1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stone has a plan and....he is sticking to it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jan 18, 2023.

?

Do you believe that Stone's plan is being executed?

Poll closed Feb 8, 2023.
  1. Yes

66 vote(s)
    71.7%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    28.3%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Let's all take a step back from the **** show that is on the court, and in the media about our beloved franchise, and look at how things typically work.

Stone is hired as a GM, he has a plan to rebuild the team, he sells that plan to Tillman - this is what it is going to take, Tillman buys off on it, and Stone pushes that plan through Silas and onto the floor.

The players are trying to win, but they aren't being taught the fundamentals of winning, we have John Lucas and Lionel Hollins on the bench and we aren't teaching them fundamentals - what does that tell us?

It seems to indicate that we are tanking on purpose from management - that they are going all in on the top 3 pick option, and have been for 3 years. They don't care about John Wall, they don't care about the fans, they don't care about what the media says......this is their plan, and they are going to be judged by the results.

And, you can't blame them, if you take a high level executive job and you sell that plan to the board, and they agree, you stick to it until it is clear it either works, somewhat works or doesn't work.....2 of those probably get you fired, but that is OK, because you went down swinging with YOUR PLAN OF ACTION.

There are little things that point to the org doing this, their lack of teaching a proper defense, or holding players accountable, their lack of making Sengun the Hub to help KPJ and Green be better, and the biggest is the lack of accountability on the floor, the kids can do whatever they want and they aren't getting benched and taught and put back in.

This team is a mess......100% a mess.......and, IMHO it is 100% on purpose.

Again, the players aren't tanking, and SIlas is trying to win under the restrictions he is getting from Stone, which means he is a pretty weak Head coach - it also means if this theory is right, there is no way Stone fires him because he will want Silas as a protector for his plan for as long as possible.

So, while it SUCKS BALLS that we STINK, if it works we get better in a hurry if not, well, Stone and company will be fired and we get to start all over.

Best to hope it works.

DD

#1 DaDakota, Jan 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    Bo6, don grahamleone, topfive and 6 others like this.
  2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

At times like these I find myself wondering what Dadakota thinks……

If only I knew where to go to find his same sentiment on every page of a bbs board….

Said no one ever

GotGame15, KingCheetah, B-Bob and 6 others like this.
  3. DaDakota

LOL - why are you complaining about what a BBS is 100% for, you don't have to click the link @studogg

BTW - do you agree with the premise? That this is really Stone's plan?

I also think this is why Stone & Tillman (A guy who loves the cameras) are hiding from the media - they don't have to answer hard questions....they can just ignore it, and let Silas twist in the wind.

DD

#3 DaDakota, Jan 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    Bo6, xiki and don grahamleone like this.
  4. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

I agree with your assessment. Well most of it. I think it's nearly unequivocal, that Silas will be the scapegoat. Why? Because some heads have to roll for the current situation. They can not.... can not stand pat after 2 and a half seasons of horrid play. He's an easy scapegoat and quick fix for the issues to placate the masses. Your theory also gives Silas a lot of credit that I'm not sure he's earned, but that's an opinion. Would be nice if you're right.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Essentially, yeah. Not yay.

And here’s hoping for at least a play-in in ‘24.

DaDakota likes this.
  6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Been said these fools aren't tanking.. They suck as a team!... Accountability only works when you have professionals with at least a star. But you want to bench them to bring in who exactly? The few people that show up to the games are there to see Jalen and Sengun.. I don't think anyone really paying to see the others..

cmoak1982 and Ancient Moabite like this.
  7. DaDakota

It just seems logical that Stone disappears and is not answering media questions, that he has been in basketball for years and can see what everyone here can see, that the team lacks direction, and if his job was on the line he would have acted already. I believe that Stone is comfortable losing this year - and doesn't care about anything other than getting that high pick, and actual development could hurt those odds.

So he sits on his hands and doesn't deal with an unbalanced roster, doesn't get a proper PG to either mentor KPJ or to let him learn behind, and is happy with just rolling the ball out and letting young kids get essential NBA reps.

