1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

HALO is at a great price these days if anyone was curious about it..

multiple catalysts coming up

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

HIMX shot up today on an upgrade and Google is starting it Glass push.

HLF exploded on the audit being completed.

TWTR has finally topped out.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

GOOG looks like it's making a push into robotics. It's been buying up robotics companies left and right and just bought up one of the best-known ones - Boston Dynamics.

4. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

They have Skynet. Now they can start producing T-1000s.

5. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I agree on TWTR I went in on the 59P on TWTR for $2.32 but I closed when it hit 55 and change. I originally thought that TWTR could pull back to 51 this week but I came up with a 55.2-56 scenario given I didn't know what kind of reaction the market would do after WED (run up again), and I didn't want to hold into that.

6. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

ROBBIE - what are your thoughts on these?

1) start accumulation of NLY? MBS REIT best of breed. blew up during QE. CEO bought 2M at 10.95/10.96. I think once taper happens will go up.

2) PAAS - I like the fundamental valuation on it.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Nly..... Yellen made comments about the amount of leverage mreits currently have. Clearly, if she put some significant regulation on them then it would be a problem. I like nly and now is probably a decent shot to buy them now with tax loss selling going on.

Paas.... No really great ideas about it. Don't they have high costs mine silver? The chart doesn't look amazing either but it's not a complete train wreck like other precious metal miners. What about the fundamentals do you like?

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Fed tapered by $10 billion a month. Cut $5 billion of MBS purchases and $5 of treasury purchases. Still at $75 billion a month.

9. da1

da1 Member

TSLA has to be the most volatile stock. Goes down, up, down, up, back down again.

10. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

only newsworthy bc it shows that they've started..

but other than that it means nothing. still at $75b a month.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That $75b will be declining to $0 over the next year. Now pricing in rate hikes for 2015.

12. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

interesting.. just the other day I was reading how Yellen wants to reduce long term rates, though?

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Their balance sheet is simply getting too large. If they want to control the long end then they will have to find a more creative way to do it. Also, the economy is getting better here and around the world so rates will go up if the economy improves due to the demand for money.

14. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

HALO is jumping on CNBC mention bc of huge January call volume buying.

There is also speculation of potential buyout because of the new CEO just hired. She was CEO at Onyx, and as we know, Onyx was bought out huge by Amgen.

PR coming this Friday. Wheeeeee

15. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Jim Cramer mad money pump on it soon.

Lol

16. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

more potential buyout info..

Helen Torley, the CEO, was hired by Onyx 3 months before the Onyx buyout.

she is a marketing and buyout expert.. expect good days from HALO ahead

17. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

speaking of who/what concerning CEOs and Directors..

TNXP has a great lineup that IMO, foreshadows success.

a 75 yr old former GSK executive doesn't waste his time with something that may or may not work. Its GOING to work. low dose cyclobenzaprine? in biotech world thats easy money.

18. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Nobody knows the company's real value, they won't even release the numbers of cars they've sold or their % market share. They are the leaders in EV technology, but that's not saying much, since it's still a niche market for upper class elites.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Here's a really good investing strategy for the somewhat active investor. This also applies to any major index.

http://schaefferstradingfloor.com/why-being-kicked-out-of-the-nasdaq-100-is-a-good-thing/id=7421

Why Being Kicked Out Of The Nasdaq-100 Is A Good Thing
    by Ryan Detrick, CMT • December 16, 2013 10:58 am • Breaking News, Broad Market Analysis, Quick Hits

The Nasdaq just announced their annual changes to the NASDAQ-100 Index (NDX). DISH Network Corporation (DISH), Illumina, Inc. (ILMN), NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NXPI), TripAdvisor, Inc. (TRIP) and Tractor Supply Company (TSCO) were all added. Fossil Group, Inc. (FOSL), Microchip Technology Incorporated (MCHP), Nuance Communications, Inc. (NUAN), Sears Holdings Corporation (SHLD) and DENTSPLY International Inc. (XRAY) were all removed.

This is where things get interesting. We’ve looked at this before and the names that are removed tend to outperform the names that were added! For a refresher, here’s what I said last year about it. In the end, it all comes down to expectations. If a company is removed, more often than not, a lot of bad things have been happening. Versus if it is added, the future looks very bright. Well, if you buy simply based on expectations, it is easier to beat lowered expectations versus higher expectations.

Check out how the changes from last December have turned out.

[​IMG]

Sure enough, the names removed saw some big winners and just one [BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY)] is actually lower since the changes. Netflix, Inc. (NFLX) is the prime example of what can happen when a company has good news and sentiment is very negative, as it has gained more than 300%. Last year, I was on Yahoo Breakout with Matt Nesto and mentioned why being removed could be very bullish and cited NFLX specifically as one to watch. Nice when it works.

So is this just a one-time thing? Last year played out, but what about longer-term? Here is the data going back since 2009. A year later, those removed are up nearly twice as much as those added.

[​IMG]

Lastly, here are the results going clear back to 1995. Again, we see steady outperformance from those removed versus those added. Please note on this one, though; the issue is a lot of these tickers have changed and others simply don’t exist anymore. So be aware it isn’t 100% accurate, but is the best that we could find and I felt it was still worth sharing.

[​IMG]

So will Sears or Fossil be huge winners when we look back this time next year? I sure wouldn’t want to bet against it.

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

lol, i'm shocked, the market soared no matter what the fed said.

they're not going to taper? that's fantastic news!

they're starting to taper? that's fantastic news!