.

Trades are the other relevant mean to get where they want to be.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not a math expert but the odds of the first 2 picks are at 27.4% while 1:3 would be 33.33%.

1:3,65..... approx. not quite 1:4 either.

Sorry to be that pedantic but we have to be specific here.

Haha with the rise of commodity pricing I am well accustomed.

#114 daywalker02, Jan 21, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
    DaDakota likes this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

17. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets will not get really good free agents. The Rockets will get free agents but they will have to over pay for them and sign them to long contracts. So they will immediately be under water.
    The Rockets best bet is giving up modest assets in a three way deal for someone like John Collins.

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Agree on the premise, not the player. I’d like a modest point guard improvement like Lorenzo Ball or Conley or Caruso. Adding a decent vet defensive backup center. On second thought, Collins wouldn’t be bad if we could bring him off the bench. Assuming we don’t get Wemby or Scoot a lineup like this might get us started to a greatly improved team next year.

Lorenzo or Conley, tyty
    Green, Gordon
    KJM, Tari, Tate
    Jabari, Collins, Tate
    Sengun, vet sign

2023 frp might supplant someone like tyty.

If we get Wemby or Scoot, then that changes the equation a lot. Then KPJ, Tate, Gordon, KJM, Garuba, all the Brooklyn picks come into play for some really good vets, maybe even Sengun if Wemby is the pick.

Nook likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I literally heard the same thing about Green in that him being first in many drafts. I'm sure you heard this in media circles also.

Draft hype is almost always "grass is greener on the other side". I'm not denying Henderson is a higher hyped prospect than Green when Green was 18. His hype is definitely higher. But it isn't automatic that Henderson will asurp Green. Henderson could disappoint. Green could have a second half season surge like last year and get back into the good graces.

Also their Gleague stats aren't far apart enough. Henderson has better assist numbers. Green was far more efficient as a scorer. Their net rating are both negative.

Like their impact at age 18 in the Gleague is nearly the same.

Good thing about Henderson is that him and Green compliment each other well. Green can be the primary scorer operating off ball and Scoot can be the primary playmaker.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is very hard to say because I heard 'Derrick Rose' or Russ Westbrook comparisons already.

Those are examples that don't have the longevity and extended prime that a player would want at their level.

Do you want a 1 time MVP but then 5 years of 'questionable IQ' plays or horrible injury because they were playing super athletically?

I hope he turns out like Nash or Kidd to be honest.

fchowd0311 likes this.