1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Dude comes into thread as a novice investor.
    Dude leaves thread looking to short stocks.

Quickest bankruptcy ever. :D

lol. jk. There are tons of places to look for advice about getting into investing. My best advice is to stay the hell away from shorting stocks if you're new to investing. Try places like vanguard.com, fidelity.com, investopedia.com, etc. Learn the boring/mundane stuff first... then you can branch off into ways you can quickly lose your shirt after that.

Sajan, adoo, CXbby and 3 others like this.
  2. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

welcome. Good to keep an open mind. By being too bearish you also miss out on gainz.

What Pele said about stock market having gone up a lot since March 2020 is true of course. Market will have pullbacks and corrections when it gets too far ahead of itself, and due to human greed this will keep happening every few months. Truth is no one really knows when the next big correction will come.

However, the overall long term trend is clear, I think u need to go back to the great depression for a multi year bear market. Some macro trends:

1. Money supply keeps increasing, the rate of increase varies but supply keeps going up not down. Check fed website.
    2. Devaluation of $ results in higher prices for everything. Even average companies that don't grow selling same 100 widgets a year could see revenue and share price increase gradually.
    3. Stock market doesn't represent overall economy, it represents the biggest companies. They've been beating small biz for a long time and covid and technology is accelerating this trend. While small businesses have been suffering, look at amzn, msft etc increase in revenue and profit since covid to now. In that context their increase in share price during this period doesn't look that crazy. I think amzn share price is up 70% while net income is up 140+%, revenue up 58%.

Oh and when market is correcting, everything looks red and I need inspiration to hodl, I just search the latest tom lee clip on YouTube and I become a permabull again haha.

#17282 saitou, Oct 17, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    Ziggy likes this.
  3. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

[​IMG]
    Another post IPO dumpster. Double bottom and reclaiming the 20sma?

The Real Shady likes this.
  4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Thank you as well, what you have mentioned is part of the reason I am trying to educate myself on the matter. I very much appreciate the advice!

5. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

6. adoo

adoo Member

clos4life,

in addition to heeding these sage words from the Dr, you may want to read

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#17286 adoo, Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  7. adoo

adoo Member

i look for it to be catapulting up thru 300 before the ERS~ end of Nov

[​IMG]

saitou likes this.
  8. adoo

adoo Member

ERS will be 21 Oct, before market opens; this ~2.5% yielder goes X-Div a week later

[​IMG]

sold another bullish PUT spread, using 22 Oct expiration
    • bto 120 PUT, sto 125 PUT
    should BX close above 125, by this coming Fri, i get to keep the $1.92 premium collected.

9. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

i fomo'd a few shares lol.

Do you think APPS can break ATH?

Sajan likes this.
  10. Sajan

Sajan Member

I thought I skipped about 50 pages over a few years but that was the quickest...."what are stocks.....ok short SPY? got it."

CCity Zero and saitou like this.
  11. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

ATNF gang, this flew under the radar a bit (including mine), on 30 Sep they converted $800k in debt owed to their co-founder Prof Sir Marc Feldmann into shares for him @$6 per share. This was above market price, shares closed at $5.41 that day. This is like the opposite of PLTR in terms of looking after shareholder interests.

Nice to have super rich management (a bunch of them have founded and sold biotechs for billions). No need to do public offerings to raise funds at low prices when senior management are personally rich enough to do funding rounds. I do think they will eventually raise $ in open market, but at these prices they obviously rather protect their equity.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/0001690080/000101376221000206/xslF345X03/ownership.xml

Sajan likes this.
  12. Sajan

Sajan Member

i was wondering why it was up today..

13. PWR

PWR Member

HUDI is making me feel a little better about ending my swing early on HX at 4.84. (smh).

HUDI
    [​IMG]

HX (ended my swing way too early)
    [​IMG]

saitou likes this.
  14. adoo

adoo Member

APPS says hello,

[​IMG]
    on its fifth attempt. since Feb, it had protruded up thru the upper trader channel. since then, on 7 consecutive trading day, it has closed above the channel.
    today, on the heels of this strong bounce off the lower channel, we've just witnessed a bullish engulfing candle. meaning that many traders are still buying at these high prices

imo, this up trend will continue, leading to the Nov ERS

my credit spread, Nov 19 bullish 85/80 PUT spread is in-the-money

just sold another bullish PUT spread, 90/85, for a premium of $2.55​

saitou likes this.
  15. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Yay! I actually took my own advice to clos (Kelly criterion) and closed 10 short puts today haha. Avg sell was around $9, avg buy around $2. Long dated and out of the money (dec to mar expiry, $45-$55 strike), but wanted to free up maintenance margin.

Still holding too many shares, plan to sell ITM covered calls on half my position closer to earnings.

16. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Congrats. I didn't end up entering hudi as the volume looked too thin. Keep sharing your stacked EMA ideas, I think you're onto something haha.

PWR likes this.
  17. adoo

adoo Member

A shortist spinning, being intellectually dishonest

Jim Chanos, betting against IBM, accuses firm of 'financial engineering' (cnbc.com)
    • claims that IBM uses pro-forma accounting to present future earnings
      • while GAAP accounting is all-inclusive, pro-forma accounting excludes non-recurring items, such as restructuring cost
    like most other US conglomerates, in earning calls,

IBM has always provided GAAP-based financial statements, and then supplement them w pro-forma financials (which take out the non-recurring items).
    their forecasts of future earnings have always included both GAAP-based #'s and pro-forma #'s​

in my view, Chanos is being intellectual dishonest---telling only a half of the narrative---trying to scare weak hands that hold IBM to sell; it was trading ~ 141 after hour, down 3 from yesterday's close

i am holding on to my shares, w covered CALLs, which i bought @ ~ 128 earlier this yr

Chanos has been one of the well-known shortists on the street.
    • he has been right and he has been wrong w his bets.
      • he had a huge short on TSLA

#17297 adoo, Oct 19, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    saitou likes this.
  18. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

upload_2021-10-19_18-51-12.png

@adoo looking good? Earnings likely end of this month. Tempted to buy and hold calls past earnings. Was thinking buy $57 strike, sell $62.50 strike. Don't follow their biz that closely but looks like big overreaction to last qtr earnings. Active users growth was down as pandemic wears off, but rev and net income numbers were good. Still lots of tam left in international markets for PINS.

#17298 saitou, Oct 19, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  19. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Sounds super desperate. Saas companies do way more "engineering" (don't measure us by revenue, look at ARR, or NRR, or MAU), I dont see him shorting them on that basis haha. As an investor I would want to see both, pro-forma is better for projecting the future.

20. PWR

PWR Member

ICD (I'm in at 4.31) - another Houston oil company like CEI. The rsi is in the 80s, so it may cool pretty soon...have a defined stop.
    [​IMG]

OLB (I'm watching EMAs) - Crypto related. Just recently had an offering and now trying to squeeze. Had a prior squeeze earlier this year from $4 to $16. Really low float, so it won't take much to run.
    [​IMG]

saitou likes this.