1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

I just took profit on my TSLA short that I initiated yesterday.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I like Reggie Middleton and there are good counter points. That said AAPL still makes a **** ton of money and there are no real signs of that slowing down. Carl Icahn doesn't seem to have much of an issue with Tim Cook and how he runs the business or the products being put out. His only issue with AAPL is their capital allocation strategy and rightfully so. The company is stupid for not doing a massive buyback with rates being so cheap.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You could have said the same thing about RIM a few years ago. Their market cap was 70-80billion. You could have said the same thing about apple 30 years ago.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yes you can find failures in business that said AAPL should still be doing a lot more with it's money and taking advantage of very low rates.

5. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

HIMX did really good today, up over 10%. Damn it, Eddiewinslow.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He is going to regret selling those calls. He won't admit it but he hasn't been in the stock for the whole ride up. Granted it was a great call and he has made good money in it, but he should have just stayed long like he thought rather than trying to get cute with it and trade it.

#5926 robbie380, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  7. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Anybody care to guess what will happen once the Fed reaches their Debt Limit in mid-October ??

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Nothing to our govt finances. Market might start to sell off just simply because of how dysfunctional the govt is though.

9. Major

Major Member

If we were to actually default, you'll have a total market crash. I think everyone is functioning under the assumption that this wouldn't ever happen - but the market's not going up until both of these issues are resolved. In the meantime, the market will probably be a slow trickle down or flat, with volatility steadily increasing.

10. Ron from the G

And now I'm going long. =)

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I literally just strolled into the office right now and saw TSLA was down 10 and I was like ****! Sucks I chumped the trade, but yeah I just got long too lol. Let's see how this goes. Maybe look for 175 but I'm keeping it tight.

...and I'm out on that 170.50 break. gonna let this thing settle, but I think 160 is in its future.

still short fb though that one has been holding in really really well. i'll probably cover some at 49 and then i'd like to hold the rest to the 20 day moving avg. wait and see.

#5931 robbie380, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  12. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Think it's too late to get in on HIMX?

13. Ron from the G

I'm also short FB from a few days ago via some sold vertical calls. The trade is doing pretty well and I might consider taking profit on it today.

14. Ron from the G

Be patient and wait for a pull back if you want to go long. If it pulls back to the 8-8.50 range I'd be a buyer.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

All I can do is look at the chart, so let's see how it closes today. It rejected that 11.50 level pretty strongly so far today. FWIW I think it is probably safe to get long in the 9.50 - 10 range or somewhere near the 20 day moving average. The bottom line is that it is in a great uptrend and breakout, but it's up nearly 100% in a little over a month. I think the stock should continue to move higher, but expect volatility.

16. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

going long SRPT! already was long INO

short-mid term im on HALO, MSTX, and ZLCS (after the R/S this morning)

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That's where I would be buying too if it had a good pullback. Otherwise it's not really on the radar.

18. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

OMER is up 15% today, I totally regret selling it yesterday. It's basically the only stock moving up today, every other stock seems to be going down the tubes.

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

The first stock I ever purchased other than what I get through my employer (MSFT) was HIMX last month. That was exciting, but I only bought a small amount and sold it around $8. I'd love to buy into something else and invest a little more money this time around. I still have some INO but it's not doing much and has been pretty boring. Anything else you guys see that is a value right now but has potential to really take off soon? I'm still learning obviously.

20. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

harrisment i was the one who mentioned HIMX, it hit $11.45 this morning then president obozo warned of a market crash and it fell to $10.55.

I just bought a HUGE stake in IAG. It's $4.65 right now, was $16 a year ago, $22 when gold was at it's peak in 2011. It pays a massive dividend over 5% and if we default this thing could skyrocket in 2 weeks, if not, gold is cheap and a 5% dividend is very tasty.

I sold my remaining HIMX this morning at $11.33 and am tempted to buy in around $10.50 as I think the future is big but the market looks ready to tumble with neither side giving in, ill be waiting it out in IAG, gold is a safehaven, but this safehaven has a chance of a huge upside as I side it is 1/4 what it was a year ago