1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

i think the big event this week will be the Draghi speech on Thursday.

2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

think these iCloud hacks are going to hit APPL?

3. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

Is trading more difficult to make money than straight up investing.
    You have that short term capital gains tax and also all the fees racked up from buying and selling. I always heard that trading is incredibly hard to make money doing.

4. benchmoochie

I think Pcln is going to 1180-1200. it's not looking to good. it could even go to 1150s on some pullback to spx 1976 the gap up on 8.19

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I recommend trading to no one, but the hours are pretty nice if you can learn how to trade. And yeah I rack up a ton in commissions too.

6. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

Well I guess thats good to know. It just seems like everyone here is just trading and making tons of money.

7. benchmoochie

what a call! I hope someone went puts!!!

8. rocketry

rocketry Member

Been lurking this thread for a while trying to glean some bits of knowledge.

Had a question: Anticipating coming into some funds next year and am thinking of starting my own business or getting into trading. Seems like trading isn't the way to go, to volatile. What do you guys recommend?

9. fallenphoenix

if it's between starting your own business and trading i'd go with your own business. now isn't a great time to begin trading with where the markets are. i anticipate a major correction in a year or so though.

10. benchmoochie

Question:how high is gpro going up? $25 up in a month is scary.. irrational as everything else.
    (this is a sarcastic question because I'm laughing at it)

#7290 benchmoochie, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  11. fallenphoenix

kicking myself. i bought YHOO at 34 anticipating the BABA IPO, and got impatient and sold at 36.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Don't kick yourself for it just figure out how you could have fixed the problem. Either set a stop to get out of the trade or keep following the trade and buy it again after that breakout above 37.

13. benchmoochie

Did a sept 20 60/55 vertical put spread on GPRO Paid 80c with profit of max $400 per 1 contract. We'll see how this goes. Looks to me if it pulled back it would be $57s.

But 5:1 ratio was a good risk ratio for me.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

September? Those expire next week and it just broke out to new highs. Sure it may be overbought, but that is a lot of momentum that has to reverse in a short period of time. Going to be especially hard after today's move. It might work, but you would have a much better chance at the trade working if you went after the 65/60 put spread. I think those were going for about 1.60. Also, that 5:1 risk ratio isn't really that since you are looking for a pullback to 57 or so.

Just trying to provide some constructive criticism.

15. benchmoochie

The problem was I was executing it when I thought a tail formed yesterday at the $64 level and when the spx broke to 1984 today in the morning I thought it would tail off but it couldnt break the previous close. If i was trading directional, then I would have executed a put trade based on it breaking this level. That's where I erred. It kinda hung around and rose up with the market. The 5:1 risk ratio was based on the full max profit of $400 based off $80 cost per one contract. The $57 i referred to was a line I had drawn where I thought it would go to as the first floor area.

Like I said it was probably premature. This is my first spread trade I've ever done so it was trial and error. I've been trading merely directional for 5 years.

Appreciate your input, and yea obviously it would have a greater probability to work if the strike was closer to at the money. I would probably just do a directional put if it started to pull back, but I wanted to try a spread trade.

But, not a big deal in this case since my exposure is quite small. It will be a learning lesson.

#7295 benchmoochie, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Technical brehs- Can you give me your technical opinion on WIFI for time frame of 1-3 weeks?

17. benchmoochie

looks like approaching one year high. if breaks could be 8-9. I haven't read the news or checked for any volume spikes though

18. fallenphoenix

any opinions on crude oil futures? their prices have been slumping lately.

19. benchmoochie

the nov contract price of 91.26 was a technical area that it broke couple days ago. it hit 90.60 or I think. I'll be watching to see if it continues the downside.

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Newb when it comes ot investing. Hope someone can help me out

I have a significant amount of money just sitting on my chase checkings account doing nothing.

Is it worth investing a bit of it with chase and have one of their financial guys take control?

If not, what are other long term investment options with good returns?