1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i didn't see that but that's got to be one of the main reasons (outside of the potential accounting changes) why FNM and FRE are getting slaughtered. it could get ugly really fast. i saw NLY had some big put buying going on in it. they are pretty widely regarded as conservative but if that AAA index crashes then they are done!

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

what are your thoughts on GM and Ford bonds. these things are returning ~20% right now. while the risk would seem to be high, if you get one that matures in 1 year or less, are either of these going bankrupt in that time period?

looking at Ford, their operating income has been positive (even if just barely) for the last few quarters and they appear to have $33B in cash. can they really be going bankrupt in under a year.

but then 20% returns don't just happen for fun, so there must be something i'm missing.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

this market is a basset hound!

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

well i would imagine the govt wouldn't let ford fail either. some in congress have already come out and said that we can't let gm fail. it would be complete political suicide in my eyes if they did. if you are looking at ford bonds make sure they are SENIOR debt and not subordinated debt. by having senior debt your risk on your principle is reduced significantly in a bankruptcy.

5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

*cough*cough*

:eek:

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Why not just the common GM shares? I think they're worth taking a shot with a couple hundred bucks and holding the lottery ticket.

7. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Covered at $7.50. Ima take my money and run.

8. RocketsPimp

Wow, nicely done!

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i would only buy the common if GM filed for bankruptcy or was looking like it was on the verge of it. i will probably wait on the senior debt as well. i can't see GM turning things around immediately so things should get cheaper. there is too much risk with the common as it stands now. too much risk with the preferreds as well but when the govt steps into to back GM they will shoot up and the common will not. plus you get the 15% yield with the senior debt.

i'm too lazy to explain things right now so i hope that made some sense.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

nicely done

11. lpbman

lpbman Member

Stay far away from Nvidia.

12. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Making a couple of dollars on Cosan.

Still no comment on Marathon?

13. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Werd to CZZ

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

GLD- gold etf
    DBC- commodities etf
    GAF- Middle East and Africa etf (something that doesn't correlate with US equities, Asia correlates too much these days)
    FINPX- inflation protected bonds or TIPS (inflation is going to 10% folks, protect yourselves)

15. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

nothing on my front...havent really looked into it much...
    im luke warm on oil companies right now...

16. RocketsPimp

No, it makes sense. I understand there is less risk with the preferred shares. Yeah, I'd have to agree that it's gonna be awhile til things are turned around. I guess there just isn't a whole lot further it could fall. Still I'll probably sit on the sidelines awhile longer.

17. cdastros

cdastros Member

Can anyone explain to my why Fannie and Freddi are so important? Why can't we just have them collapse and have banks handle mortgages?

18. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Because they, together, currently back like half of the entire country's mortages, to the tune of $5 trillion?

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Banks are in such bad shape they wont be able to handle the mortgages. Also, Fannie and Freddie were able to offer lower interest rates because of the implicit guarantee of the government. That will probably change, though. So now, interest rates to buy a home will likely go higher.

20. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

NBC has a show called The American Dream with Jim Cramer. It's on right now.

[​IMG]