1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

"still the best center ever"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AB, Nov 8, 2000.

1. AB

AB Contributing Member

Following from Houston Chronicle... http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/741031

Rockets center Hakeem Olajuwon said facing Shaquille O'Neal is the greatest challenge in the NBA today. Speaking of Olajuwon, O'Neal went a step further.

"Hakeem is still the best center ever," O'Neal said. "Hakeem will always be my favorite.

"You never could break him. All the other guys I could break them. The other guys starting complaining. Hakeem, he never said anything."

Olajuwon has struggled to regain his touch from before last season's hernia and bronchial problems. But O'Neal believes Olajuwon would capture some of his old form.

"I'm sure he still has spurts of greatness," O'Neal said.

Olajuwon was sure of much more about O'Neal.

"There's no question now Shaq is the best player in the league," Olajuwon said. "For me playing against Shaq, that's a measurement to see where I am."

------------------

2. DaneB

DaneB Member

That right there is one of the reasons why I respect Shaquille and why he is my second favorite center in the league. I first became a Rockets fan/Shaq fan after watching the Finals of 95. After getting Shaq's jersey I ended up like Hakeem a lot more because I enjoyed the way he played a lot. The way he moved as if he was a guard and the fact that he was extremely versatile. I'm not sure if this is true, but I think in his prime he could probably play any position, except for point guard.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I suppose I can't really call myself a Shaq hater, but I have a hard time appreciating what he does since it is so graceless and forceful when we had so many years of Dream's magic.

Plus I swear Shaq is brain dead. I have never seen a player show less emotion or even general reaction to the activity on the court (save when he dunks, which he digs [​IMG]). I have a difficult time respecting a guy who is so obviously gifted, and doesn't seem to realize or rejoice in it.

------------------
    She hates testicles, thus limiting the men she can admire to Democratic
    candidates for president.
    -- John Greenway, "The American Tradition", on feminist
    Elizabeth Gould Davis

4. Miggidy Markell

Shaq does know something! Hakeem is the best center of all-time! Hakeem knows he was way better then Shaq but will never admitt it as he doesn't want to look up himself. That's another thing I like about Dream! But I liked Barkley more and he was up himself.....in a good way! That reminds me, poor Charles! I still feel sorry for the Round Mound of Rebound!

------------------
    Miggidy Markell says:

1. Eastcoast is da sh*t
    2. Rockets rule
    3. Hip/Hop is dope
    4. Buy the new Ruff Ryders album!

Miggidy Markell is watching
    Stay STRAPPED & WATCH ya back or be Assimilated.

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

There is no doubt that Hakeem is the best center of all time. Because if Hakeem had a Jason Collier holding him in his prime he would have had atleast 40pts.

6. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Can't we please have just one thread without you bashing Collier? Please? Just one?

------------------
    Save our children from the TAAS test:
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Im not bashing Collier Im telling the truth. If Collier would have tried to hold Hakeem in his prime he would have put 40pts on him. Plain and Simple. Thats why I think Hakeem is better than Shaq.

8. Behad

Whatever....

------------------
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

9. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Shaq respects and admires Dream so much, he doesn't want to make him look bad. He does not go all out when he plays against Dream. He doesn't attack the rim, he settles for jump shots or hook shots in the lane. You watch and see, Shaq will attack the rim tonight against the spers.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

10. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Interesting theory, Bob. Shaq did level Hakeem once and got called. I'll be watching tonight. Should be an entertaining game.

------------------

11. Behad

Interesting, but why didn't Shaq turn it up when Collier was in the game?

------------------
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

12. BobFinn*

Maybe because Collie was hanging on his arms? And hacking the crap out of him? Collier is no little pup, he is a pretty big guy.

------------------

13. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Collie is big. Shaq dwarfs a lot of centers, but I kept thinking how Collie was a lot closer to Shaq's size than I expected.

------------------

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I refuse to believe that Shaq takes it easy on Dream, or doesn't give it his all. Who knows if last night's game could be critical to the Lakers' playoff seeding? "Not going all out" is pretty close to tanking a game on purpose if you ask me. And I've seen Shaq do much much worse to Hak in the past (like, the 99 playoffs).

Give Dream credit for playing a good game. He's not the player he once was, but he's still got a little left in him.

------------------

15. BobFinn*

Sam, Dream was up for this matchup for sure, however, Shaq was not giving his full effort. Dream still has those quick hands (5 steals) but he is not the leaper that he used to be. Also, the Rockets did play a great team defense, collapsing to help Dream. These Shaq-Dream matchups are all Dream has left. Shaq will not let his idol look bad.

------------------

16. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

No way can you say that Shaq doesn't go all out vs. Dream. I do think however that, when matching up against Hakeem, Shaq wants to impress Dream. Shaq tries to shoot more jump hooks, more turn around jumpers, and tries less to muscle his guy to the rim and dunk on him. Even at Dream's advanced age, he still has quick hands, and is a smart defender. It is tough to spin off of a guy who had maybe the best low post spin move ever.

------------------
    - Beck

Dream...bring back the goggles

17. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

shaq stills plays well against dream. I think everyone admired MJ(besides the pistons) but they still came out and played as hard as they could.

18. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

If you think Shaq is braindead for not showing any emotion on the court, I'd hate to hear what you have to say on Tim Duncan.

Btw, I've never liked Shaq's game, but he does deserve some props for giving one of the greatest centers of all time some respect. Though, I guess he doesn't have much of a choice, after getting embarrassed by Dream in '95.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    We don't live for the destination. We live for the journey.
    http://www.clutchtown.com

19. kissofdeath

kissofdeath Member

Bob -- It's not about shaq not going "all out". I think he changes his game when he plays Dream. Dream has always played the game within the spirit of the rules -- he's always been a finesse center (more of a power foward in centers' clothing). Shaq has always pushed the spirit of the rules -- lowering his shoulder and being the proverbial bull in the china shop. He'll mow down smaller opposing centers until he's called for it -- which, as we know, is a rarity. You're on to something -- however, I think Shaq tries to play Dream's game when they match up. Its' more about Shaq's respect for the way Dream plays the game. I noticed it back in the finals of '94-'95.

------------------

20. BobFinn*

kiss, you are 100% correct. I guess my "Shaq doesn't go all out" quote was a little harsh. He does change his game, falling right into Dream's trap.

------------------