1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

And twitter (Musk, Obama, Uber, Gates, Kanye) has been hacked...now down about 4.5%

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier. Still hasn't been determined if Twitter was hacked or if those people were phished somehow, though. This is going to be interesting. I joked I'd probably sell when it gets back to $35. Maybe I should've listened to myself. :D

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bought into X too soon due to ring rust..the first time..it was sloppy, but after a few tense moments worked out. Good second trip.
    GOLD@26 out @27..finally started getting in that quantum flow rotating sectors.
    Concentrating on the buying and selling patterns within the Dow/NAS with CNBC on mute and the music going.
    Had to resort to visualization to do what used to be second nature.
    The marriage of the technical and innate is still there....
    I'm getting there....

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, I was so close on buying calls earlier this week for SPCE.... I'm definitely going to have to keep watching that one, thanks for heads up.

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

On X I have still been moving the $10 strike calls for 8/28, the volume sold makes me feel like it'll keep trending that way unless something crazy happens. Obviously be careful with it definitely not financial advice. I unfortunately moved my $7.50 calls too early.... I basically play that stock on calls and puts over short periods and just move the contracts hoping to get it when it really moves. It's a pretty light play.

SLV I've been messing around with on options, trending correctly so far.... But we'll see. I'm hoping for $18.50+ by eow - we'll see... The SLV one was based on unusual volume activity so not much position in it.

I meant to look at gold...

Plowman likes this.
  6. Plowman

Supporting Member

Yeah, I like SLV. Precious metals stocks in general. Silver, but Platinum and Palladium too.

Apache has been good to me, and should be strong moving forward.

CCity Zero likes this.
  7. Plowman

Supporting Member

What's your take on 5G stocks?

Aside from that, the glacier that is CMCSA is starting to move. With earnings in 11 days or so....Gonna have blowout #s..

CCity Zero likes this.
  8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, that's what I've been looking for on 5G/other comm type stocks is they could play out really nicely, especially soon with updates/higher need for internet.

Unfortunately I haven't done much research yet, but definitely think this could be a nice time to get in. Like on CMCSA you could probably ride up to earnings like you mention and then move to next one - depending on position/plan.

Plowman likes this.
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice move on Apache, and definitely agree with you on other metals, could be some great plays.

10. adoo

adoo Member

[​IMG]

exited my 133 CALLs, w 63 days before expiration, w a nice profit.

then constructed a vertical CALL calendar spread on IBB, to use time to work for me

• sto Aug 14 2020 146 strike CALL
    • bto Jan 14 2021 139 strike CALL, for a net cost of 9.55

also sold a bullish put spread for 1.95 credit
    sto aug 2020 144 strike PUT
    bto aug 2020 139 strike PUT​

will keep rolling forward the front leg to a higher strike CALL that will net a credit, until 30 days before expiration.
    i see the back leg ( Jan 2021, 139 strike CAL} more than doubling in value

CCity Zero likes this.
  11. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

@adoo did you have a target entry price for FSLY? I'm still a bit sceptical of the sustainability of the biz model tho. Other fast growers that I'm looking to add: LVGO, SQ, DDOG; long term do you have a fav out of these? (Everyone else feel free to give your 2c too)

12. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

TSMC reported a good earnings beat. However, they fab for so many companies, its hard to decipher from this the performance of its partners (AAPL, AMD, etc.)

13. adoo

adoo Member

i don't have unlimited funds; i m sticking to my assessment

saitou likes this.
  14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

you didn't ask me, but NOK and ERIC are the 5G plays in my book. they aren't going to light the world on fire, but the antenna developers are going to be the ones benefiting the most out of the 5G infrastructure especially now that countries are replacing Huawei's antennas.

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Good callouts, I think this could work well with the Huawei situation. Definitely going to look at these for options. I'll share anything I enter.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

One of my CD's matured today. I wanted to move the money into something else, but they shook in fear and granted me 1.10% APY if I kept my account with them for a year. Being the baller I am :cool:, I accepted that 1.10%.

Moral of this story : savings rates suck.

I remember when I was pissed getting only around 2.6 or 2.8% on that CD when I bought into it. lol. I'd be ecstatic with that right now.

#10856 Dr of Dunk, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    CCity Zero, Kim and Sajan like this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

5G stocks have been moving up for a while now, but there are so many of them depending upon how you want to attack it. I just got into VZ, not necessarily just for 5G, but for the long-term dividends and because hopefully it won't get obliterated by any tech downturn. In terms of carriers, I've read T-Mobile is ahead of VZ and T in the 5G rollout, but I don't know. I bought MRVL back when it was in the 20's, I think, but it does worry me since a lot of their business comes from China from what I recall.

I think I've got about 10-15 "5G-related" stocks that I have to weed down -- many of which have already been hyped up for months.

Plowman likes this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

NFLX down 10-15% on earnings for anyone concerned.

Sajan likes this.
  19. adoo

adoo Member

it was a earnings beat for Q2; but NFLX's guidance for Q3 and the current year was disappointing

` 30 min before closing, sold this bearish CALL spread, 7-31 expiration, for $2.55 credit, defining my max risk to be $2.45

bto 530 call
    sto 525 call​

#10859 adoo, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    mulletman likes this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

On a sidenote, Bill Nygren (huge value investor) was being interviewed this morning and I heard him say they finally sold their position in AAPL. They bought it back in 2009 and kept adding to it since then. His initial position was something like $12/share. That's something like a 3000% return doing nothing but sitting on it - nice. His Oakmark funds were some of my earliest investments in my late teens/early 20's. Nostalgia.

This kind of reminds me of PNC selling Blackrock back in May. They bought Blackrock back in 1994 (a few days before the Rockets won Game 7 vs. the Knicks) for something like $240 million and sat on it until May of this year and finally sold Blackrock for something like $14-$17 billion. They still own 500,000 shares in Blackrock, too. Wow.