1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Anyone looking to short JCOM? 50% of their business is eFax and Voice? Why is it trading so high?

2. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

A friend sent this to me this morning. I thought I'd share. If this continues that was an absolutely ridiculous call. Big If though. This man not only gave a date, but said the afternoon. Geez. This was posted back in February.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wqSKTHckGks" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#8142 Ron from the G, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  3. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Peaked in the afternoon of the 22nd though, not 23rd. Guy is a fraud.

4. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Anyone have any experience with Tim Sykes and his penny stock investing strategy? I signed up for his chat room and am trying to mimic his trades on a fake account for a couple weeks to see if his strategy is realistic.

For example, today there was a heads up that $GNCA was taking off and I bought in around 6.50 and rode the stock until about $7.50 and closed my position.

#8144 Butterfingers, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

He's a friend of mine from when he used to manage money in NYC. His fund blew up eventually. He makes a fortune selling the dream of penny stocks through his websites and newsletters. I was incredulous when I saw some of the figures. There are some success stories from his graduates, but almost all the cars and homes he is posting online are rentals. If you want to get rich trading, there are safer strategies to learn which takes a while to learn. He maintains a douchebag bro personality online, but he's actually a pretty cool cat.

To answer your question of mimicking his trades. It's not the best way to make money as you won't find the same shares available to short. If you can learn the core concepts of how he trades and what causes companies to collapse, you would be better served. This will take some time, but can make you some good money. For a good basic primer of what he does, listen to his interview on the Art of Charm podcast from last year.

6. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I started with Tim Alerts, then pre-promotion stocks, now i've been with Super alerts for the last 3 years. You really need Pro with the daily video lessons to learn any of their strategies. I haven't traded in a while because my job is too demanding and to really make money with these alerts, you have to be active in the chatroom and engaged with your trading platform all day. Seriously though, if you don't have realtime level II and ticker updates, its hard to know exactly when to buy or sell. You have to follow the price action realtime.

7. Butterfingers

Any success with his strategy?

8. Butterfingers

I need some help investing. I've saved $100k in 2 years and I need to put my money to work.

So first I opened a Merrill Edge account to get 100 free trades a month and a $250 signing bonus.

Second, I put half my money into stocks so far and I would appreciate some recommendations on what people think is a good investment right now. $25K in SPY, $14k in GOOG, $5k in some high paying dividend paying stocks (that pay 10% dividend yield) like AB and TCRD, $5k in the USO oil index (I am confident oil will go up in the long term), $1k in FB.

Those ^^ are my long term holdings, I am currently holding $5k in LinkedIn stock, bought in at 107 and looking for it to reach 115-120 and then sell in the next 30 days.

I plan to use another 5k to try penny stocks with Tim Sykes' chat room. Have 25k in cash sitting around for emergencies and additional stock purchases.

Now I want to buy 10-20k of fixed income securities (bonds or money market accounts). Basically something very safe with a maturity of one year but I have no idea what I am doing here or what to search for.

9. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

You should look into hiring a financial planner.

10. mig0s

mig0s Member

rofl this is pure gold. 0 basketball knowledge, 0 knowledge on stocks/investing.

how's CHK doing now?

1 person likes this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Well I bought it around three so I'm thrilled with it lol. Sold this morning

12. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Not sure what yalls beef is but that's just totally uncool

13. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

you really dug through this thread to bump it with **** talking?

14. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Yeah. Not cool.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Says the guy who thought Rockets would play Spurs in the 2nd round. But then again Lin fan and basketball knowledge are universes apart

Anyway to answer your question, I'm still holding on to CHK. I did buy other stocks at real low prices and they have shot up so overall I'm doing quite well.

Also, I use stocks as a recreational thing. I have plenty other sources of income

Now come scrub my toilet, Miguel

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

It's ok. Miguel is mad that I and several others repeatedly question and laugh at his lack of basketball knowledge.

Latest example in the below thread.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=273916

Anyway, let's not deviate from this thread.

17. mig0s

mig0s Member

Rofl get over yourself. I wanted to be funny and made a typo and failed. nothing worth saying there but I've read a few posts from you in different threads, whether in the GARM or hangout. Judging by your posts I would be surprised if you finished high school. You lack knowledge on pretty much everything and you seem pretty insecure about yourself because you feel the need to belittle other members for no real reason.

In the Lin thread, everyone is pretty funny and enjoyable (even Tinman and King1) but you can't get over your insecurities and keep ignoring all the time you've been caught up and proven wrong.

The first time I read your posts I figured that you must have a pretty low IQ and are not very smart. This thread (among others) just proved everything.

*Working at Burger King and McDonald's at the same time does not mean other sources of income btw

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Anyone with any interesting tips? I've sold out of CHK and JPM for some big returns and have a lot of cash on hand now to play with.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

All aboard!

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

So, anyone buying in on Peabody after their Chapter 11 filing?