1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

So two negative articles today on RIVN........coordinated attack?
    https://seekingalpha.com/news/37730...eport-of-underperforming-range-for-amazon-van

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Don't know if it's an "attack"... could just be true. lol. I mean in tests of Teslas in magazines, some don't perform up to their claimed ranges. Alternatively, I thought I remember reading Taycans get better mileage than they claim, but I may be misremembering that. BTW, that report was based upon comments by a higher-up at Amazon regarding a prototype van. From what I remember the vans only have 1 battery that gets about 150 mile range on a charge or something. I don't know how many miles a typical route is for these things. If Amazon pulls out of the deal, that would wreck the stock. lol.

Sajan likes this.
  3. Sajan

Sajan Member

If Amazon pulls out, that stock will go to 10 lol......the entire valuation seems to be based on BUT AMAZON!!!!
    And yes, Taycan ranges in the real world have been higher.

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I feel like electric vehicles for delivery routes has to be a way off. The batteries on those types of vehicles will degrade so quickly with all of the required charging cycles required to keep them running. Not to mention a good portion will inevitably run in colder climates which will cut down the range by 40%. And these new companies are so desperate for maximum mileage on their batteries that they'll just skip building a buffer into the battery altogether (which in turn will result in faster degradation of the battery).

Electric cars work for everyday consumers because in reality, most people don't drive very much (especially with Covid). I personally have a Chevy Volt (so roughly 55 mile EV range) and I use maybe half of that per day. We don't need to abuse the batteries on an EV the way Amazon or UPS would. I'm not sold that battery tech is robust enough for commercial uses yet. Electric buses at least run on predictable routes and schedules. But these delivery fleets are built on maximizing utilization. I personally think Amazon signed a very friendly deal with Rivian that gave them all kinds of ways to back out with no penalty.

Sajan likes this.
  5. Sajan

Sajan Member

And for all we know that agreement was just to get RIVN on the map and get a good IPO price for working capital.
    Amazon probably has no intention of fully going through with it..

6. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Sold half my position in AMZN as it started to rollover this afternoon…but I am getting destroyed in PYPL. Fintech as a whole getting hit pretty hard these days. Even the disrupter AFRM is down over 15% in the past 2 weeks.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, yeah, but AFRM was up HUGE over the past few months. They had that convertible bond offering a couple of days ago that didn't help, too. I'm sure some of it is end-of-year profit-taking, too. I never looked into AFRM much, but isn't what they do basically just "layaway"? Or is there something else to it?

8. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

My understanding is you get your product right away but your credit and the length of your installments determines how much interest you pay.

Dr of Dunk likes this.
  9. adoo

adoo Member

Biden just re-nominated Powell for a new term as Fed Chair

Sajan likes this.
  10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

There's not much too it at all. Really, their business is to enter into relationships with merchants to list affirm as a separate payment method where you can buy now pay later. Keep in mind that if someone clicked paypal, they could then just use Paypal credit and do the exact same thing. Certain credit card issuers also have buy now pay later integrated into their products.

But since Affirm is listed separately as a payment method (and it specifically says buy now pay later), people just assume that's the only way to do an installment plan. And people with very little available credit, just see it as another backdoor path to additional credit.

But this game can only last so long. Americans are very unfamiliar with buy now pay later products while people in other countries routinely use these products and so they are far more educated. Affirm in general has huge margins because their interest rates are extremely high and they prey on people who just need some additional credit to buy something.

But I don't see this scaling long term. People will get better educated and merchants will have other options for installment products which will drive down margins. In other countries, installment plans don't have the fat margins that Affirm has and as the American market matures, you'll see a similar trend.

Dr of Dunk and whag00 like this.
  11. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

pain. is there some big negative news?

Ziggy likes this.
  12. Sajan

Sajan Member

13. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Seems to be only software. My non software growth like rklb, tsla were fine. Sold my rbac commons to buy dips on crwd, mndy, meli.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

hrmmmmm, interesting....

[​IMG]

15. adoo

adoo Member

if you subscribe to these bullish TA indicators,
    • Cup-w-handle formation
      • 8-mo cup, w a 3-wk handle, on declining volume
      • strong volume on the last 2 trading days---bouncing off the top trading trade channel---ready for lift off
    • MACD cross over,
    you may want to consider IBKR

#17655 adoo, Nov 22, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    saitou likes this.
  16. Sajan

Sajan Member

WASHINGTON/LONDON, Nov 23 (Reuters) - Wall Street stocks fell and the dollar slipped from a 16-month high on Tuesday as investors positioned for interest rate hikes in 2022 after Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell was nominated for a second term, while European shares slumped to a three-week low.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

"Yeah, that sounds like a good reason. Let's run with it." :D

18. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

these market shifts are too fast for me to keep up with; any new news? seems green finally. DLO looks like it bounced off IPO low.

MexAmercnMoose likes this.
  19. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

bought some shares of visa today.
    expect the spat with amazon to end

saitou and MexAmercnMoose like this.
  20. Sajan

Sajan Member

man APPS.....

saitou likes this.