Tanking is a process, and this is what it looks like.....but it is temporary, I believe Stone is looking for a "DUDE" and we don't have anyone that is a "DUDE" yet.

We have some maybe "DUDE"s, but we don't have a sure one yet....and therefore we tank until one emerges, or we draft one.....

DD

8. DaDakota

You take them out, point out their mistakes, and put them back in, you know coach em up.

I think you are correct, but they are not concerning themselves with the box office gate, they are looking bigger long term picture, while we fans want to see some development now, they don't care as long as they can stay bottom 3.

DD

9. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

That's been pretty much my thought since the day the traded Harden and went full rebuild.

I expected them to be complete trash for 3 years (this would be year 3). I expect them to compete for play-in next season, playoffs the following year as 4-7 seed - from that point on, continue growing and tweaking...

catarax05, Plowman, 34to11 and 2 others like this.
  10. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

I agree. Stone has to be okay with losing. At least for this last year. That would be the only thing that makes sense. We don't have an incompetent GM. I believe next year will be completely different if the team were struggling in terms of trades, benchings, and scrambling to be better. We 100% don't have a superstar to take us to the next level. No point in being good when you don't. I see what he does. The only question is whether Silas is coaching down or not. I just don't see it. I'd love to see a real offense based on movement. Nope. Rotations that make sense. Nope. I think he's sticking to what he's envisioned before he got the young guys instead of changing to compliment what he has. Maybe I'm wrong.

DaDakota likes this.
  11. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

This is the part I don't get. We can still do those things and still lose games. I don't think teaching them to get back in transition on D and running the O through Sengun is enough to catapult us out of a top 3 pick. We would still suck. We just wouldn't be losing every game by 20 points.

12. xaos

xaos Member

It's been clear to some that we chose the tanking route since the Harden trade.

Why go this route? Well, for starters the Westbrook trade was the worst trade in Rockets history. It really limited our options for improvement now. So we chose to accumulate high end assets through the draft and play not just the odds of one draft, but 3 consecutive ones. If a franchise player isn't found (our current situation) we'd have a great chance at landing 1-3 players who could develop into all stars without giving up any assets (see quote below).

I know it's been disappointing and unbearable for some on here.

I could really go on but it's not really worth it.

OkayAyeReloaded, 34to11 and JusBleezy like this.
  13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

Do people really doubt that what we do isn't on purpose?

14. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

I wish Stone was more vocal what his path is or speak to media little more . Or a type of vision he’s thinking . Obviously we are tanking . Morey was always talking what he had in mind .

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I think Tilman inherited a very large payroll for a team he didn't believe was going to be a championship contender. Beyond an albatross payroll for players - he was paying peak dollars for GM and decent money for coach. He saw the writing on the wall and dismantled through a cost cutting approach.

When we lucked out and got the #2 pick in Green's year is the moment I thought he should begin altering that approach.

I do not believe he has supreme confidence in Silas or Stone. I do not think Stone did some amazing sales job on tanking for three straight years. I think they both came cheap enough for the time and his hopes were that they'd grow into their respective roles and he'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

I cannot restate enough that there is an appropriate way to tank with young talent and the way the rockets are currently tanking.

One leads to a potential rebound - one leads to years in lotteryville - not to be confused with margaritaville

AroundTheWorld and DaDakota like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So let's say we don't get that 'dude' for 3 years.... do you want the fans of the beloved franchise as you put it to suffer and being ridiculed by the national media and other team's fans?

Just to follow another illusion in the desert.

17. marky :)

marky :) Member

18. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

All will be forgotten if we land Wemby and he develops into what is expected.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling Popovich might land him.

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

well tanking never works and even if it did you just know adam silver will step in and do what he did to 76ers
    so yeah roll up sleeves because there is no substitute for putting in effort and hard work..theres no subsittute for wining!

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

dude wake up, every year its some unicorn or the other that will take the league by the storm and he never does anything when he hits the hardwood...in the meantime picks 7 11 and 35 won a full bag of nba rings

AroundTheWorld likes this.