1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Reed Sheppard is a Rocket! And what happened with that Clingan smokescreen? We're talking Rockets live at 10:30am CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    It's time for the second round of the Draft! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room at 3:00pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #44?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

#bewell

2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

eddie and robbie, please take your bickering elsewhere. get each other's number and send hate texts back and forth, but stop spamming this thread.

3. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I really like pxd. it has a good daily Gap which makes for a nice day trade for options if you do not care to hold overnight.

4. benchmoochie

with pxd and first hour $7 gap the 180 calls went from 3.60 ask to 6.40 bid. not a bad first hour trade. too bad I was at the doctors. ha ha

5. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

What's going on with TNXP? Chance for turnaround today?

6. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

Nothing wrong Pete just consolidation up 100% in 2 weeks, CEO presents at Oppenheimer at 4 this afternoon, probably will be bullish after hours and tom onwards. It's cheap here I see a worst case 1 year $20-30 price and $100-150m market cap going into October results release, I bought more at $8.60 today my avg price is $6.22 now

7. benchmoochie

seems pxd is holding that 8.50 level. if it goes under probably goes to the 7s. could be sell the news after the conference call. i'm surprised that eddie is following this everyday since he's in it for the long haul. I would just buy it and forget about it.

8. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

well i dont exactly have a small $10 or 20k investment in it so I don't see what's wrong with keeping up with it. Im up nicely but that doesn't mean opportunities like today don't arise for me to buy more. I upped my stake today by nearly 20% in the mid 8s

9. benchmoochie

just meant these daily fluctuations Are worthless if you are looking for that 40 bagger. who really cares if your cost basis is 6 or 10 if you think this is at 200

10. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

there are opportunities to add on dips, himx was up today and tnxp was down, sell some here buy some there....are you really trying to give me lessons on how to manage positions?

11. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Anyone have thoughts on the overall market? My feeling is that the markets are over-inflated and will correct soon. Quantitative easing seems to be artificially supporting the market.

12. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

people have said the market is overinflated and due for a correction since 13,000

the reality is there is nowhere else to put money now so the inflows are coming in big numbers, people are buying dividend stocks that act like bonds. QE will never end and may even go up under yellen, the reason the FED keeps saying maybe here, maybe there is so inflation doesn't take off.......really if they wanted to taper they would've by now but that would expose the real economy and screw dems ever before mid term elections.....so it hasn't happened

and it wont

It's called QE infinity for a reason, read about yellen, she's a fan of negative interest rates, no lie she thinks its a good idea to deposit $100 and get back $98

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Amel is on your side. A lot of people I know stopped investing entirely this year and are just going to wait for the next 2008, whenever that happens.

I feel like too many people are of this mindset though. I've decided to just keep chugging along with my dollar cost averaging (ie investing a reasonable, set amount at regular intervals regardless of the state of the market) and just trying to invest in good companies either way. Seems to work out in the long run.

14. da1

da1 Member

Set a stop loss as insurance.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The markets aren't really over-inflated. Remember companies have very low debt and interest levels so that helps out profit margins. Plus they are buying back a lot of stock currently. Also, you may have missed it but I posted a stat a few pages back talking about how the market performs after posting 30%+ year over year returns. http://paststat.com/blog/when-spy-posts-more-than-30-yoy-gains-what-next/ Basically, expect us to keep trending up over the next year.

16. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I appreciate the opinions. I am in my first year studying economics/finance, so I obviously have pretty much zero experience.

17. benchmoochie

I'm not telling you how to manage anything. In fact I could give a peep about your positions. I like to laugh at how you banter back and forth with people on this thread.

And for the record, I don't give a peep about your trading record. The fact that you try and gloat to this point and only point out your winners and never admitting your losers says enough to me about your boyhood mentality.
    Rather than try to argue with other people in here like Robbie, you could try and learn something from people with different perspectives than your own.

18. da1

da1 Member

Even someone that invests in basic index funds can do well, without having to worry about checking daily.

19. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

ok but how am i supposed to initiate a discussion with a guy like you who won't post his trades yet wants to be an armchair quarterback regarding my transparent trades?

20. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

you don't. let your trades speak for themselves.